CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

And we have are a bunch of conlifcitng rumore anyway.

I think negotiations are taking place, but then most negotiations end up going now where.

And, I repeat, it will get interesting when, early next year, the hunt for the next James Bond gets going, since Cavill is

certainly among the top contenders.

And I do not want get into a James Bond vs Superman fanboy war, but I would say the 007 in terms of pure prestige..and probably money...is a better role to have the Supes.

52 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And, I repeat, it will get interesting when, early next year, the hunt for the next James Bond gets going, since Cavill is

certainly among the top contenders.

As were Clive Owen and Hugh Jackman back in 2005. Being a top contender for James Bond in the public's eyes didn't do them any favours, and it won't help Cavill either (seeing as Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Daniel Craig probably weren't top contenders either suggests to me that being a top contender is a surefire way to lose the role).

58 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And I do not want get into a James Bond vs Superman fanboy war, but I would say the 007 in terms of pure prestige..and probably money...is a better role to have the Supes.

You're not wrong there.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:50 PM, MrGamer said:

JJ during Force Awakens and Star Trek 09: Clayton Kershaw during the regular season

JJ during Rise of Skywalker and Into Darkness: Clayton Kershaw during the post season

@Plain Old Tele

How did nobody tag this man.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 6/5/2020 at 2:02 AM, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I can see Bond going to a newcomer which will be ironic because Cavill lost the role because he was too young. And I think both roles, bond and superman are top tier and iconic roles. Any actor would be happy with any of those.

On the other hand, Timothy Dalton  lost the role of Bond in 1968 because he was too young  but got cast 18 years later.

Roger Moore was a finailist for the original screen Bond, but was passed over for Sean Connory, but got the role in 1972.

There is a history of actors being passed over for Bond, but then getting the role.

My own feeling is they will probably go with a newcomer..an actor with a solid reputation but who has not yet a "name".

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

On the other hand, Timothy Dalton  lost the role of Bond in 1968 because he was too young  but got cast 18 years later.

Dalton was offered the role twice, actually: the first time was after Connery left (according to Dalton in an interview, he was "24 or 25" when it happened, which would put this initial offer around 1971, when Connery left for good). He didn't lose it, though: he rejected the offer because he felt he was too young.

The second time was during the midpoint of Moore's Bond tenure (1979/1980); again he rejected the offer because he didn't like the direction the series was going in at the time (this also could have been leverage on Cubby's part to get Moore to come back).

When he finally got the part in 1986, it was only because Pierce Brosnan's contract with Remington Steele had been renewed (ironically, thanks to reports that Brosnan would be the next James Bond) and Cubby declaring that James Bond would not be Remington Steele.

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Roger Moore was a finailist for the original screen Bond, but was passed over for Sean Connory, but got the role in 1972.

This highlighted part's pretty much been debunked: Cubby Broccoli said in his autobiography that Moore was Ian Fleming's preferred choice before Connery thanks to The Saint, but The Saint didn't begin airing until the day before Dr. No was released. 
Roger Moore said in his autobiography that he was never approached for the part before Connery, and that it wasn't until 1966/1967 that he became a contender (Fleming's own letters suggest he was looking at "movie stars" for Bond such as David Niven and Richard Burton, and not a primarily-TV actor like Moore).

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

There is a history of actors being passed over for Bond, but then getting the role.

Yes, but it's only happened 3/6 times. There's almost literally a 50/50 chance it could happen again. It's also worth mentioning that none of these actors had held a film role as iconic as Superman before they landed Bond.

46 minutes ago, dudalb said:

My own feeling is they will probably go with a newcomer..an actor with a solid reputation but who has not yet a "name".

This is my feeling as well: it helps that, by and large, a sizeable portion of Bond actors fit that description when they got the role (Connery, Dalton and Craig). There's plenty of young British and Irish actors around without name recognition who could probably do Bond better than the same 6 established actors who keep showing up on "the next James Bond" lists, and for 1/10th the cost.

About the only the actor who everybody said was "the next James Bond" was actually picked was Brosnan,and even then he had to wait becuase of  the makers of Reminton Steel not letting him out of his contract.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

By the way, do people still want Faora and Colonel Hardy to come back?

Sure.  She was more interesting than most of the rest of the movie...and their dynamic was great, in an otherwise problematic film.  But it ain't gonna happen.  If Cavill ever gets another movie (unlikely, I'm betting), they're going to branch off from reminding anyone of the Snyder-period as much as possible.  The Snyder Cut is his final goodbye, and it's a kind of a miracle that he got that. 

