grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Well, the dictionary definition is: 

clas·sic  (klsk)
adj.
a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

Most modern films can't really be said to fall into this category when they come out.  Even Gravity, which did well, still has to prove that it has lasting significance or appeal beyond just a couple of years to be considered classic.

Star Wars IS classic by this definition.  You can't simply look at one type of movie and say just because it's classic that nothing else in any other style can also be classic.

perhaps classic was not a good choice of word

what I meant was rocketmen-movie (for a lack of better word)

Movies like Star Wars and GOTG or even Star Trek although I guess are sci fi is a very different type of sci fi than Interstellar. Interstellar is very hard sci fi but those movies are more fantasy 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

Up 9% on Saturday is decent, considering the Friday number included a couple of million from Thursday previews.

We all just need to sit back and see how it holds up next weekend now.

I totally agree that some seemed to have stayed away that many of us maybe naively thought would show up. Let's just see if they now go if the word of mouth is what it should be.

Movies like Star Wars and GOTG or even Star Trek although I guess are sci fi is a very different type of sci fi than Interstellar. Interstellar is very hard sci fi but those movies are more fantasy 

I agree that they are different styles of sci-fi, but that doesn't invalidate that those other films are sci-fi and that the wide-ranging claim that the public dislikes sci-fi in general is inaccurate.

• Like 1

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya now4 seconds ago

#BigHero6 opens #1 this wknd w/ $56.2M. 29% from 3D scrns, A CinemaScore, male/female even 50/50, 72% families.

LOL to the trolls who said Big Hero 6 is not appealing to girls :P

Agreed.  50/50 is an excellent split!  Especially for a movie that supposedly is for boys.  

Girls can love superheroes and robots too, guys.  My GF was actually more excited to see this film than I was!

• Like 2