Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:
  Hide contents

Didn't John legend's character say that Sebastian would get a cut of the album revenue/concert ticket sales? If we're gonna get stuck on the 50k/year part.

He did, but they aren't touring 100% of the year either...so he's not actually getting $1,000 every single week of the year for the touring part of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Lol, I fucking hate when people say millennial entitlement.  Like an entire generation of people just are oblivious to real world and expect everything to be given to them.

Talk about not understanding the generation at all.  People my age are cutthroat competitive to get a chance to go into massive amounts of debt for school and work 40+ hour a week unpaid internships in hope that it could lead to a career.  Fully recognizing the job market is shit if you don't go into the right one.

I also don't get where the entitlement argument of this movie is from.  It fully recognizes some of the flat out luck and difficulty it is to actually achieve a dream etc.  The theme is about how pursuing goals and relationships, and how temporary aspects of your life shape you permanently.

I get that there's backlash because this is the big Oscar frontrunner, and it's cool to hate the frontrunner, but some of these complaints seem either nitpicky ribbon-existent.  Maybe I saw a different movie, idk.

Not every movie is going to work for everyone though, I get it.  There's popular movies on here that don't work for me.

That's all well and good, but these characters still rub me the wrong way.

Sebastian blatantly ignores instructions from his boss and gets fired. Doesn't seem to recognize that he did something wrong. Yammers on and on about jazz, and yet is played by Ryan Gosling. Gets a great fucking deal that fits his talent, and is still moping around. He should be fucking happy!

If you're a millennial stuck in a crappy place, you should resent this guy.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You didn't get that feeling when he's grousing about playing commercially viable music with John Legend? For a great wage, mind you.

On a much, much, much smaller scale I've had to make a living doing something I was good at but didn't much enjoy, so I could sympathize. And it's not like he's constantly in some woe-is-me state or something.

Spoiler

He accepts the fact that he needs the money and he has to compromise, and when push comes to shove, he shows up and does the work - he looks like a comfortable professional on stage, never goes against Legend like he did against J.K. Simmons (character development says hi), stays for the photoshoot even as it pretty much costs him the relationship. I'm fine with him not exactly being over the moon about it every minute of his life. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Lol, I fucking hate when people say millennial entitlement.  Like an entire generation of people just are oblivious to real world and expect everything to be given to them.

Talk about not understanding the generation at all.  People my age are cutthroat competitive to get a chance to go into massive amounts of debt for school and work 40+ hour a week unpaid internships in hope that it could lead to a career.  Fully recognizing the job market is shit if you don't go into the right one.

I also don't get where the entitlement argument of this movie is from.  It fully recognizes some of the flat out luck and difficulty it is to actually achieve a dream etc.  The theme is about how pursuing goals and relationships, and how temporary aspects of your life shape you permanently.

I get that there's backlash because this is the big Oscar frontrunner, and it's cool to hate the frontrunner, but some of these complaints seem either nitpicky or non-existent.  Maybe I saw a different movie, idk.

Not every movie is going to work for everyone though, I get it.  There's popular movies on here that don't work for me.

Hey man, I'm technically a Millennial and I think there is a lot of entitlement in our generation. Comes from the parents, who are mostly Baby Boomers that spoiled their kids. I was spoiled as a kid. I am very grateful to my parents for everything they've done for me in my life.

I learned very quick after graduation from college that you can't always get what you want and you have to balance your budget first and foremost. I still live like a cheapskate 9 years later. Try not to take it for granted that I've been pretty lucky in my current job and make a hell of a lot more than I did right after college. Oil industry is very unstable with the ups and downs, so it's a good idea to plan for the worst case scenario instead of assuming it will always be great.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

On a much, much, much smaller scale I've had to make a living doing something I was good at but didn't much enjoy, so I could sympathize. And it's not like he's constantly in some woe-is-me state or something. He accepts the fact that he needs the money and he has to compromise, and when push comes to shove, he shows up and does the work - he looks like a comfortable professional on stage, never goes against Legend like he did against J.K. Simmons, stays for the photoshoot even as it pretty much costs him the relationship. I'm fine with him not exactly being over the moon about it every minute of his life. 

Nope, not buying it.

He seems genuinely unhappy playing the keyboard in front of thousands of screaming fans.

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

For all the grumbling I had about a few aspects, I'd still give the film a B.

But I agree with much of what Tele and cannastop say, but to a lesser degree.

I originally gave the movie an A, maybe because of the

Spoiler

satisfaction of the two characters not getting what they wanted in the end.

Very pretty movie, I have to say. Might still be an A, just based on how skillfully it was put together.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

That's all well and good, but these characters still rub me the wrong way.

Sebastian blatantly ignores instructions from his boss and gets fired. Doesn't seem to recognize that he did something wrong. Yammers on and on about jazz, and yet is played by Ryan Gosling. Gets a great fucking deal that fits his talent, and is still moping around. He should be fucking happy!

If you're a millennial stuck in a crappy place, you should resent this guy.

