CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

38 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Abrams confirmed it. It better be the best movie since sliced bread because fan response will be severely muted if it isn't Cavill.

Fan response from a certain highly vocal minority will be muted, but if they announced someone like Michael B Jordan as Superman I think the response from everyone else would completely drown that out. If they cast this right, the sky is the limit.

I liked Cavill in the role and wouldn’t be averse to him doing a proper sequel to MoS, but he’s been in three films now which through no fault of his own saw diminishing returns, and by the time this film comes out it’ll have been over a decade since MoS. Rebooting will mean they’ll be able to drop all the BvS and Justice League baggage which undoubtedly IS a negative for a sizeable portion of the potential audience and would likely limit new viewers who don’t want to dive in with a sequel to a decade old film. With all that considered, you can totally see why WB would consider a reboot as a potentially better option.

I find this “Henry Cavill IS Superman” boycott stuff on Twitter to be pretty silly too. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain (unfortunately), Tom Welling and Tyler Hoechlin have all been Superman. Surely we should be happy about new Superman movies being made, not sacrificing what could be a great film out of blind loyalty to an actor who is doing pretty well for himself outside DC films. I’ve seen it this week with Tyler Hoechlin and people saying he “isn’t Superman” just because he isn’t Cavill. Just be glad we’re getting more Superman, nobody is taking away the Cavill films that you’ve got, and with the multiverse it doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve seen the last of Cavill anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plus, fans have a new ongoing TV show that deals with a different aspect of Superman's life that has almost never been touched before in any media... so regardless of what people think of the show, it's not like Warner is abandoning Kal-El to any degree.  

And I'm sure HBOMax will now offer possibilities for further alternative routes...

I don't think it's coincidental that MAX is finally debuting an HD upgrade of the under-regarded 'Superman: The Animated Series' within the same 24-hour period as Snyder's JL.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Fan response from a certain highly vocal minority will be muted, but if they announced someone like Michael B Jordan as Superman I think the response from everyone else would completely drown that out. If they cast this right, the sky is the limit.

I liked Cavill in the role and wouldn’t be averse to him doing a proper sequel to MoS, but he’s been in three films now which through no fault of his own saw diminishing returns, and by the time this film comes out it’ll have been over a decade since MoS. Rebooting will mean they’ll be able to drop all the BvS and Justice League baggage which undoubtedly IS a negative for a sizeable portion of the potential audience and would likely limit new viewers who don’t want to dive in with a sequel to a decade old film. With all that considered, you can totally see why WB would consider a reboot as a potentially better option.

I find this “Henry Cavill IS Superman” boycott stuff on Twitter to be pretty silly too. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain (unfortunately), Tom Welling and Tyler Hoechlin have all been Superman. Surely we should be happy about new Superman movies being made, not sacrificing what could be a great film out of blind loyalty to an actor who is doing pretty well for himself outside DC films. I’ve seen it this week with Tyler Hoechlin and people saying he “isn’t Superman” just because he isn’t Cavill. Just be glad we’re getting more Superman, nobody is taking away the Cavill films that you’ve got, and with the multiverse it doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve seen the last of Cavill anyway.

“More Superman” doesn’t really mean much for most people if it isn’t Clark Kent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

“More Superman” doesn’t really mean much for most people if it isn’t Clark Kent. 

Nobody is saying it won’t be Clark Kent yet though are they, people are just speculating. There’s no reason whatsoever that says Clark needs to be white, he’s an alien from another world after all.

Edited by SnokesLegs

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

Nobody is saying it won’t be Clark Kent yet though are they, people are just speculating. There’s no reason whatsoever that says Clark needs to be white, he’s an alien from another world after all.

No one needs to be white. Superheroes can be any race. In terms of Superman though, there are black people who have donned the identity in the comics. Aside from that, it doesn’t seem to be clear whether or not this is a full reboot or not. Coates made it sound like this is in the DC Extended Universe. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

No one needs to be white. Superheroes can be any race. In terms of Superman though, there are black people who have donned the identity in the comics. Aside from that, it doesn’t seem to be clear whether or not this is a full reboot or not. Coates made it sound like this is in the DC Extended Universe. 

