CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

The original origin story of Superman way back in 1938 took exactly two pages.

I 1000% agree with Gunn.Even people who have never read a Superman COmic or even watched a Superman movie knows the origin story.

• Like 4

On 6/29/2023 at 11:44 PM, ChipDerby said:

I just started watching marvelous mrs maisel to acquaint myself with Brosnahan. Oh my goodness.

"ANd, yes, the eggrolls have shrimp".

I have loved the show since I watched season one in 2017.

BTW, it's good to watch shows and movies that are 'Non Geek" once in a while.

CLear, from his choice of Rachel, that Gunn  wants a sort of retro Lois, a revival of the fast talking woman reporter so common in the movies of the 30's and 40"s...and which I ampretty sure the original 1938 Lois was based on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It's kind of crazy how well done the origin story was done in Superman (1978) compared to Man of Steel.

That moment when the campy film has a more realistic version of Jonathan Kent dying than the gritty realistic version...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JWR said:

That moment when the campy film has a more realistic version of Jonathan Kent dying than the gritty realistic version...

and of course it comes right after a "you're not my real father" chat

I personally never really had an issue with the Man of Steel childhood stuff. It's a completely different take on how he reacts to the world. (is it a good take? who knows!)

Though I do prefer the IDEA of his dad dying of something he can't actually save him from.

Superman & Lois spoilers

Spoiler

Which is probably why this season of Superman & Lois, with Lois being diagnosed with cancer, has been my favorite Superman thing... ever. Giving him an obstacle he has to face just like the rest of us just really does something to how you perceive him.

I would prefer Jonathan Kent to be alive in this version. Jonathan Kent isn't Uncle Ben, his death isn't necessary to Superman's origin. Keep Jonathan and Martha together and have a scene where Clark goes to meet them, that will be a nice little change from every other Superman movie.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I would prefer Jonathan Kent to be alive in this version. Jonathan Kent isn't Uncle Ben, his death isn't necessary to Superman's origin. Keep Jonathan and Martha together and have a scene where Clark goes to meet them, that will be a nice little change from every other Superman movie.

There's enough dead dad's in the world!!!

3 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Boooo, I wanna see how they design (and blow up) Krypton. 

Thats part of the draw for Superman 2 (again)

i think mr. daniel day lewis could retire out of acting for it honestly

he has had a nice, controversy free, almost perfect career but what has been missing from his film list is a superhero movie surprised he hasn't had any 

awards are nice and all, but to go down in history and win people's hearts, I think one last time he must do iconic performance in a superhero movie, that is what all fans want from him for his career to become next level

and what better way to do that then be superman's dad 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

i think mr. daniel day lewis could retire out of acting for it honestly

he has had a nice, controversy free, almost perfect career but what has been missing from his film list is a superhero movie surprised he hasn't had any 

awards are nice and all, but to go down in history and win people's hearts, I think one last time he must do iconic performance in a superhero movie, that is what all fans want from him for his career to become next level

and what better way to do that then be superman's dad 

come on bruh