TalismanRing

TUES #s (11.4.2014) [Rth: Interstellar 1.1-1.2, THR: $1.5m expected in first 24 hours. Wrap: $1.5m for Tues & Wed]]

Every television spot I've seen says it opens Friday.  I don't think many are aware that its in IMAX exclusively right now.  

BTW...but way off topic, RTH....would you be able to give me an update on The Captive in Canada?  

250 theaters? Bad? Explain.

Let's not forget previews will probably go into Weds total gross just like every other movie these days.

1.5M is actually good.

No its not, Its a pretty meh number at best. Looking like it wil have a 20m ish official opening day, which again isn't that great.

• Like 1

Every television spot I've seen says it opens Friday.  I don't think many are aware that its in IMAX exclusively right now.  

BTW...but way off topic, RTH....would you be able to give me an update on The Captive in Canada?  

people said the same thing when STID had a disappointing opening, they tried convincing themselves the audience had no idea of its release date but it just turned out people weren't that bothered in watching it.

• Like 1

people said the same thing when STID had a disappointing opening, they tried convincing themselves the audience had no idea of its release date but it just turned out people weren't that bothered in watching it.

Not comparable at all.

STID didn't open two days earlier into only 5% of its potential theater count in one format.

Lol

• Like 5

Not comparable at all.

STID didn't open two days earlier into only 5% of its potential theater count in one format.

Lol

5%? So 1m multiplied by 20 is 20m? And I'm guessing most of these showing were in the IMAX meaning more expensive tickets. I'm just saying, it's not a great number. It's like having a 20m OD hence the STID comparison

60M would be just 10m higher than prometheus which was rated R. This is Nolan, sure paramount would be happy, but let's not pretend this didn't have the potential to go much higher.

Take out 3D and Avatar opens with around $65 million with an unusually light Sunday hold thanks to its release date.

$60 million is a good start. I've always hoped for $70 million but if it doesn't make it there it definitely isn't the end of the world.

Take out 3D and Avatar opens with around $65 million with an unusually light Sunday hold thanks to its release date.

$60 million is a good start. I've always hoped for $70 million but if it doesn't make it there it definitely isn't the end of the world.

Even though Avatar opened during the holidays its release was hampered by major snowstorms and very harsh winter weather across the east and Midwest, IIRC. Not really a good comparison imo.

But for a movie like this, a $60m opening is nothing to cough at. It has nothing but Nolan's name and reputation. MM is a great actor, one of my favorites in fact. But he's no Leo when it comes to box office draw.  $60m is still very good imo.

Edited by ECSTASY

Prometheus was a summer movie, it was low for a summer movie. Interstellar is opening against big 6 which is tracking at 60. Interstellar is doing 55-60 in the off summer season and against a big competition. If Prometheus opened at this time I don't think it would have done 40 million

Prometheus opened against the low reviewed 3rd movie for Madagascar

Edited by Hasan Ahmad

Honestly, I don't think many realize it was released anywhere yesterday and the day before. Expect an uptick in number tonight and over the weekend. Expect a defeat at the hands of Big Hero. Expect a solid, slightly better than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes type run to $215M - $225M DOM. Expect most to forget about it when MockingJay hits theaters. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think many realize it was released anywhere yesterday and the day before. Expect an uptick in number tonight and over the weekend. Expect a defeat at the hands of Big Hero. Expect a solid, slightly better than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes type run to $215M - $225M DOM. Expect most to forget about it when MockingJay hits theaters. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

LOL

• Like 2

Even though Avatar opened during the holidays its release was hampered by major snowstorms and very harsh winter weather across the east and Midwest, IIRC. Not really a good comparison imo.

But for a movie like this, a $60m opening is nothing to cough at. It has nothing but Nolan's name and reputation. MM is a great actor, one of my favorites in fact. But he's no Leo when it comes to box office draw.  $60m is still very good imo.

Then it begs the question of how bad did the snowstorms effect Avatar which is a question I'm sure Kal would love to answer.

• Like 1