CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Gunn seems to know this film will need to look and feel extremely different from current comic book films in order to stand out. We'll see what he does but I hope it feels fresh.

• Like 3

They should have just stolen the older unused subtitle: Man of Tomorrow, (which was also the developing title of the never-made Singer sequel to 'Superman Returns'), since they're calling Supergirl with her phrase.  It will be more than 12 years from 'Man of Steel'...I don't think people would associate.  Oh well...there's still plenty of time for a change.  😁 

On 11/21/2023 at 4:12 AM, Arlborn said:

Not a bad choice at all, but I hope he isn't even close to being the main villain in this movie, I wanna see other superman villains explored more.

I think they should do like Mavel did in the first Avengers; Have Luthor and the Authroitay as the main onscreen villians, but with Darkseid in the background, manipulating things.....\

Yeah, I am a huge Darkseid fan. He is powerful enough to pose a real threat to Supes.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/23/2023 at 1:35 PM, TMP said:

The Rock has “charisma”, or at least the visage of it, while Statham pretty much only appeals to a specific target but hits that mark every-time. Vin produces his own stuff so it doesn’t feel like the right comparison; F&F is his baby so it makes sense why he’s still the face of it. Cavill doesn’t have that, and I’ll be shocked if Highlander is the project that changes his trajectory this much. The Marvel comparison is apt because I don’t think any of those guys will have great careers other than the already established stars like Cumberbatch & RDJ. Stranger things have happened, though, so we’ll see

To be fair, RDJ was pretty much still considered a horrid risk for a leading role when Feige took a chance and cast him as Tony Stark.

People forget that RDJ self destructed in the late 90's his career was basically DOA,and he out of the industry for a numberof years  until he got clean of drugs and begun taking small but  good supporting roles, which led Feige to cast thim, It was considered a huge risk at the time, out of fear RDJ would relapse the pressure of a major role.

So I think conidering RDJ as a star which Marvel made is fair. But CUmberbatch was doing fine when he was cast as Doctor Strange; he was considered one of the  best young actors of his generation. Taking the role of Strange was a good move, but he would have made it big eventually in movies anyway.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:34 PM, excel1 said:

Gunn seems to know this film will need to look and feel extremely different from current comic book films in order to stand out. We'll see what he does but I hope it feels fresh.

The trick is to be fresh but still give people the Supes they  have grown up with. The problem with that bad Abrams script is its' Supes is NOT the Supes we know and love. You need to be very, very, careful when dealing with a charecter as iconic as Superman.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The trick is to be fresh but still give people the Supes they  have grown up with. The problem with that bad Abrams script is its' Supes is NOT the Supes we know and love. You need to be very, very, careful when dealing with a charecter as iconic as Superman.

More than anything, it is important to be true to the tone and values of the characters history while presenting them in a modern way. Beyond this, moviegoers rarely care much if there are some minor changes to make the film more in line with contemporary expectations. Few people cared when Burton's Joker killed Batman's parents because it worked within the film. Virtually nobody cared when Nolan completely altered the Harvey Dent character in TDK because it worked within the context of the film. On the flip side, A LOT of people cared when Clark was a mopey, smile free, Edward Cullen wannabe in MAN OF STEEL and his Superman cared more about hurdling tankers and posing in front of the explosion than saving anyone. The film made bank opening weekend because it had a modern, flashy look, but the outraged fans really hurts legs. Bryan Singer's Superman Returns featured a character portrayal much closer to the sincere goodness of the character, but presented it with a gloomy, weird, retro vibe that didn't fit with the mid 2000s whatsoever, and it suffered financially because of it. 

I will forever maintain that draft 2 of the Abrams script was an excellent mix of 2000s action cinema while staying largely true to the character and tone of Superman. Draft 1 has its highs and lows as everyone knows. Draft 2 dumped "Luthor is kryptonion" and blew up Krypton while keeping the epic action traditional character riffs. The cast of Anthony Hopkins as Jor-el, Robert Downey Jr as Lex Luthor, and Joel Egerton as Zod-like original character Ty-Zor would be excellent too. Either of McG's favorites Josh Hartnett and Matt Bomer would have been great in the leading role. It is a shame we missed out on it. 

Superman: Legacy needs to look and feel fresh and modern, but no doubt it needs to present the characters in ways which are true to their classic selves. 

Edited by excel1

This is going to be an interesting one to follow. I'm fairly confident from the talent involved that the movie will be good, but I'm less confident that this movie will be as successful at soft launching some of these side characters well enough to make audiences interested in following them into other non-Superman movies.

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

For anyone who doesn’t feel like reading, the article does specify that it’s not clear if he’ll be in this movie specifically, so the people who are worried about this being overstuffed can at least keep that in mind. 

• Like 1

How many roles has Sean Gunn been cast in now with DC?

Maxwell Lord

Weasel

GI Robot 

Calendar Man

Guess James can't stick with his no actor will play more than 1 role when it comes to nepotism.

Looking forward to the Mark and Brian Gunn are writing a DC film announcements.

Edited by Dominic Draper

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

For anyone who doesn’t feel like reading, the article does specify that it’s not clear if he’ll be in this movie specifically, so the people who are worried about this being overstuffed can at least keep that in mind. 

I am one of those who has some concerns about this movie being overstuffed.

I am a devout beleiver it is better to do a few things but do them well, then do lots of things thatturn  out mediocre or  worse.

I also remember one of Warerns' mistakes with the DCU when they were trying to get it started is they tried to do it too fast. they did not build up to it the way the MCU did. That false start with "Green Lantern" id dnot help matters.

Edited by dudalb