grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The zero female appeal likely won't hurt it, many films are male skewing and that doesn't hurt their grosses like Fast and Furious or any superhero film. 

CBMs haven't lacked female appeal by and large for well over a decade, or the ones that have are doing something very wrong. 

The Fast franchise definitely doesn't lack female appeal either. BOM reported an even gender split for F7's OW and 42% female for F8. Male driven action films can have female appeal. It's geeky looking male lead sci-fi that tends to suffer the most from female appeal, which is RPO's problem. John Carter and Valerian for example failed to capture female interest, playing a big part in both bombing so hard. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

CBMs haven't lacked female appeal by and large for well over a decade, or the ones that have are doing something very wrong. 

The Fast franchise definitely doesn't lack female appeal either. BOM reported an even gender split for F7's OW and 42% female for F8. Male driven action films can have female appeal. It's geeky looking male lead sci-fi that tends to suffer the most from female appeal, which is RPO's problem. John Carter and Valerian for example failed to capture female interest, playing a big part in both bombing so hard. 

If it does under $15-20m OW and fails to get to number 1 or 2, I'd be very surprised. Worse case scenario is in the $30m range OW, I think Box Office Pro's prediction is about right although I think it might be a touch higher. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

If it does under $15-20m OW and fails to get to number 1 or 2, I'd be very surprised. Worse case scenario is in the $30m range OW, I think Box Office Pro's prediction is about right although I think it might be a touch higher. 

I never said it would only do 15-20m OW. I do think 30's is likely though. 

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This would have benefited big time from an SB spot. Awareness still feels extremely low for this and they only have a month and a half. 

They're likely waiting for Black Panther to be released before kicking off the marketing.