kayumanggi

STRANGE MAGIC | 01.23.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,429,583

I been seeing tv clips pop up a lot on Cartoon Network and was thinking to myself "What film is this?"

This film is being dumped, the commercials are kind of forgettable, and that trailer even though I don't think its as bad as everyone's saying but the movie still looks like blah. 

Opening: 4m
Total: 9m

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

I was just going to ask if they're even advertising this. Thankss.

They are doing a minimum amount of advertising, probably because of contractual obligatations to Lucasfilms.

Yeah, this film is being dumped like few films are being dumped.

My guess is that an agreement with Lucas is the only reason this is getting released

A few pages ago we pretty much agreed this is a contractual obligation film.

Note that Disney is trying to avoid identifying themselves with the film. Which means it must REALLY stink.

A few pages ago we pretty much agreed this is a contractual obligation film.

Which means that it must have been important to somebody, namely George Lucas. Lucasfilm had been trying to make this movie for years before Disney bought the company, and still kept at it despite the fact that it was a disaster the whole way through. They brought Brenda Chapman, who had recently resigned from Pixar, in as a story consultant a couple of years ago and put Gary Rydstrom, also formerly of Pixar, in as the new director. The result is still obviously garbage but Disney must have agreed, in writing, to release it no matter what, so that's what they're going to do--the absolute minimum that is required by contract, I'd imagine.

Note that Disney is trying to avoid identifying themselves with the film. Which means it must REALLY stink.

That's right, although they sure don't seem to mind making sure everyone knows that this movie is from Lucasfilm and George Lucas himself. This makes one of Disney's key brands look bad, although I guess this will be forgotten before long.

• Like 1

This makes one of Disney's key brands look bad, although I guess this will be forgotten before long.

I imagine Disney realizes Lucasfilms brand is based around Star Wars, this isn't going to impact anyone's views on those films anymore than Howard the Duck impacted Star Wars and Indiana Jones perception. In this case, it's really the IP that's valuable, not te Lucasfilm branding.

• Like 4