To a certain point, some have it has part of their identity I feel, A white Black Panther would be strange.

Some are particularly easy for any race depending of the setting you put them, wonder woman, superman and so on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

To a certain point, some have it has part of their identity I feel, A white Black Panther would be strange.

Some are particularly easy for any race depending of the setting you put them, wonder woman, superman and so on.

Of course. I wasn’t referring to specific heroes. I meant that generally speaking, there’s obviously no rule that says certain races can’t be superheroes. A white Black Panther would be absurd.

• Like 1

It seems the only way for a Superman film to get made was to give carte blanche to the film makers like Matt Reeves. In that sense I think it's better than leaving Superman in limbo while waiting for either WB or someone else to have faith in Cavill's version.

Just have this be its separate thing or maybe connect to the Matt Reeves Batman if you want.

On Twitter I saw some people suggest the actor who played Cassius Clay (Eli Goree) in One night in Miami, I think that’s a really good choice, he was great in that and is relatively unknown. That’s if they’re going that route. 

• Like 2

I don't know how the general audience think, but having too many different iterations isn't really good to me. Cavil was good Superman, hope they had continued with him.

Part of reason I think there was lack of interest in Homecoming was too many Spider-Man though Holland has filled that place well. 

MCU and Marvel otherwise has done really well with these casting and continuing them, so much so that the actors are synonyms with the on-screen hero. We are at place where BP is not recasted because actor playing him died

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 3

Yeah Cavill is not the only problem here. The other problem is that it's not Clark Kent. I ternational audiences that are not familiar with the comics and just want to see a Superhero movie will be weirded out not only by a black actor being Superman but a Superman that is not Clark Kent. 

GA is not as progressive to some things as you might think and they will question the f out of this movie.

So in that regard I think WB is doing a mistake and they are trying to pander to critics and a very special part of the audience. Basically they are looking for the easy way out once again.

But idk how it will go. It won't be Black Panther by no means. Not only BP was actually a celebration of African American culture but people have only known him portrayed as black. The two versions of Superman have nothing like that going on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Yeah Cavill is not the only problem here. The other problem is that it's not Clark Kent. I ternational audiences that are not familiar with the comics and just want to see a Superhero movie will be weirded out not only by a black actor being Superman but a Superman that is not Clark Kent. 

GA is not as progressive to some things as you might think and they will question the f out of this movie.

So in that regard I think WB is doing a mistake and they are trying to pander to critics and a very special part of the audience. Basically they are looking for the easy way out once again.

But idk how it will go. It won't be Black Panther by no means. Not only BP was actually a celebration of African American culture but people have only known him portrayed as black. The two versions of Superman have nothing like that going on.

So a movie can’t do well internationally cause it has a black lead ?

I can understand there might be some hesitancy cause people aren’t as familiar with these other versions of Superman but I don’t see why the movie can’t do well if it’s good. It’s still a superhero movie. 

Tbh, not to sound rude but you just sound bitter cause this isn’t what you want. 

It may do poorly sure, but that doesn’t mean the movie shouldn’t be given a chance. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I didn't see any confusion about Miles Morales being this new black Spider-Man that wasn't Peter Parker when Into the Spider-Verse came out and that did fine. And outside of racist asswipes like The Quartering, I doubt people are going to be confused or turned off by Superman being Black, especially when this is a reboot. If anything, a POC Superman makes this more interesting and stand out from almost every other major Superman adaptation made in the past few years. The creatives already attached are already pretty solid, so as long as they get a really likable and charismatic actor for Superman (and say what you will about DC, they seldom mess up when it comes to casting), this will do just fine.

This reeks of the whole "Ariel can't be black! She needs the red hair" nonsense

• Like 4