grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

Do you guys watch comedies by yourseleves?

I always find comedies are must see films with friends... Crack open some beers, chips and hard and have a blast  :D

Wouldn't help, my friends aren't 12 year old boys who swill beer. :P

Really, I found it painfully unfunny and worse boring - like an SNL skit that overstays it's welcome by about 2 hours. 

I wasn't expecting Blazing Saddles, Animal House or even Tropic Of Thunder but it wasn't even Joe Dirt. :D

Huh, didn't know that. Is it only the US that has all these silly words, like color, theater and drive-thru?

I had always assumed Canada uses English the same way that the US does. You may have changed my entire perspective on life.

Don't know about the strange spelling, but the US (along with Liberia and Burma) still uses the imperial system of pounds for weight, miles and gallons. 

worldmap.gif

What's weird with Carrey is I typically don't like him in films but when he lands a rare dramatic role like Eternal Sunshine or Truman show the film is one of my all time favorites.

That is the thing though, the more success he has in his comedies, the more opportunities he is going to have to get the awesome dramatic roles.  When he gets them, he knocks them out of the park.  But the way things are going, it isn't happening. A string of successful comedies could help him get some of that power back and the roles can follow. Hopefully Dumb and Dumber To can at least start things up again for him.

I would also love to see him cast in an edgy, dramatic, supporting role.  Doesn't have to be a lead. I think he can win an Oscar someday if he is given the opportunity and if some of academy voters can get past his comedic reputation.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like Jim Carrey. He gets on my nerves and if he's in a film then I will avoid watching it. Admittedly I haven't seen him in any dramatic roles, but his comedies are just not funny. He drives me up the wall.

No we still use Drive Thru and Donuts and no one I know uses Aboot. 

Eh, well you're half way there ;) better than Americans! :P

I will be impressed if Dumb and Dumber To opens in the uppers 30s.  I predicted only 30 OW because I assumed that audiences from 20 years ago who loved them are generally getting too old for that kind of stuff.  Many of them now have kids of their own and would take them to Big Hero instead, or they are part of the over 30 audience who is eating up Interstellar.

tbf that shit in This Is The End had me crying. That totally is comedy gold.

Hmm... it's a pretty lazy joke. It's kinda funny, but unlike the comedies from 1982-2005 (really the golden age for the modern cinematic comedy), it felt very cold and Jay Barchuel has the worst voice on Earth... seriously it was a bunch of unlikable people supposedly trying to redeem themselves. Can't relate. 

Compare the effort Jim Carrey, Robin Williams and other comedians of the 80s/90s gave in their films (Aladdin, Dumb & Dumber, Ace Ventura, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Mask, Liar Liar, Austin Powers 1 & 2, Vacation, Trading Places, Coming to America, etc) and compare it to what James Franco, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen do. 

Even Kevin Hart - the closest thing to 90s comedy - relies on screaming at the top of his lungs too much. Melissa McCarthy too.

I don't find most R-rated comedies funny since F-bombs and dick jokes seem to be all they have to offer. Anchorman 2 was more amusing than any R-rated comedy I've seen in the last 10 years. Except 21 and 22 Jump Street. 

I just don't get why people think Seth Rogen and his posse are all that... This is the End had a few laughs, but it wasn't anything special IMO. Same with Neighbors. 

• Like 2