Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

It's digital now, but it looks like it might've been a true IMAX screen, albeit a smaller one.

Manufacturer: IMAX

Format: D

Film Type: 3D

Screen: Flat

Screen Size (HxW): 43.6 x 68.9 feet  / 13.3 x 21 meters

That's around a 1.58:1 aspect ratio. 15/70 presentations must've been pillarboxed slightly.

Where did you find that information? Can you look for the same information on the Regal Tall City 14 digital IMAX in Midland, TX?

It's from LF Examiner. Unfortunately, red, they haven't updated in awhile and Tall City must be too recent: it's listed, but not the screen dimensions.

This is a cool site but I'm pretty sure none of the theaters I go to are on here.  :lol:

• Like 1

So only 2 movies in the next 16 months are actually being shot using IMAX cameras - Star Wars 7 and Batman v Superman. I think IMAX will definitely be giving these movies preferential treatment and a longer 5-6 week run in IMAX screens.

And both will be converted to 3D, which takes a big shit on the original IMAX photography.

It's digital now, but it looks like it might've been a true IMAX screen, albeit a smaller one.

Manufacturer: IMAX

Format: D

Film Type: 3D

Screen: Flat

Screen Size (HxW): 43.6 x 68.9 feet  / 13.3 x 21 meters

That's around a 1.58:1 aspect ratio. 15/70 presentations must've been pillarboxed slightly.

Awesome!

But wait, what is pillarboxed? I saw MI4, STID, and TDKR there, and the filmed in IMAX scenes looked legit

Pillarboxing is the reverse of letterboxing: it's more of a home-video term, I guess the theatrical equivalent would be masking the edges of the screen.

IC500893.png

That's weird. I've never noticed that my IMAX (I have noticed that shot in IMAX films do leave a slight bit of screen at the bottom of the screen though)