Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

After Inception, Interstellar, and TDKR, he must've cost WB a crapload of change. From a studio perspective, I would force him to make his next work in 3D. But then again, the guy has WB by the balls right now.

If I was Nolan, I would agree to a 3D release but only if they allow the IMAX version to still be 2D. I think it's pointless to shoot in 1570 IMAX and then convert to 3D. Besides, IMAX tickets are really expensive anyway and there isn't much difference in price between IMAX 3D and IMAX 2D. The big boost from 3D comes in regular screens.

• Like 1

Why would WB do that? WB wants to have a good relationship with him. How many directors besides Cameron can make an original movie that grosses 600-800M WW? A studio simply doesn't want to screw something like that.

Cause if he used 3D, the number would be even higher. But yeah, Nolan's in a great position right now. Even his weakest BO performance is going to turn into a huge hit.

Universal will have a massive year as well. Minions, Fifty Shades of Grey, Jurassic World and Fast 7. That is crazy. 

Ted 2, Pitch Perfect 2, Everest... massive year for them. I'm thinking OS they will come fairly close to Disney.

Sony is dead. Like, really, really dead.

They need to turn to their videogame franchises. Uncharted, inFamous, between others, can make massive amounts of money if well adapted. 

? Sony has an amazing year. They don't have franchises, but most of their movies were hits: 22 Jump Street, The Equalizer, Heaven is for Real, The Monuments Men, Think Like A Men Too. And those which disappointed DOM made up for it OS: Sex Tape (126M WW), Deliver Us From Evil (87M WW), RoboCop (242M WW). Pompei was their only big money loser.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Ted 2, Pitch Perfect 2, Everest... massive year for them. I'm thinking OS they will come fairly close to Disney.

? Sony has an amazing year. They don't have franchises, but almost most of their movies were hits: 22 Jump Street, The Equalizer, Heaven is for Real, The Monuments Men, Think Like A Men Too. And those which disappointed DOM made up for it OS: Sex Tape (126M WW), Deliver Us From Evil (87M WW), RoboCop (242M WW). Pompei was their only big money loser.

They didn't even finance Pompeii.

Spider-Man though....puts em' in a tough position. Not this year, but for future purposes

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Paramount has Transformers, GI Joe, Mission Impossible and TMNT. That seems very good to me. Plus, Paranormal Activity makes lot of money in a 5M budget and the new Friday the 13th should be a winner as well. Terminator will bomb, tho.

Bay is leaving Transformers, Mission Impossible is solid, GI Joe is not a big money maker and TMNT won t become a 600-700 m ww franchise.

Paramount s slate is just a little bit better than Sony s but nothing extraordinary.

? Sony has an amazing year. They don't have franchises, but almost most of their movies were hits: 22 Jump Street, The Equalizer, Heaven is for Real, The Monuments Men, Think Like A Men Too. And those which disappointed DOM made up for it OS: Sex Tape (126M WW), Deliver Us From Evil (87M WW), RoboCop (242M WW). Pompei was their only big money loser.

Sony had an okay year. Last year was awful. This year was ok. Lets see how Annie and The Interview will do. Lets not forget Monuments Men was released OS by FOX. And that Pompeii was released OS by independent distributors. 

Spider-Man is their only big franchise and it is dead, plus the budget was an insane 400M (movie + marketing) so that doesn't help.

Edited by CJohn

After Inception, Interstellar, and TDKR, he must've cost WB a crapload of change. From a studio perspective, I would force him to make his next work in 3D. But then again, the guy has WB by the balls right now.

Every movie has made a profit. Inception and interstellar will be the exceptions rather than the norm where a work not adapted or a sequel makes twice as much as its production budget and more at the end of the run for WB
  • Like 2

They didn't even finance Pompeii.

Spider-Man though....puts em' in a tough position. Not this year, but for future purposes

It's also not like Pompeii was a 200M film. It made 120WW on a 90-100M budget, so it "only" lost them about 50-60M.

Because they are dumb as fuck. Fire the director, fire Kurtzman and Ortiz, and change Sinister Six to The Amazing Spider-Man 3: Sinister Six. And hire some competent people instead of shitty fuckers. 

EDIT: AND FUCKING STOP TRYING TO CREATE A SHARED UNIVERSE WITH THE SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE. That is even more dumb than whatever Universal is doing with their Monsters franchise.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Given that this was a movie that had no business existing as it was adapted from the less interesting part of a book that could have easily been one movie, I imagine the producers and studio are still pretty happy. Glad to see the audience showing a bit of discretion when it comes to this format. 

Given that Divergent is far from the franchise that this is, I wonder if those producers are rethinking their decision to piggyback on the trend by splitting the widely disliked final book. 

• Like 1

Bay is leaving Transformers, Mission Impossible is solid, GI Joe is not a big money maker and TMNT won t become a 600-700 m ww franchise.

Paramount s slate is just a little bit better than Sony s but nothing extraordinary.

You are kidding right. LOOOOOL. Transformers is a 1B making machine, The next MI will make over 700M for sure, Turtles will end up over 500M, so I don't see how it is a stretch for the next one to make 600M.

Also Star Trek, Madagascar, King Fu Panda (the last two will likely make over 700M WW).

Edited by James
  • Like 2

Sony had an okay year. Last year was awful. This year was ok. Lets see how Annie and The Interview will do. Lets not forget Monuments Men was released OS by FOX. And that Pompeii was released OS by independent distributors. 

Spider-Man is their only big franchise and it is dead, plus the budget was an insane 400M (movie + marketing) so that doesn't help.

I think they will be OK next year as well. Nothing seems like a huge money loser, and then they got Bond.

• Like 1

Bay will make something else, and I am sure Michael Bay is to Paramount what Nolan is to WB. They will support him in whatever he does.

Transformers will still be big if they hire another director good with filming action sequences. I heard Justin Lin is available. Sony has nothing bigger than GI Joe besides Spider-Man. I won't even talk about MI and TMNT. Those are big franchises. TMNT should increase OS since it won't have a 3 months delay in Europe in the next time.

• Like 1

I think they will be OK next year as well. Nothing seems like a huge money loser, and then they got Bond.

Pixels should bomb pretty badly. Goosebumps will bomb as well, but they decided to delay that flop to 2016. I am still not sure if they will last much more...

Edited by CJohn

Sony's 2015 line up is

The Wedding Ringer

Chappie

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2

Cameron Crowe Untitled

Ricki and the Flash

Pixels

Grimsby

Goosebumps

Kitchen Sink

Hotel Transylvania 2

The Walk

Bond 24

Seth Rogen/JGL Christmas Comedy

Out of those potential hits are

Bond 24

Hotel Transylvania 2

Seth Rogen/JGL Christmas Comedy

Goosebumps

Pixels

• Like 1

Pixels should bomb pretty badly. Goosebumps will bomb as well, but they decided to delay that flop to 2016. I am still not sure if they will last much more...

The fall of Sony is the rise of Microsoft the movie studio?