grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

Glad D&DT is over-performing. 2014 can use all the help it can get from here on out. Our collective predict was $29M. I feel like we let our personal feelings dictate a little (per usual). It may look stupid and over the top, but we haven't had a real comedy since Lets Be Cops, and we haven't had a straight 90's-esque comedy since the 90's. Even Norbit (which is a guilty pleasure, but admittingly stupid) was able to open over $30M, in February, and that had no predecessor.

Should be another interesting weekend to track, and not as slow as we thought.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

If DADT does do 40M or more, how long before we get Ace Ventura 3, The Mask 2 and Dumb and Dumber 3?

Wasn't there already a low-rent Mask sequel?

Though I guess there was already a low-rent Dumb and Dumber sequel too.

• Like 1

Glad D&DT is over-performing. 2014 can use all the help it can get from here on out. Our collective predict was $29M. I feel like we let our personal feelings dictate a little (per usual). It may look stupid and over the top, but we haven't had a real comedy since Lets Be Cops, and we haven't had a straight 90's-esque comedy since the 90's. Even Norbit (which is a guilty pleasure, but admittingly stupid) was able to open over $30M, in February, and that had no predecessor.

Should be another interesting weekend to track, and not as slow as we thought.

Whoa, Let's be cops made it to 82M Domestic and 120M WW on a 17M budget. It had a very leggy under the radar run.

• Like 4

Is Dumb and Dumber 2 still going to open above 30 million even with the poor reviews?  29% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 36 on Metacritic....will the target audience for this still show up in the same way the Grown Ups movies audience will show up no matter what the reviews are?

And?...I said this is the first real comedy since Lets Be Cops, which I saw. 

Yes. I was just expressing surprise at how well LBC did, especially after a not that great OW. It legged its way to almost a 4X from the 5 day opening.

Edited by grim22

Is Dumb and Dumber 2 still going to open above 30 million even with the poor reviews?  29% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 36 on Metacritic....will the target audience for this still show up in the same way the Grown Ups movies audience will show up no matter what the reviews are?

only sheep care about reviews

• Like 1

Yes. I was just expressing surprise at how well LBC did, especially after a not that great OW. It legged its way to almost a 4X from the 5 day opening.

Ah, gotcha. I interpreted your "whoa" as "did you forget LBC?" and not "wow, i just realized LBC did this." My b. 

Speaking of LBC, give it a watch guys, especially if you're a fan of New Girl. It's not the best comedy in the world from a narrative standpoint, but its one of the funnier and more energetic R-rated ones of the past couple years. Johnson and Wayons are gold together.

Anyways, numbers numbers numbers.

• Like 1

Comparing Dumb and Dumber (the original) to the Grown Ups franchise is an insult... it's one of the most delightfully silly comedies you'll ever see. Honestly, I'll take a comedy with a 29% that makes me laugh over your typical Seth Rogen movie that gets a 75%-85% on RT. I already know Dumb & Dumber To will make me laugh more than Neighbors. 

People are nostalgic for the original so it makes sense this would have a $40-45 million OW. I was expecting that from the beginning. Plus $40 million OW pretty much locks it for a crawl across $100 million. 

I'd love to see November/December 2014 be red-hot from here on out. Especially after Interstellar locked itself for less than $250 million. 

• Like 4