kayumanggi

Weekend numbers pg 12: Ouija 20.0M

Sure, I support Fuller and Bay and Platinum Dunes, but it's also a horror thing.  I will see just about any horror movie that comes out.  So horror is almost always the first film I will see.  Having said that, if I wasn't seeing Wick on Tuesday, I'd have gone this weekend.

• Like 5

People shouldn't give a fuck about stuff like that. It is kinda ridiculous really. Let the man see and like Ouija. I would also see Ouija in theaters. Or any Platinum Dunes movie released by Universal really. But they all get cancelled here. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

Yup, it is like a Christmas opening in the US. Diwali, Eid and Christmas are the 3 biggest times in India for movies which is why the 3 Khans open their movies only at those times.

Happy New Year is playing here....do you think it is worth seeing?

Sure, I support Fuller and Bay and Platinum Dunes, but it's also a horror thing.  I will see just about any horror movie that comes out.  So horror is almost always the first film I will see.  Having said that, if I wasn't seeing Wick on Tuesday, I'd have gone this weekend.

I agree with that too though. If I had the money, I'd probably go see every animated movie out there except for the Nut Jobs of the world. We all have genre preferences, and even if I don't get horror's appeal, I can't fault anyone for liking it :)

• Like 2

And it was certainly a flop next to BOM'S $115M prediction for it at the beginning of the summer. One of the most random predictions I have ever seen, can't imagine what their thinking was there (The Conjuring was the exception, not the rule).

I'm guessing their thinking was that the Conjuring would be the start of a new trend of summer horror breakouts. That obviously didn't pan out.

• Like 2

Your version of success isn't the same as everyone else's.

You won't find many(if any) action movies tripling or quadrupling their budgets this year, like some horror have.

The budget of horror films are low for this reason. The public is low (Besides needing little resources, of course).

Really?  No kidding.  Horror is niche and always has been.  Action films have always grossed more, the exception might be in 1999 when Blair Witch and Sixth Sense both did incredibly well that summer.

We've changed a lot of matter.

The question is: What's the problem with Ouija in first instead John Wick?

This look great for me.

• Like 1

Happy New Year is playing here....do you think it is worth seeing?

I saw it and it was definitely worth the watch, but then again I grew up watching Bollywood movies. If you go to watch it, know that a Bollywood movie tries to be all things to all people, so you may experience wildly fluctuating genres and emotions in scenes following each other. But yeah, as an introduction to Bollywood movies, I would say HNY is a pretty good representative of the "all out mass entertainer".

• Like 2

Really?  What other films have used Ouija boards in them besides Witchboard, in 1986?  I don't know of any.  And xbtw....I saw the film today and it was pretty creepy.  And another thing, who are you to decide for me what I should and shouldn't see, or what I should and and shouldn't like?

What Lies Beneath and Paranormal Activity have utilized Ouija boards, even if they weren't the primary plot. As a Blumhouse fan, curious you don't remember such a thing from the latter film. ;)

Nevertheless, an extensive list of films that have utilized/referenced them is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija#Films

As far as judging you on that, I suppose I will remain forever befuddled at your tastes and priorities (i.e. liking TASM2 and not GotG, Blended (which I finally saw and was not impressed by) and not 22JS, etc.). Speaking of priorities, semantically speaking, you claim that both Ouija and Wick are both priorities after I claimed you were giving Ouija priority over Wick, but if you chose to see Ouija first, which I don't know if you did, that by definition means you gave priority to Ouija. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

I was looking through old box office runs on BOM, and this clarification seems hilarious now since 7pm shows are lumped into Friday

Q. Why does your Web site have 'The Matrix Reloaded' listed with an opening day gross of $37.5 million, but on other Internet sites have the opening day gross at $42.5 million?

Matrix Reloaded had preview screenings at 10 p.m. Wednesday night amounting to about $5 million—technically, that's not part of the opening day so we separate it. Other sites are misreporting or not seperating the gross by the technical day, starting at midnight. 

• Like 1

Well, doing more research, Tootsie and Beverly Hills Cop beat it by a week. 13 in a row. Jesus!

For me too...and here I thought being a kid in those days were fun.

But they are. Everything was better in the 90s:

Sorry, I just adore this video!

• Like 1