Phil in the Blank

So close to 5 years after Avatar was released....

I don't think any film has topped Avatar in terms of visual effect/3D with the exception of DOTPOTA (the CGI, not 3d)

This shot is a mind fuck in 3d, nothing I have seen has topped this one shot imo, I own both this and gravity on blueray 3d and has great as gravity looks, its 3d is nowhere near as good.

I tought some of avatar's shot look somewhat fake, not realistic, over the top

Edited by pepsa

Maybe I'm biased, because I didn't like Gravity (so take what I have to say with a grain of salt) but I would give the edge to Avatar. Like what has already been said, it created a world from scratch, whereas Gravity worked with what it had placed (such as real objects etc.).

Personally though, I'm hoping Star Wars or Avatar 2 blows both of these movies away! :D

It's all about the characters. Gone With The Wind, etc always had life long characters people will think of. Avatar at it's very best will always be Pocahontas with great effects.  You could argue that Star Wars is like that, but Lucas made great characters.  I honestly can't remember the name of any character Avatar.

Even Jack and Rose ring a bell, and Dr. Allen Grant.  T Rex chase is better than anything in Avatar

• Like 1

Also T Rex Chase, Scarlet I don't give a Dam, first time seeing a spaceship so big, I'm the King of the world, ET over the moon.

Avatar does not have that one iconic shot that will stand the test of time.  You take away the human element of fear and excitement.  You have nothing in the end. All the great shots in Avatar are done completely through the eyes of a surrogate. 

I think actual best scene in Avatar is him running the first time. But Forrest Gump and the little boy in Incredibles running on water already have that beat.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 3

The thing I'm starting to think with Avatar is that it has come close to a potential upper limit on what a film could conceivably make. Lots of films do well worldwide, but you only get a couple of markets really firing on ago cylinders (think, Skyfall in the UK or TF4 in China). At the moment I can't conceivably see the record falling in the next 15/20 years, if at all.

• Like 1

It's worth pointing, though, that one of AVATAR's incredible CG achievements wasn't just the mocap/Na'vi animation, but the entire invented world created from scratch, close-to-photorealistic-enough that it fooled many people into thinking they just filmed in a jungle somewhere and added fake creatures.

They didn't?

Totally the most forgettable biggest film of all time

I'd be inclined to sort of agree. People still talk about Star Wars, E.T., Jurassic Park, Titanic...but not really about Avatar as much.

Who are these 'people' because where im from, the average joe talks about Avatar a lot. Maybe not as much as JP and SW right now but that's only because of the sequels they have coming next year, Avatar clearly isn't forgettable in the real world, I still here people raving about it now and its only going to become more iconic when the sequels hit.

• Like 1

They didn't?

That opening shot where the camera is swooping over the foggy jungle, that was full CG. 99% of Pandora's jungle shots (establishing and close) are photoreal CG, the 1% is some fake plants prop they added scarcely for the shots when the helicopter practical prop got to land on set for the live action-only sequence.

That shot when you see the avatars getting down the helicopter in the middle of the jungle while interacting with Michelle Rodriguez, that marine guy and the CG-environment is frigging insane effects-wise, it's seamless. People don't realize the amount of work behind to make it look so natural. So everytime people scrutinized the Na'vi CG, they don't pay attention that the entire environment around is also full rendered CG, every single leaf, alien plants and trees.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

That opening shot where the camera is swooping over the foggy jungle, that was full CG. 99% of Pandora's jungle shots (establishing and close) are photoreal CG, the 1% is some fake plants prop they added scarcely for the shots when the helicopter practical prop got to land on set for the live action-only sequence.

That shot when you see the avatars getting down the helicopter in the middle of the jungle while interacting with Michelle Rodriguez, that marine guy and the CG-environment is frigging insane effects-wise, it's seamless. People don't realize the amount of work behind to make it look so natural. So everytime people scrutinized the Na'vi CG, they don't pay attention that the entire environment around is also full rendered CG, every single leaves, alien plants and trees.

The scale of the CGI is amazing in that film.

Even Jack and Rose ring a bell, and Dr. Allen Grant.

But... JAKESULLY?!

It's worth pointing, though, that one of AVATAR's incredible CG achievements wasn't just the mocap/Na'vi animation, but the entire invented world created from scratch, close-to-photorealistic-enough that it fooled many people into thinking they just filmed in a jungle somewhere and added fake creatures.

Agreed. Also, the seemless interaction between CG and human characters was ground breaking. The shot of Neytiri holding Jake after she saves him is a monumental moment in cinema history IMO.

• Like 1

Agreed. Also, the seemless interaction between CG and human characters was ground breaking. The shot of Neytiri holding Jake after she saves him is a monumental moment in cinema history IMO.

I certainly agree on your point about the shot of the two of them. That shot is essentially the pay off for the whole film, and had it not been as well produced it wouldn't have been quite as satisfying.
  • Like 2

I can only imagine how many times Cameron asked the VFX team do re do that shot time and time again because on screen, it was seemless and fucking spectacular, you could actually feel there was physical contact between the two, like Jake and Neytiri were really in the same place.

Something that Peter Jackson failed on almost all the shots of the Hobbit movies where the physics and contacts are mostly weak.

It s weird because on the Apes movies, physics and contacts are spectacular just like in Avatar.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

I can only imagine how many times Cameron asked the VFX team do re do that shot time and time again because on screen, it was seemless and fucking spectacular, you could actually feel there was physical contact between the two, like Jake and Neytiri were really in the same place.

Something that Peter Jackson failed on almost all the shots of the Hobbit movies where the physics and contacts are mostly weak.

It s weird because on the Apes movies, physics and contacts are spectacular just like in Avatar.

I agree. The Hobbit aims to be state of the art and the team had the resources to make it so, but it just isn't.