14 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Sure.  She was more interesting than most of the rest of the movie...and their dynamic was great, in an otherwise problematic film.  But it ain't gonna happen.  If Cavill ever gets another movie (unlikely, I'm betting), they're going to branch off from reminding anyone of the Snyder-period as much as possible.  The Snyder Cut is his final goodbye, and it's a kind of a miracle that he got that. 

Probably. I certainly wouldn’t expect to ever see those two again. I just figured I’d ask, since those two (more so Faora) seem to be fan favorites.

Edited by WittyUsername

On 6/7/2020 at 12:05 PM, WittyUsername said:

Probably. I certainly wouldn’t expect to ever see those two again. I just figured I’d ask, since those two (more so Faora) seem to be fan favorites.

Yeah, though Faora is just Ursa from Superman 2 with a different name (I don't even know why they bothered to change it,since they kept Zod).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, though Faora is just Ursa from Superman 2 with a different name (I don't even know why they bothered to change it,since they kept Zod).

Faora is a character from the comics who Ursa was based on. The better question is, why did the Christopher Reeve movies bother to change her name from Faora to Ursa?

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, WittyUsername said:

Faora is a character from the comics who Ursa was based on. The better question is, why did the Christopher Reeve movies bother to change her name from Faora to Ursa?

Faora first appeared in the comics about 2 months after the first Chris Reeve film began filming, and was more misandrist murderer (she was banished to the Phantom Zone for murdering 23 men) than Zod's right-hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the later writers took inspiration from Ursa when writing her.

21 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Faora first appeared in the comics about 2 months after the first Chris Reeve film began filming, and was more misandrist murderer (she was banished to the Phantom Zone for murdering 23 men) than Zod's right-hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the later writers took inspiration from Ursa when writing her.

So she did. I could’ve sworn Faora’s first comic book appearance was earlier than that. In that case, there’s definitely a good chance that the comic book Faora was inspired by Ursa. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

So she did. I could’ve sworn Faora’s first comic book appearance was earlier than that. 

Having checked, it seems that only four of the big Superman villains (Ultra-Humanite, Lex Luthor, Mister Mxyzptlk and Toyman) actually made their debuts within the first five years of Superman's existence (1939, 1940, 1943, 1944, respectively).

Brainiac and Bizarro first appeared in 1958; Metallo in '59; General Zod in 1961; Parasite in 1966; Atomic Skull in 1976; Faora in '77; Mongul in 1980; and Doomsday in 1992.

For such an iconic superhero, the majority of his iconic villains seem fairly new by comparison.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:33 PM, 35MM-18 said:

Having checked, it seems that only four of the big Superman villains (Ultra-Humanite, Lex Luthor, Mister Mxyzptlk and Toyman) actually made their debuts within the first five years of Superman's existence (1939, 1940, 1943, 1944, respectively).

Brainiac and Bizarro first appeared in 1958; Metallo in '59; General Zod in 1961; Parasite in 1966; Atomic Skull in 1976; Faora in '77; Mongul in 1980; and Doomsday in 1992.

For such an iconic superhero, the majority of his iconic villains seem fairly new by comparison.

Supes' rogues gallery has never been as deep as Batman's.

And one of Supes big time villlians ...Darkseid and company..were  salvaged from Jack Kirby's Fourth World after that was cancelled.

• Like 1

Listen: ‘The Witcher’ Star Henry Cavill Talks Leather Pants, His ‘Hideous Smile’ and All Those Superman Rumors

Will you go back to playing Superman again? I googled right before we talked, because I needed the latest rumor. It is just rumor, after rumor, after rumor. What’s the wildest one you’ve heard about you and Superman?

They get wilder and wilder by the day. The amount of speculation, the stuff I read on the Internet, is extraordinary and sometimes frustrating. It’s when you see people stating stuff as fact. Like, “No, that’s not the case. That hasn’t happened, and that conversation isn’t happening.” But the important thing is that people are excited about it, and I think it’s important to be excited about a character like Superman. Superman is a fantastic character. If people are chatting about it, and even if they’re making stuff up, it’s okay, because that means they want to see the character again. And in an ideal world, I would absolutely love to play the character again.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/podcasts/henry-cavill-witcher-superman-snyder-cut-geralt-1234696289/