grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That average rating could sure use some work. A 5.3 for a movie that’s currently rated “fresh” just doesn’t look right. 

7 of the 11 positive reviews don't have a score so the avg really isn't indicative right now since it's overly weighted toward the 4 negative reviews which are all scored.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

That average rating could sure use some work. A 5.3 for a movie that’s currently rated “fresh” just doesn’t look right. 

15 reviews. Doesn't take many 3/10 reviews to drag down a film getting 7/10 ratings otherwise.

===

Not only "15 reviews", but some of them aren't scored, as I understand it.  So it might be 7 reviews if only letter grades/X of 10 are scored there.  Not really sure how it works for a film without a rating given.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

7 of the 11 positive reviews don't have a score so the avg really isn't indicative right now since it's overly weighted toward the 4 negative reviews.

Are films that are given a letter grade converted into a x/10 (x/5) score?

Just now, bangbingchan said:

top critics is still 100% after 4 critics.Don't understand Why make So different from top and all critics

Clustering.  Just takes a couple of random grumps to skew a very small sample size.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They are. The ones I know for sure are A+ and A converting into 10/10, A- being 9/10, B+ being 8/10 and the C- score from Consequence of Sound counted as 4/10.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, letter grades are converted on RT. 

Of course, a lot of the top critics don't give grades at all -  Variety, THR, The Wrap, NY Times, LA Times, New Yorker, Village Voice, TIME, Slate, WSJ, NPR etc.  So they're counted as F/R but they don't factor into the avg

Metacric assigns the grade-less reviews scores after ostensibly reading the reviews though it seems sometimes they just read the first or last line and throw out a number.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Good reviews can only help it at the box office. I can imagine the film doesn't cost THAT much either (say around 130m or something). Spielberg is part of the older guard, and knows how to keep a film done on time, and on budget. 

I'll be very impressed if the budget is similar to The BFG as it looks a lot more expensive.

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well will see while watching Ready Player One if you have a strong case (versus say is Minority Report movie), he always bring some extra cheese and ultra obvious crowd pleasing moment in pretty much all is recent movies imo.

I imagine RPO will be more akin to say War of the Worlds or The BFG

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes, letter grades are converted on RT. 

Of course, a lot of the top critics don't give grades at all -  Variety, THR, The Wrap, NY Times, LA Times, New Yorker, Village Voice, TIME, Slate, WSJ, NPR etc.  So they're counted as F/R but they don't factor into the avg

Metacric assigns the grade-less reviews scores after ostensibly reading the reviews though it seems sometimes they just read the first or last line and throw out a number.

Are you sure about this? I read somewhere that RT assigns own rating based on the review if a number rating (i.e. an out of 5 rating)is not provided by the critic. But i am not too sure where I read it

5 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

I will not stand for this slander against Bridge of Spies (or Lincoln for that matter). And The Post is still really good.

Lincoln is one of the greatest scripts of this decade. It's "hip" to hate on historical biopics right now. Fuck 'em. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Are you sure about this? I read somewhere that RT assigns own rating based on the review if a number rating (i.e. an out of 5 rating)is not provided by the critic. But i am not too sure where I read it

They do this with assigned letter grades but not if there's no grade at all.   Just look at the 15 or so reviews that are up, add the score and see the avg.

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Feel good reading the early reviews. Hope this cracks 40 3-day, 50 4-day, 110 dom, 300 ww. Any idea what the prod budget is?

They haven't said but I reckon it's $140-160m. 

WB probably must be hoping it does more than $300m WW I imagine they want closer to $400-500m WW

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I could be wrong but I'm still feeling that this will be another Skull Island and make 500+mil worldwide.

I think Rampage will cut its leg a little but I think being the first blockbuster since BP that's actually decent will help it a lot. WB has to harness the good reactions and really go all in for the next few weeks marketing wise. They have plenty of pull quotes to work with. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think Rampage will cut its leg a little but I think being the first blockbuster since BP that's actually decent will help it a lot. WB has to harness the good reactions and really go all in for the next few weeks marketing wise. They have plenty of pull quotes to work with. 

WB does have to kick into high gear marketing wise. I think they should release another last minute trailer.