kayumanggi

STRANGE MAGIC | 01.23.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,429,583

For the record, Disney had nothing to do with making Captain America: TWS, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Inside Out, Ant Man, St James Place, Good Dinosaur and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was all Marvel, Pixar, Dreamworks and LucasFilm. Just something for people to keep in mind when these movies do well critically and financially.  ;)

You made a bad joke. Nobody ever mistakenly thinks Disney made those movies. :P

Disney is still in the title of this thread for some reason like they were involved, when we all know they are just dumping what Lucasfilm made into January. The massive 3,020 theater count also means this will just be a bigger flop when it finally comes out.

George Lucas Explains Why He Stopped Making 'Star Wars' Movies To Make An Animated One Instead

Entire article here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-george-lucas-isnt-making-more-star-wars-movies-2015-1

Well, Lucas can't claim "I had nothing to do with it" for this turd like he does for "The Star Wars Holiday Special".

I know that so at least Disney made an effort to place an ad there than just bury it completely lol

Disney should have just buried it. They already have Star Wars, no need to make Lucas feel better by releasing this movie in theaters.

Opportunity cost. Every ad block they use to promote it is a block they aren't getting paid for.

Exactly.

Well, we are closer to Jar Jar than those generation defining movies. It's like when people were excited for Prometheus because it was from the director of Alien and Blade Runner forgetting that it actually came from the recent director of A Good Year, Body of Lies and Robin Hood.

Lucas didn't actually direct this, to be fair. I know we all love to blame him for everything, but Rydstrom doesn't really come across as a yes man in interviews.

This will only be Disney's opening salvo in 2015. The heavy artillery is still scheduled to come as the year progresses.

It's more like an anticipatory fart, really.

For the record, Disney had nothing to do with making Captain America: TWS, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Inside Out, Ant Man, St James Place, Good Dinosaur and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was all Marvel, Pixar, Dreamworks and LucasFilm. Just something for people to keep in mind when these movies do well critically and financially.  ;)

Most of us have no difficulty with telling "Disney" the media conglomerate apart from Walt Disney Animation Studios and other actual things "Disney" based on context. As far as the box office is concerned, whichever entity owns these production studios is what counts.

so.. has George Lucas officially lost his mind now?

Just now?

Lucas didn't actually direct this, to be fair. I know we all love to blame him for everything, but Rydstrom doesn't really come across as a yes man in interviews.

So, then, based on the result here Rydstrom must instead be surrounded by yes-men.

I can't believe Disney gave this a larger theatre count than Into the Woods! WTH Mouse?

Maybe this is partly because it's a new release during a relatively quiet period for movies, while Into the Woods was released during a crowded period.

Not shocked by the numbers.  Disney dumbed it in Jan and didn't really promote it.

I agree for the most part, with the exception that I've seen A LOT more ads for it on network and local television than I did for Frozen in 2013 (maybe cable and other channels were bombarded with Frozen commercials, for all I know, but I only watch over-the-air TV). In fact, I only recall having seen two commercials for the latter--both were little 10-second spots on late-night TV--while I've seen on the average several 30-second commercials for Strange Magic each day for the past couple of weeks. So while this is a dumping, they haven't entirely abandoned it, apparently in the hope that some amount of advertising would give them a decent return on investment, considering that Disney probably paid little if anything for the movie.

I agree for the most part, with the exception that I've seen A LOT more ads for it on network and local television than I did for Frozen in 2013 (maybe cable and other channels were bombarded with Frozen commercials, for all I know, but I only watch over-the-air TV). In fact, I only recall having seen two commercials for the latter--both were little 10-second spots on late-night TV--while I've seen on the average several 30-second commercials for Strange Magic each day for the past couple of weeks. So while this is a dumping, they haven't entirely abandoned it, apparently in the hope that some amount of advertising would give them a decent return on investment, considering that Disney probably paid little if anything for the movie.

They put more effort in promoting Strange Magic than Frozen before those movies came out out. Unfucking believable!

To think... Frozen could have gotten a much bigger OW if Disney had actually given a shit before its release, instead of fawning all over Monsters University and Saving Mr Banks, two movies the Academy couldn't care less about to even bother nominating. :rolleyes:

They put more effort in promoting Strange Magic than Frozen before those movies came out out. Unfucking believable!

Not in every way, probably, but I assure you that what I said earlier is literally true, at least based on my personal experience. It could be that I happened, purely by chance, to miss every Frozen TV commercial besides the two that I saw, but that would be unlikely to the extreme (especially given how many Strange Magic commercials I've seen--I doubt that I would have ignored the former while noticing the latter).

To think... Frozen could have gotten a much bigger OW if Disney had actually given a shit before its release, instead of fawning all over Monsters University and Saving Mr Banks, two movies the Academy couldn't care less about to even bother nominating. :rolleyes:

Ironically, Disney CEO Bob Iger genuinely seemed to like Frozen before it was released, and his chief animation henchman John Lasseter certainly adored it. It was Disney's marketers who didn't know what to do with it (given the level of responsibility that an expensive tentpole release entails and the lack of a male lead), aside from doing anything they could think of in order to trick people into seeing it on OW, and then letting the movie sink or swim on its own (well, they did make one spectacularly good trailer for it that didn't hide what the movie is about, but it was only released online instead of in theaters). Now, in some other countries (e.g. Japan) I've heard that Frozen was hyped like crazy everywhere, but I didn't see this in the DOM market (from Disney) before its release.

I was actually quite surprised at how much advertising I saw for Strange Magic in comparison (mostly without looking for it), despite the extremely late start it got--Disney executives might have washed their hands of this movie, keeping the Disney brand away from it, but since the late announcement they haven't exactly been trying to hide its existence, either. In my opinion, the movie had its chance for a decent OW in terms of exposure, but the ads apparently didn't connect with enough people. Now let's see what its WOM is like--I'm not expecting much. ;)