grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Paramount is probably wishing they forced Nolan to convert to 3D or hire a bigger star. 

Converting to 3D would have really only helped overseas... which Paramount gave up the rights for.

Of cause it matters, every bit matters, but it's rather irrelevant comparing to what really matters: the marketing. If the name of the director is an important role, then Interstellar should've opened higher than Inception unless Nolan actually got less well-known after Inception and TDKR.

but don't you think that Leo had something to do with that.
  • Like 2

I'm not much of an animation guy. I'll probably watch the screener with my son.

That's cool. I bet your son would love Baymax. At my showing, the children seemed to be taken with him.I also found to my surprise, there were more adults there with teens at the viewing. I know that the marketing points toward the children,but after seeing it could possibly appeal to all ages. Just the story, the dynamic of it all, ended up surprising me. Edited by GuardiaStar
  • Like 6

but don't you think that Leo had something to do with that.

Actors still needs the good marketing to bring the full star power out of them otherwise films like The Tourist should've easily opened bigger numbers.

I'm just saying that next time we look at how much a film could do, we really should not give too much credit to the popularity of the director like many posters did this time on Interstellar.

People writing a lot of embarrassing rubbish about Nolan being on the way down and no studio wanting to green light his original projects to the same extent. Seriously? Give me a break.

The movie has just come out. It's weekend dailies are consistent. Let's judge it in a couple of weeks as we see how it holds

Regardless, it's going to be a massive hit worldwide and Nolan will continue to make whatever he wants. He is in a unique position. Only a handful of directors can do what they like with a bottomless pit of cash. He is irrefutably one of them.

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 5

People writing a lot of embarrassing rubbish about Nolan being on the way down and no studio wanting to green light his original projects to the same extent. Seriously? Give me a break.

The movie has just come out. It's weekend dailies are consistent. Let's judge it in a couple of weeks as we see how it holds

Regardless, it's going to be a massive hit worldwide and Nolan will continue to make whatever he wants. He is in a unique position. Only a handful of directors can do what they like with a bottomless pit of cash. He is irrefutably one of them.

Yeah, even if this movie posted a loss (which I highly doubt worldwide), Nolan would still be in a pretty good position. Studios don't throw away a director with his track record for one "miss." Shyamalan still gets big budget greenlights from his days as a huge box office draw, which have long been over.

• Like 1

Yeah, even if this movie posted a loss (which I highly doubt worldwide), Nolan would still be in a pretty good position. Studios don't throw away a director with his track record for one "miss." Shyamalan still gets big budget greenlights from his days as a huge box office draw, which have long been over.

The difference is that Shyamalan had a run of movies that were mixed to hated by critics and audiences.

Interstellar has had numerous complete and utter raves from hugely respected critics. Not all of them are as unanimous, but there isn't one saying it's not worth seeing. The same could hardly be said for anything Shyamalan made from The Village onwards.

Regardless, it's going to be a massive hit worldwide and Nolan will continue to make whatever he wants. 

People saying it's a flop are wrong but it won't be a massive hit either, far from it. Unless it has super legs...

• Like 2

On French forums, from what I read, people seem divided on Interstellar, some people love it but other people think it's boring or plain stupid.That's weird because people in the US seems less divided about it, probably a cultural difference.

On French forums, from what I read, people seem divided on Interstellar, some people love it but other people think it's boring or plain stupid.That's weird because people in the US seems less divided about it, probably a cultural difference.

Odds are that you'd probably enjoy it considering you're dying to be an American.

• Like 2

Sometimes people withhold provocative opinions for a good reason.

No . If you can't handle provocative (which my opinion isn't anyway ) opinions then you (in general terms, not personally) is the problem . Nolan's "shares" in Hollywood have just gone down after this debacle, whether people like it or not. Oh and memento IS trash .

there may also be a sampling issue: which forums you check? on these forums, there are many Nolanites and pro-Nolan posters. some of them tend to be vocal, creating the sense of consensus. also, those who're indifferent to Nolan's works probably still don't see the movie to form any opinion yet. 

Wow, some people definition of "smashing hit " is weird . Oh and yeah I was wrong about inception but I remembered the hype for that too (biggest movie ever blahblablah) and I forgot its actual numbers . Big budget movies are smashing hits when they gross at least 700 million ww and that is not even always the case . Man of steel wasn't considered a success and that almost made 700 million, considering WB won't finance a sequel but a new batman movie with superman and a bunch of others in it .

just had a quick check on my native language forums,those who saw interstellar,nearly every one of them highly praise it , so far only one expressed disappointment

Edited by rickfox