kayumanggi

STRANGE MAGIC | 01.23.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,429,583

I think Chewy mentioned this earlier but somebody here has to do a triple header this weekend of the wide openers

I would, but I don't live in America. Mortdecai only opens here on January 29, The Boy Next Door on March 5, and Strange Magic never.

I'm sure little children will want to watch this movie, expecting the caliber of musicality and storytelling to be on the level of Frozen.  However, just as reality crushes a majority of those that dare to dream, these kids' excitement will flutter away at the first gale and just as quick, parents will rush their kids out of the theater, in fear that the eerie and sinister character designs will invoke slaughter and fear within their children.

And, that's basically why I think this film will bomb... :D

Jest aside, I truly do agree with one of the critics on the character design: not at all appealing to the demographic this movie is trying to excite.  The music seems lackluster and mediocre from what I have heard and the story seems to be a rehashed Barbie story.  This movie, from the very beginning gave me a negative jittery feeling, almost as if the 1990's were a reality again when other studios tried to mimic the success of Disney's animated musicals and failed miserable, except for a few such as the Prince of Egypt and Anastasia. 

• Like 1

This movie bombing is inevitable. Disney thinks it'll bomb...so...who am I too argue with the mouse?

That being said, if it manages north of 10m, that's almost successful given what's expected of this turd.

With it being a 2015 release, we should EXPECT 10mil!
  • Like 1

*Looks at Rotten Tomatoes score* Honestly, what were you expecting coming from the man who probably came up with this movie in the part of his creative brain that thought up Jar Jar Binks.

To be fair the same man who thought up the original trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark and American Graffiti

Edited by DAR

To be fair the same man who thought up the original trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark and American Graffiti

Well, we are closer to Jar Jar than those generation defining movies. It's like when people were excited for Prometheus because it was from the director of Alien and Blade Runner forgetting that it actually came from the recent director of A Good Year, Body of Lies and Robin Hood.

• Like 1

For the record, Disney had nothing to do with making this movie. It was all Lucasfilm and Lucas. Just something for people to keep in mind when this movie flops. :P

For the record, Disney had nothing to do with making Captain America: TWS, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Inside Out, Ant Man, St James Place, Good Dinosaur and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was all Marvel, Pixar, Dreamworks and LucasFilm. Just something for people to keep in mind when these movies do well critically and financially.  ;)

On another note, this seems to be like the time Disney dumped Zemeckis' Mars Needs Moms which ended his company.

I read an article in the day saying that Disney/the industry were not afraid to let a filmmaker know that his time was up.

So instead of doing anything to actually support the film, they did the bare minimum and dumped it. 

Seems to be the same here, thanks for Star Wars, this is a favour to you, but your movie's shit and here's proof. 

• Like 1