grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Just now, Jonwo said:

At worst, it'll be mixed and I don't see this having bad legs. 

Critical-wise Spielberg's been pretty consistent. Of course the "greats", have critical failures now and again, but even The BFG didn't have poor reviews. If the reviews are mixed, then I'm predicting something like 55% on RT's or something. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Critical-wise Spielberg's been pretty consistent. Of course the "greats", have critical failures now and again, but even The BFG didn't have poor reviews. If the reviews are mixed, then I'm predicting something like 55% on RT's or something. 

The BFG wasn't even a bad film, The BFG, War of the Worlds and Tintin got 74-75% on RT so that would be a good score for RPO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I think it'll do fine, critically. But I don't know if that's enough to get audiences to flock to the theaters.

It'll do more than The BFG, that was hampered by releasing it a week before SLOP. RPO has no real competition to deal with in comparison. 

What the hell is this? It reminds me of a weird mix of Valerian (but it doesn't look as good), Sucker Punch, Gamer :sparta:, and of course Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - with lots of random crap added.

And what is this ridiculous pose on all the posters, that is the hook of the movie?

ypcNknx.jpg&key=5be09d094a79ae5de7f320bf

...I don't think it will do well at the box office.

That trailer put the nail in the coffin for this to be any kind of box office hit DOM, imo. It really couldn't look more niche if they were trying, and the dialouge and acting from the two leads seems very cringey. I'm honestly surprised this is even Spielberg after that trailer. I also think the CGI for the humans when they're in the Oasis is pretty horrendous. Uncanny valley to the max and they look like they should be in an animated film, not a live action one. Kind of Polar Express-ish. Noticed since the first trailer, but was giving the benefit of the doubt that maybe it would look better closer to release. Nope. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That trailer put the nail in the coffin for this to be any kind of box office hit DOM, imo. It really couldn't look more niche if they were trying, and the dialouge and acting from the two leads seems very cringey. I'm honestly surprised this is even Spielberg after that trailer. I also think the CGI for the humans when they're in the Oasis is pretty horrendous. Uncanny valley to the max and they look like they should be in an animated film, not a live action one. Kind of Polar Express-ish. Noticed since the first trailer, but was giving the benefit of the doubt that maybe it would look better closer to release. Nope. 

40 for the 4 day is starting to look like the best case scenario to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

The BFG was real fun though. Such a cute movie.

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

What the hell is this? It reminds me of a weird mix of Valerian (but it doesn't look as good), Sucker Punch, Gamer :sparta:, and of course Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - with lots of random crap added.

And what is this ridiculous pose on all the posters, that is the hook of the movie?

...I don't think it will do well at the box office.

Great movies though.

• Thanks 1

I don't get the hate towards this. At least this idea is something that's original. Curious how often the two worlds are used but yeah some of the dialogue sounds a bit off in that trailer. Love the use of Pure Imagination again and can see a fun film there if Spielberg is on.

I hope it's good and surprises people.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, John Marston said:

Yeah that trailer is not good. Still think it's getting over 100m even if it is like the first Maze Runner where it opens to 30m and legs it out 

But it looks far better than any Maze Runner and it's still Spielberg and Silvestri.

Look at the credits:
Behind the scenes, three-time Oscar winner Spielberg (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”) reunited his creative team from “Bridge of Spies,” including Oscar-winning director of photography Janusz Kaminski (“Schindler’s List,” “Saving Private Ryan”), Oscar-winning production designer Adam Stockhausen (“The Grand Budapest Hotel”), Oscar-winning editor Michael Kahn (“Saving Private Ryan,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark”) and Sarah Broshar (“The Post”), and costume designer Kasia Walicka-Maimone (“Moonrise Kingdom”). The music is by Oscar-nominated composer Alan Silvestri (the “Back to the Future” films, “Forrest Gump”).

I have a lot more faith in this than I do anything like Maze Runner. Who knows though. I love to see films outside of superhero stuff be good.

On 2/15/2018 at 2:15 PM, Morieris said:

Insult to Valerian tbh

Man, you haven't seen it and I'll be shocked if anything in this is as bad as Dane DeHaans acting or Dane and Caras chemistry from that movie. The two people who were meant to carry it all. Or that cluster fuck of a plot.

Damn I guess a lot of people here want to see this fail for some reason.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I don't get the hate towards this. At least this idea is something that's original. Curious how often the two worlds are used but yeah some of the dialogue sounds a bit off in that trailer. Love the use of Pure Imagination again and can see a fun film there if Spielberg is on.

I hope it's good and surprises people.

I suspect the film is going to be like the book where it's going to 50/50 love or hate. To me, as long as it's a fun and entertaining film, I'm game. 

The dialogue is corny but the book was the same. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Man, you haven't seen it and I'll be shocked if anything in this is as bad as Dane DeHaans acting or Dane and Caras chemistry from that movie. The two people who were meant to carry it all. Or that cluster fuck of a plot.

Damn I guess a lot of people here want to see this fail for some reason.

Besides DeHaan, I ... genuinely really liked Valerian. This doesn't necessarily feel in the same ballpark , but very little of it feels genuine to me so far, filled with the heart of the book - if nothing else, you could feel the heart once you push past Cline's circa-2011 memelord references - or even interesting. 

I still don't get why the shots of the OASIS, how most of them are a really ugly and unappealing grey. I'd love to be surprised at this.

7 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Besides DeHaan, I ... genuinely really liked Valerian. This doesn't necessarily feel in the same ballpark , but very little of it feels genuine to me so far, filled with the heart of the book - if nothing else, you could feel the heart once you push past Cline's circa-2011 memelord references - or even interesting. 

I still don't get why the shots of the OASIS, how most of them are a really ugly and unappealing grey. I'd love to be surprised at this.

I have the feeling the film is going to be different from the book which might not be a bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I did not. Cinemasins pretty much laid out all of my issues with it outside of the casting.

Certain areas like the opening market had potential but it just fell apart and eventually gave me a headache. Some scenes felt like missions in a video game like when Cara had to get that thing from the Jellyfish or whatever (I can hardly remember it) and get back to Valerian. But then other areas of it were great like that Valerian run through the city but the rest of the film failed to live up to it. I really liked Fifth Element and enjoyed Lucy too.

I understand peoples complaints with the look of the Oasis but we already have something that's in the beginning stages of an OASIS in the real world (the knuckles meme) so to me it feels authentic and I hope that part of the film is good because it's probably going to ride on it. Personally I hope it's more live action than in the Oasis.

I see the list of who's attached to this and I want it to be fun. It's the first live action action blockbuster Spielberg has done in forever and I can see a good movie in the trailers if it doesn't have bad story elements.

And 0 hype? Maybe here. Not the rest of the internet.

If it sucks though, I'll be just as realistic to it as any other film. 

• Like 2