Phil in the Blank

So close to 5 years after Avatar was released....

I don't think any film has topped Avatar in terms of visual effect/3D with the exception of DOTPOTA (the CGI, not 3d)

This shot is a mind fuck in 3d, nothing I have seen has topped this one shot imo, I own both this and gravity on blueray 3d and has great as gravity looks, its 3d is nowhere near as good.

• Like 4

For individuals it's of cause up to their own minds, but on a much bigger basis lets say for the GA I think the answer is no, because no film has come close to Avatar's WW boxoffice yet. Visual effects is a major part of mega boxiffice successes these days, and if the GA find some movie having superior visual effects, they will line up for it like they did for Avatar.

Edited by vc2002

For me personally "Gravity" was a visually much more fulfilling and immersive experience than Avatar.

Same for me, with Avatar I was aware I was watching CGI, with Gravity I was immersed in a reality.

I also thought Life of Pi in terms of CGI was stronger than Avatar, as was Dotpota.

Edited by The Panda

Same for me, with Avatar I was aware I was watching CGI, with Gravity I was immersed in a reality.

I also thought Life of Pi in terms of CGI was stronger than Avatar, as was Dotpota.

Life of Pi had great visuals but terrible 3D.

DOTPOTA is the only film ive seen where the mo-cap looked genuinely real.

I don't think any film has topped Avatar in terms of visual effect/3D with the exception of DOTPOTA (the CGI, not 3d)

This shot is a mind fuck in 3d, nothing I have seen has topped this one shot imo, I own both this and gravity on blueray 3d and has great as gravity looks, its 3d is nowhere near as good.

It was a jaw-dropping moment the first time I saw it. The depth, the VFX, the details, everything was seamless and realistic, you felt like you were floating there. I also like the shots in the shuttle's cockpit before it lands on Pandora. The holographic 3D graphics added to the immersion.

And yes, no movie has topped Avatar in terms of immersion and out-of-this world adventure experience, this was pure escapism at its sheer definition. Take you on a journey for 2h40 away from our mundane modern world for exciting and entertaining cinematic realm. Apes 1 & 2 can be better on the mocap side, Gravity can be better in terms of realistic CG but Avatar was the whole package: spectacular mocap + spectacular CG visuals + spectacular action in various settings + spectacular 3D + universally appealing story.

Life Of Pi was also escapism but served a different purpose, re-enforcing the importance of faith and imagination to overcome the hardships of real life. Avatar's escapism was a genuine old school adventure set in a fantasy realm as a parable of our relation with Earth and our behaviour toward Nature, taking it as granted to serve our interests at will like careless consumers turning it into a grey corporate trash bin.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

Avatar looks great but I think it tricks you a tad (like all movies).

Pop in Avatar and look/focus on the things they don't want you to look at. Its kinda not great. The leg movements of the navi a lot of times are really bad and extremely stiff. 

The Tharks look amazing in John Carter to my memory too. 

Avatar, the movie that tells us we are the xenomorphs of Aliens, parasites that must be squashed by Mother Gaia.

No wonder that people find all kind of flaws in Avatar and bitch about it 24/7.

That s so cute how people sound pedantic when they try to take down Avatar. Still endearing to this day.

The same year, District 9 was released and had the exact same story as Avatar but District 9 was the real deal dude. Avatard is just dumb, simple minded escapism.

Has any movie eclipsed it in terms of visual effects yet? Despite my gripes with it from a plot perspective, it really is a stunning looking and immersive film.

as in 3D experience no. visually gravity was good, but it the inside of a space-station and a person floating around in space isn't nearly as beautiful as the world created in avatar. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes had pretty stinking good visuals

It's hard comparing the CGI of Avatar to films like gravity. Gravity didn't have to create it's own animals and humanoid species, it was just CGI objects and getting CGI objects to look real is easier than capturing an unimagined new species which has emotions. There are parts of Avatar where you can tell is CGI like those rhino looking animals or the odd navigation shot here and there. With gravity everything is set in a dark atmosphere where which makes it easier to create realistic looking effects. The majority of Avatar was shot in broad daylight where any little imperfection couldn't go unnoticed.

• Like 1

It was a jaw-dropping moment the first time I saw it. The depth, the VFX, the details, everything was seamless and realistic, you felt like you were floating there. I also like the shots in the shuttle's cockpit before it lands on Pandora. The holographic 3D graphics added to the immersion.

And yes, no movie has topped Avatar in terms of immersion and out-of-this world adventure experience, this was pure escapism at its sheer definition. Take you on a journey for 2h40 away from our mundane modern world for exciting and entertaining cinematic realm. Apes 1 & 2 can be better on the mocap side, Gravity can be better in terms of realistic CG but Avatar was the whole package: spectacular mocap + spectacular CG visuals + spectacular action in various settings + spectacular 3D + universally appealing story.

Life Of Pi was also escapism but served a different purpose, re-enforcing the importance of faith and imagination to overcome the hardships of real life. Avatar's escapism was a genuine old school adventure set in a fantasy realm as a parable of our relation with Earth and our behaviour toward Nature, taking it as granted to serve our interests at will like careless consumers turning it into a grey corporate trash bin.

You mean this?

Valkeryie_cockpit.png

Pretty much all the scenes involving the holograms in Avatar looked amazing in 3d. Cameron made perfect use of the 3D by multi layering every shot for perfect effect. It literally made Pandora come to life.

• Like 1