kayumanggi

Weekend numbers pg 12: Ouija 20.0M

I would consider a movie that was released in over 2,000+ theaters and made less than $15M in total to be a flop, regardless of budget.

Then u would be wrong.

• Like 4

No.  My priorities are to see both.  Today I go alone to see a horror film about a subject that looks incredibly creepy to me.  Plus it's done by Brad Fuller, who I will see no matter what he puts out.  Class guy.  John Wick I am going with buddies to see in IMAX on Tuesday.  So my priorities are fine.   :)

The subject was creepy over a century ago when the game was first introduced. This movie isn't the first thing to utilize Ouija to talk to ghosts. There's a blatant pretension to it. Looking like every other ghost/demonic spirit movie yet acting like it's fresh because the focal point is the board game.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

It depends on the film, really. If it's a movie that was released in 3,000+ theaters on opening weekend that opened to $3M or less, then it's a flop because that's a lot of empty seats.

Now you're singing a different tune.  First it was 2,000 + and less than $15m.  Now it's 3,000+ and less than $3m.

Obviously a movie only opening to $3m in that many screens isn't doing well at all, but it all comes back to the budget.  There aren't many that can bounce back from that opening, but you're setting the bar incredibly low.

• Like 1

Now you're singing a different tune.  First it was 2,000 + and less than $15m.  Now it's 3,000+ and less than $3m.

Obviously a movie only opening to $3m in that many screens isn't doing well at all, but it all comes back to the budget.  There aren't many that can bounce back from that opening, but you're setting the bar incredibly low.

Eh, whatever. Don't have the time or energy to defend positions or whatnot. I guess I was saying that all of the horror movies mentioned on the previous page that did little this year were flops because they played in a rather wide amount of theaters regardless of their tiny budgets, but all of said movies were dumps that never stood a chance at doing well so it's all moot.

• Like 1

So you would consider a movie that cost less than $1m to make, was released into 2,000 theaters and made only $14m a flop?

Sounds legit.

It is quite possible that it did lose money in theatres. films with small budgets like that often have a marketing budget many times the production costs.

• Like 1

It is quite possible that it did lose money in theatres. films with small budgets like that often have a marketing budget many times the production costs.

Yes, but isn't it widely accepted that a movie needs to make back twice it's production budget worldwide?  That is what we generally use around these parts, right?  We use it on mega-budget films and so we should use it on micro-budget movies.

• Like 1

Yes, but isn't it widely accepted that a movie needs to make back twice it's production budget worldwide?  That is what we generally use around these parts, right?  We use it on mega-budget films and so we should use it on micro-budget movies.

I don't know how widely accepted it is, but I have no reason to believe it's true.

What applies to a big budget film doesn't necessarily apply to a micro-budget film. a film that cost 200M to make won't have marketing costs that are much higher than that 200M, at least in percentage terms. A film with a budget of 1M could easily have a marketing budget of 10M or 20M.

Equalizer and Maze Runner are in strong need of some Puerto Rico fuckery.

it could make 93 million by tomorrow and add in the weekly get it about close to 94 or 95 it's fine then add in dollar theatre runs in December or late November

<_<

This don't change the fact we saw more action success this year than horror movies.

Your version of success isn't the same as everyone else's.

You won't find many(if any) action movies tripling or quadrupling their budgets this year, like some horror have.

• Like 2

I think there's two different kinds of flop being thrown around.

Deliver Us From Evil made nearly 87m WW off a 30m budget. Financially, it is not a flop.

However, it was also released over the prime 5-day 4th of July weekend in 3,049 theaters. It made 15.252m over the 5-day, about half of its overall domestic gross. So in that sense, given its release date, theater count, and general marketing push, it kinda did flop in the general sense of the word.

I think there's two different kinds of flop being thrown around.

Deliver Us From Evil made nearly 87m WW off a 30m budget. Financially, it is not a flop.

However, it was also released over the prime 5-day 4th of July weekend in 3,049 theaters. It made 15.252m over the 5-day, about half of its overall domestic gross. So in that sense, given its release date, theater count, and general marketing push, it kinda did flop in the general sense of the word.

And it was certainly a flop next to BOM'S $115M prediction for it at the beginning of the summer. One of the most random predictions I have ever seen, can't imagine what their thinking was there (The Conjuring was the exception, not the rule). But then whoever decided that batch of movies should open a major summer holiday weekend should lose their job(s), arguably the worst 4th of July weekend ever since I started following box office, so...

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

The subject was creepy over a century ago when the game was first introduced. This movie isn't the first thing to utilize Ouija to talk to ghosts. There's a blatant pretension to it. Looking like every other ghost/demonic spirit movie yet acting like it's fresh because the focal point is the board game.

Really?  What other films have used Ouija boards in them besides Witchboard, in 1986?  I don't know of any.  And xbtw....I saw the film today and it was pretty creepy.  And another thing, who are you to decide for me what I should and shouldn't see, or what I should and and shouldn't like?

It depends on the film, really. If it's a movie that was released in 3,000+ theaters on opening weekend that opened to $3M or less, then it's a flop because that's a lot of empty seats.

But now you are changing what you said.  If PA opened in more than 3000 theaters and grossed 3 mill opening weekend, then it would be a disappointment but not a flop.  

• Like 1

<_<

This don't change the fact we saw more action success this year than horror movies.

Really?  No kidding.  Horror is niche and always has been.  Action films have always grossed more, the exception might be in 1999 when Blair Witch and Sixth Sense both did incredibly well that summer.

• Like 2

I don't know why everyone has issues with baumer wanting to see Ouija... I mean, it's really stupid we always have these arguments over what to spend money on first. Baumer's seeing both Ouija and John Wick anyway. And it's not like he's the only one who likes to support producers or directors. I've seen every DWA movie in theaters since Madagascar 2, even though quite a few of them weren't good at all. Lay off on baumer.

• Like 6