I don't think you're necessarily supposed to feel bad for him though.  He's a prick in the movie, and him being a prick is what leads to him losing Mia.  

I didn't have a problem with him being a prick.  The ending shows character change as well, he gives up his idea of "Chicken on a Stick" for one, and he matures a little bit out of being an entitled asshole.

Sebastian is a pretty entitled character in the movie, I get that.  But I don't get how that's a problem with the movie?  He gets called out in the movie for being an asshole, which his character is at parts.  But then again, most people act like one at one point in their life.  And just because his character is an asshole in parts doesn't mean there aren't likable or charming aspects about him that work as well.

Im not getting the argument on how this works against the movie.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

I don't think you're necessarily supposed to feel bad for him though.  He's a prick in the movie, and him being a prick is what leads to him losing Mia.  

I didn't have a problem with him being a prick.  The ending shows character change as well, he gives up his idea of "Chicken on a Stick" for one, and he matures a little bit out of being an entitled asshole.

Sebastian is a pretty entitled character in the movie, I get that.  But I don't get how that's a problem with the movie?  He gets called out in the movie for being an asshole, which his character is at parts.  But then again, most people act like one at one point in their life.  And just because his character is an asshole in parts doesn't mean there aren't likable or charming aspects about him that work as well.

Yeah, I like that he's an actual character, not a simple bland romantic hero.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

When does he mature? Do you just assume that because

Spoiler

he gets a club but doesn't get the girl?

The reason why Sebastian's shallow character is a problem is because the movie itself is shallow. I think the movie intended a lot more sympathy for him that frankly isn't earned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Hey man, I'm technically a Millennial and I think there is a lot of entitlement in our generation. Comes from the parents, who are mostly Baby Boomers that spoiled their kids. I was spoiled as a kid. I am very grateful to my parents for everything they've done for me in my life.

I learned very quick after graduation from college that you can't always get what you want and you have to balance your budget first and foremost. I still live like a cheapskate 9 years later. Try not to take it for granted that I've been pretty lucky in my current job and make a hell of a lot more than I did right after college. Oil industry is very unstable with the ups and downs, so it's a good idea to plan for the worst case scenario instead of assuming it will always be great.

Look, I'm not saying there aren't spoiled people.  And despite not coming from a rich family, I'm definitely lucky and blessed compared to how hard some other friends of mine had it.

I just always find it demeaning when I hear "millennial entitlement/millennial whinings" or hear my entire generation getting told to grow up and suck it up for a number of things.  It's insulting.  I'm not an idiot.  I realize you don't get everything you want, and life isn't handed to you on a silver platter.  I'm also not lazy, I work, do research, taking 18 hours in school (while trying to maintain a 4.0), while trying to be involved and build connections, and take out loans to pay for it all, all in the hopes that maybe I can get accepted into a good graduate school so maybe I can get a well-paying job.

Plenty of other people in my generation are similar, or honestly even more dedicated, in their work ethic.  I don't think the world owes me shit.  So whenever I hear about "millennial entitlement" and such, it groups me and others in with it, and it feels demeaning and insulting.  Having to sit and listen to people tell you how sucky and entitled your generation all the time starts to strike a nerve, even if I know it's a generic term and not aimed at individuals.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Look, I'm not saying there aren't spoiled people.  And despite not coming from a rich family, I'm definitely lucky and blessed compared to how hard some other friends of mine had it.

I just always find it demeaning when I hear "millennial entitlement/millennial whinings" or hear my entire generation getting told to grow up and suck it up for a number of things.  It's insulting.  I'm not an idiot.  I realize you don't get everything you want, and life isn't handed to you on a silver platter.  I'm also not lazy, I work, do research, taking 18 hours in school (while trying to maintain a 4.0), while trying to be involved and build connections, and take out loans to pay for it all, all in the hopes that maybe I can get accepted into a good graduate school so maybe I can get a well-paying job.

Plenty of other people in my generation are similar, or honestly even more dedicated, in their work ethic.  I don't think the world owes me shit.  So whenever I hear about "millennial entitlement" and such, it groups me and others in with it, and it feels demeaning and insulting.  Having to sit and listen to people tell you how sucky and entitled your generation all the time starts to strike a nerve, even if I know it's a generic term and not aimed at individuals.

I think a lot of it starts with our parents and their parents. This idea of going to college to get a good job? It has been ingrained in society for a long time. 50 years ago if you got a college degree, you would very likely end up with a good job. Our generation was the first one to go to college thinking it was the right thing to do and then you graduate with a ton of debt because college cost has gone up way faster than regular inflation.

Kids have piled up student loan debt and then graduate into a job market that pretty much totally collapsed from what it was 20 years ago due to technology and outsourcing. It's a fucked up situation, but I definitely remember growing up with parents making it seem like we would be set for life if we just got that college degree. Nope, not even close. This is the sense of entitlement that I believe a lot of us had growing up. The 1990's were a pretty good time to grow up. I'm damn lucky that I stumbled into a very specialized degree, but many others are not so fortunate.

• Like 1