CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Could it also just not be that you're used to the Cavill suit?  After all, when *I* look at it in the set photos, I see a cheap muscle suit with exaggerated gloss and sheen.  Not to mention a really prominent... bulge. 

(also, Superman shouldn't be "alien", but that's a different topic)

But it works better on-screen.  Tend to think one should actually wait and see how this looks within the tone and style of the movie.  Plus color grading, CGI touchups and everything else.

Or maybe I just don't like it? Superman can be new things to new generations, and this just looks like a live action version of the animated series. Most of the GP doesn't have these entrenched orthodox views on comic book characters and may be open to a reinvention on the umpteenth version of the character. They could've made him futuristic, alien, or darker. Really they could've tried a lot, but they played it safe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Or maybe I just don't like it? Superman can be new things to new generations, and this just looks like a live action version of the animated series. Most of the GP doesn't have these entrenched orthodox views on comic book characters and may be open to a reinvention on the umpteenth version of the character. They could've made him futuristic, alien, or darker. Really they could've tried a lot, but they played it safe.

Well, when it comes to the character of Supes, WB kinda tried that last time and it didn't go over as well as they would have liked, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, now not sure if we're talking about the costume or the character but getting back to the costume I really would just wait and see how it looks in action before passing final judgement.

(also, FWIW, I think the actual "S" on the suit is as about as far away as "trad" or "safe" as one could be, but again we're talking about personal taste here)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

After people complaining about this for 10 years, WB was ready to move in a new direction

tenor.gif

Edited by Mojoguy

51 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

lol they did that last time and everyone hated it because it was a bad idea

• Like 3

Set photos in my version of the internet are going over FAR better than the official pic. I think everything on set has looked terrific so far. Suit looks so bright, David selling it well. Rachel is going to be perfect.

• Like 2

There is a pic circulating since yesterday with Superman, Rick Flagg Sr. and one character that we didn't know that was here so it's possibly a spoiler about the villain.

Edited by belblazer

16 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If you mean the Timmverse "Superman;TAS" that is not a bad thing.I could argue that is the best written screen/TV version of Superman ever.

And as for the Darker Superman, we tried that a little with Snyder,  who made Supes into a clone of Dr. Manhatten in :Watchmen"and it failed. You want to change Supes to the point where he is no longer Supes. Making him into a Dr Manhatten in "Watchmen" clone will not work.

Just be honest and admit you just do not like Superman.

27 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Oh god he looks perfect as Lex.

I prefer the slightly older Lex as in "Superman"TAS" but the Lex in the photo certainly looks much better then anything we have seen in the DCU so far.

16 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

After people complaining about this for 10 years, WB was ready to move in a new direction

tenor.gif

I never got the controversy. Superman had no choice but to kill Zod by the quicket way availabel if he was to save innocent lives.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Yeah I'm a lot more high on this than I would have thought, given all the troubles with DC and the superhero genre in general.

I think it's mostly a very simple reason - this feels like an actual quality production. It seems like it's being done with a well thought out plan in mind, they're taking their time with it and we've gotten these neat updates about every stage of the production instead of it all being wrapped up so quickly like a cheap product off the conveyor belt. It reminds me of the old days when I was following the production of my most anticipated films for years before they finally released!

It's always a very good sign when there's constant chatter about the movie, especially when set pics are released. There's something "big" feeling about that. It kind of reminds me of Barbie, though obviously I don't expect it to be that big.

Movies need to be a big deal again!

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 2

everything looks good/great except the suit texture which looks extremely cheap as others have noted. I mean this thing has to survive going 1000s MPH and heavy-duty fights etc. It looks like its from Walmart. It better be cleaned up in post production.  

Spoiler

Look at the amount of engagement in just set pics.

Even in nonsense like this:

This movie's gonna be gigantic.

• Like 1