kayumanggi

STRANGE MAGIC | 01.23.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,429,583

Yikes! I just had a terrible thought that Disney would attach the Frozen short with Strange Magic instead of the new Cinderella movie! Disney isn't THAT stupid are they? :ph34r:

I can't imagine the short would be ready by January. Even if it was, it looks like Disney's just trying to dump this as quietly as possible, not draw more attention to it.

Yikes! I just had a terrible thought that Disney would attach the Frozen short with Strange Magic instead of the new Cinderella movie! Disney isn't THAT stupid are they? :ph34r:

They're not even going to attach the Disney logo to this movie, let alone a Frozen short.

• Like 2

If by no one, you mean, including Disney...

You may be right!

Yes, they are almost certainly just fulfilling a contractual obligation here, as others have suggested, in the most minimal way they're allowed. From what I've been able to gather, this project has been important to Lucas for a long time, and I guess when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney he made sure that this movie would be completed and released theatrically. I wonder if he's sorry now, too...probably not.

This is clearly something Disney found in Lucasfilm vaults and figured if it's this far in they might as well extract 8 bucks from it.

It was still in production when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Well, they weren't stupid enough to give this a huge promotional campaign and put the Disney logo on it. I'm pretty sure that they weren't happy about the speculation of this being the Frozen sequel, either.

• Like 1

Wow this was actually worse than I was expecting. Unless it manages somehow to be effectively funny (I feel it is more likely that Home is actually funny) it is the Shrek 3 territory. January is too good for this.

It is a shame, the film actually looks different enough from other animated films out there, and I would love a fantasy fairy musical inspired by Midsummer Night's Dream that was actually good (like if was made by WDAS for example).

I'd love to see that, but not made by Disney or by any of the conventional animation houses who will invariably use inspirational ballads and funny songs. I'd like a Midsummer Night's Dream animated musical by someone who thinks outside the box and gives us something quirky, gorgeously peculiar, and very unorthodox. Shakespeare's masterpiece deserves it.

• Like 2

I'd love to see that, but not made by Disney or by any of the conventional animation houses who will invariably use inspirational ballads and funny songs. I'd like a Midsummer Night's Dream animated musical by someone who thinks outside the box and gives us something quirky, gorgeously peculiar, and very unorthodox. Shakespeare's masterpiece deserves it.

You should read Neil Gaiman's take on it in his Sandman series. In animation, The Spectacular Spider-Man had a wonderful spin on it by devoting half a season to Peter and his friends rehearsing it as their high school play and then an entire episode was devoted to the Spidey supporting cast acting out the play (with Spider-Man and villains inspired costumes no less!) intercut with scenes of Spidey taking on the Sinister Six.

I'll always be grateful to Sony for producing that magical show no matter how much they keep dropping the ball when it comes to big screen live action. We lost it too soon. :(

Btw, Disney did have a Midsummer's animated short with Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy playing the roles of the four lovers. 

• Like 1

You should read Neil Gaiman's take on it in his Sandman series. In animation, The Spectacular Spider-Man had a wonderful spin on it by devoting half a season to Peter and his friends rehearsing it as their high school play and then an entire episode was devoted to the Spidey supporting cast acting out the play (with Spider-Man and villains inspired costumes no less!) intercut with scenes of Spidey taking on the Sinister Six.

I'll always be grateful to Sony for producing that magical show no matter how much they keep dropping the ball when it comes to big screen live action. We lost it too soon. :(

Btw, Disney did have a Midsummer's animated short with Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy playing the roles of the four lovers. 

Wow. Thanks for letting me know about Gaiman's take and the TV show spin on the play. I will certainly check them out ASAP. Midsummer's Night Dream has always been one of my all-time favorites, and I welcome any and all versions. Comparing the different takes and analyzing the artists' choices in reimagining the play is always part of the fun.