Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Acting wasn't a problem at all in this movie, everything else was..

I am a very big and a very biased fan of the movie. I love the franchise, and I love that Ridley Scott touch in the movie. No doubt the plot needs more than a little rewrite but the story is ambitious, too ambitious to be in a single movie. If you notice, there are 3 stories running in the movie, all have similar themes & ideas:

Story #1: The main story which I feel is the strongest is a personal one. This is about innocence lost, personified by Shaw character. Believe in the benevolence of the "alien creators" but feel betrayed at the end.

Story #2: David story which I feel is no less intriguing but seldom explored by fans of the movie. David, a replicant introduced as "not human, never grow old etc" is a strange concept for the general audience. Those who are not a big fan of BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN franchise (with all the malfunctioning androids/replicants) would scratch their heads: who/what is this guy? David wants to be free of Weyland's control, feels kinship to the Engineers somehow, fascinated and admire them, the way Shaw does, only less spiritually. There is no accident in a movie filled with religious symbolism (pyramid, LV223 Bible reference, Christmas, procreation, genetic inheritance, star map, ancient drawings), the character who is the inheritor of sacred knowledge of alien creators is named after the Biblical King David. It is David who first decipher the writings on the wall (nice pun), it is David who activates the Orrery, it is David who awakens the Engineer (though this is a wrong move, seemingly), it is David who operates the vessel to reach "Paradise." But in the end another "believer betrayed" story.

Story#3: Weyland's quest for immortality. Feels like some cheap b-movie plot, and by far the weakest, come too late, and further muddy the whole narrative. The quiet scene with Vickers pleading for him not to seek the Engineer's blessing is dramatically loaded but it takes the movie into another territory (I bet this is Lindelof's LOST Daddy Issues plotting). It is better to show Weyland as arrogant egomaniac like he is in that TED talk clip (brilliantly acted by Guy Pearce) rather than a kindly grandfather so that the audience can get a "twist" at the end. Too much plotting. Not a believer, but his comeuppance feels strained. Even though he is monster who exploits his crew so that he can live on, we don't quite know who Weyland is as a character.

[i feel that those PROMETHEUS Virals should be released in theater spread over 2 weeks before the film opens. That would create a cool anticipation (what is this movie??), something fresh and different from a regular quick cut, boom-blam type of soundtrack that have audience groaning in unison: another one of these? Those Fox virals are brilliant marketing and they serve as an exposition for the movie. Why waste them on YouTube ? Warner Bros has a chance with PACIFIC RIM which can use the same Fox marketing strategy.]

Although all these narrative strands kinda tie into the whole Engineer/Xenomorph/Weyland Corporation mythology, some sharing similar theme about spirituality and stupidity & arrogance of Mankind, they are all better spread over into 3 movies instead of being crammed into what is supposed to be a minimalist space thriller ala the first ALIEN. I feel that there are lot of execs, producers, writers, and Ridley himself who tear each other apart for their own modern take on the legendary scfi movie. That's why the movie feels muddied and unsatisfying even though both the visuals and the ambitious concept (story) are just perfect for scfi fans like me.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

I find it curious that some people act like Prometheus is the first movie ever made based on a leaky script in which the characters do stupid shit.

Some were expecting some kind of "perfection" from it.(me included, my bad).And the teaser just put fuel into fire.