Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

i think about 140m.

It had been 5 years since a potter film was released on a friday. When gof opened in 2005 (the last time a HP film had a fri release date) it was the fourth highest ow of all time. And HBP had a five day gross of 160m.....also twilight managed a 140m ow a year earlier. So the 125m ow for dh1 was very dissappointing

This makes no sense.

DH1's admissions were within 2% of all of the other Potter movies that opened Friday. 

• Like 1

I actually didn't see this dropping off much. And, truthfully, we'll have to wait until Sunday to see just how much it did drop from CF's OW. But, Twilight's Part 1 in the ballpark of all the other Twilight OW, aside from the initial film of course. And, Potter's Part 1, if it had 3D, likely would've been in the $145M+ range, which isn't terribly far off from DHP2's OW.

Actually, that's not true.

DH2 had a 5% surcharge from 3D on its OW. Meaning it would have done $150m-$152m on its OW without 3D, and it sold a FUCKLOAD of tickets on matinee.

DH1, had it been in 3D, might have gotten $132m with 3D. 

• Like 2

"If Mockingjay follows Catching Fire's pattern from here, it will end the weekend with $106 million. That would be a stunning drop; for now, let's assume that fans simply decided to wait to see the movie on Friday or Saturday. Even with that assumption, though, this late night debut essentially rules out a $150 million weekend."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3963&p=.htm

I must be going crazy. Read the updated article several times and didn't see that paragraph... lol.

(Obviously it won't drop that much since the Thursday night shows are just fans, whereas the whole weekend includes GA.)

• Like 2

Lionsgate's shares have taken a tumble following #Mockingjay's opening http://on.variety.com/11KUtmq 

B2_KF73CQAAbj-Y.jpg

I think that pretty much sums up what a letdown that preview number is, especially after The Wrap trolled everyone with such a good number. Hopefully the rest of the weekend plays more like HG1 than HG2 so it can at least get into the 130's.

• Like 1

How do you think the GA will receive this one after the OW diehard crowds die down?

It's a tradition for me to watch THG with my sister and mother. 

My mother said she liked it enough, but that she felt that only once it hit the last 20 minutes did she feel that something was ACTUALLY happening. She loved THG, and really enjoyed CF. 

Looking at how the movie posters have changed for Hunger Games 1-3 is interesting.  They started off showing off her feminine looking face/long hair and now have her way in the distance, where you can't tell how long her hair is and she appears to be wearing body armor like a soldier.  A very gender neutral poster.

I took my mom to is too, and she didn't even see CF. for the most part she what was going on without being told. She said she liked it, but was surprised with the little action (shocked coming from her, who despised the whole people killing people game).

I love THG. I always want it to do the absolute best. But I can't lie and pretend that I didn't walk out of MJ1 thinking "it was okay, I guess."

• Like 1