grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

Nolan is a brand.

Meaning simply being a Nolan film does not mean everyone will flock to see it.

However if people hear good things about the fact it is a Nolan film would convince people more easily to see it.

Another great example is GOTG, it did well as it was an entertaining blockbuster. However the fact it had the Marvel brand behind it likely convinced audience goers to see it as well. 

Tell me if some other studio made a film about a guy named Starlord a green assassin, a racoon and a tree it would have made anywhere near as much? 

That's sounds like a religion.   There is no way to falsify it.   If people go see a Nolan film, it's because of him.   ...If people don't go see it, that doesn't mean people don't worship Nolan.  (Sounds like you just said people are not hearing good things about Interstellar)   Is that another way of saying "People will go see any Nolan film that appeals to the masses"?   I could say that about any director.

Ok...I went and looked.   The 3 trailers for Interstellar.   No mention of Nolan.   Doesn't seem like much of a "brand":

There is no answer to the question about GotG since Marvel is the only studio that made it.   I'm thinking the trailers got people excited to go see it....followed by great WoM.   It doesn't have a lot in common with Iron Man or Avengers.   I predict fanboys giggling at people who are shocked when Groot, Rocket, Starlord, Gamora, and Drax show up in an Avengers movie someday.    I mean...remember people asking why Superman and Batman weren't in the Avengers movie?

Edited by Harpospoke
  • Like 1

That's sounds like a religion. There is no way to falsify it. If people go see a Nolan film, it's because of him. ...If people don't go see it, that doesn't mean people don't worship Nolan. (Sounds like you just said people are not hearing good things about Interstellar) Is that another way of saying "People will go see any Nolan film that appeals to the masses"? I could say that about any director.

Ok...I went and looked. The 3 trailers for Interstellar. No mention of Nolan. Doesn't seem like much of a "brand":

There is no answer to the question about GotG since Marvel is the only studio that made it. I'm thinking the trailers got people excited to go see it....followed by great WoM. It doesn't have a lot in common with Iron Man or Avengers. I predict fanboys giggling at people who are shocked when Groot, Rocket, Starlord, Gamora, and Drax show up in an Avengers movie someday. I mean...remember people asking why Superman and Batman weren't in the Avengers movie?

Both trailer 2 and 3 clearly state "From Christopher Nolan"

Edit: Actually all of them did from the ones you linked

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Can we all just agree Interstellar makes people feel emotions they have never felt before, therefore one of the most memorable movies of the year?

Well that's a mighty statement. Kinda like asking "can we all just agree Citizen Kane is the best film ever made?"

No. No we can't.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Well that's a mighty statement. Kinda like asking "can we all just agree Citizen Kane is the best film ever made?"

No. No we can't.

"Can we all just agree that Citizen Kane is the best film ever made?" is a little more absolutist than "can we all just agree that Interstellar is one of the most memorable movies of the year.

Agreeing to the latter is much easier.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 2

"Can we all just agree that Citizen Kane is the best film ever made?" is a little more absolutist than "can we all just agree that Interstellar is one of the most memorable movies of the year.

Agreeing to the latter is much easier.

That's not what he said we should all agree on. He asked us to agree that it makes everyone feel emotions they never felt before. I think that's an even mightier statement than saying it's the best film of all time.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Panda's comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek.  

I mean, seriously, an "emotion you've never felt before"?  I saw Interstellar and I felt, what?  Orange?

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 5

That's not what he said we should all agree on. He asked us to agree that it makes everyone feel emotions they never felt before. I think that's an even mightier statement than saying it's the best film of all time.

Well, he's asking both really. But fair enough.

Whiplash made the opposite decision from St Vincent.  St Vincent very clearly choose to appeal to GA rather than critics, whereas Whiplash is all about critical acclaim rather than being broadly appealing.  Its kinda... sparse, as far as "major" American movies go, without a lot of dialogue and both major characters hold their emotions pretty close. Its not really surprising its doing mediocre box office.

Edited by Wrath

Can we all just agree Interstellar makes people feel emotions they have never felt before, therefore one of the most memorable movies of the year?

What exactly are the emotions that you have never experienced before in life that you did for the first time with IS? I'm curious.

• Like 1

What exactly are the emotions that you have never experienced before in life that you did for the first time with IS? I'm curious.

Disappointment with a Nolan flick.

(ok so this is only half true)

• Like 1