Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

The ones incessantly complaining about Prometheus' plot holes while praising TDKR to no end make me laugh. Even though I prefer TDKR to Prometheus, it has more annoying plot holes than the sci-fi epic.

If plot holes were the only problems with Promethues.Every movie has plot holes.

The ones incessantly complaining about Prometheus' plot holes while praising TDKR to no end make me laugh. Even though I prefer TDKR to Prometheus, it has more annoying plot holes than the sci-fi epic.

TDKR was riddled with plot holes, but at least accomplished what it set out to do, which is why it is better than Prometheus.

Prometheus can't even be called a movie because it doesn't tell a complete story and it doesn't make sense.

Edited by rallax
  • Like 1

It seems like a lot of people agree with you, the film has excellent 7.6 on IMDB

That's lower rating than Watchmen, with around half as many votes. Was Watchmen well received? (I liked it but that's beside the matter)I put more stock in Cinemascore than IMDB votes, especially when it comes to franchises with substantial fandom.

I put more stock in Cinemascore than IMDB votes, especially when it comes to franchises with substantial fandom.

Yeah, its true that IMDB users tend to go easy on really shitty movies. Sucker Punch, The Change-Up and Rock of Ages are all above 6.0 Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Cinemascore is completely unreliable. Didn't Drive get a grade of C-?

I believe that reflects what the general audience felt about it. Drive was received well by more art-house type of moviegoers but those probably weren't the majority during the OW when the score was given.

Same here. I enjoyed how Scott/Lindeloff dangled the ages old questions out there but like reality, didn't tie it up for us in a neat bow. Instead said, here are a few pieces of a possible answer for more insight go to "x".My issues were with the badly thought out characters and their motivations needed to just advance the story. That is where I felt the script dropped the ball.I saw the film twice and look forward to more Shaw&David looking for answers, perhaps with slightly different motives...or not.

The motivations of the characters were very clear, you just didn't like them or they went over your head. David's, Shaw's, Weylend's, and Holloway's were all very specific and distinct from eachother. Vickers is the only one that remains a mystery as she could either be an android or weylend's daughter, either one works but it changes the structure of the film a bit depending on which one you believe. The rest of the scientists were new age space scientists that were over confident and completely infatuated with their curiosity and sense of wonder(which made them do questionable things sometimes, Holloway shared this) that thought they were about to do anything from finding immortality, humanity's origins(and finally disproving the biggest crock of shit known as religion in the process), or discovering a profound Alien race and intelligence. Janek's character is the most human character, he was a direct and deliberate contrast to them. His job is just to fly the ship. He is smug and thinks most of the people there are idiots chasing their tails and over-thinking everything on a futile mission. The fact that the thing on his mind deep out in space is sex and getting inside his sexy boss's pants also speaks to this.This is the way the film was designed and its not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, especially that Alien fanboy culture. I remember laughing my ass off walking out of my first viewing because I knew some of those douche bags were gonna be mortified.

Prometheus doesn't have plot holes because of the way it was designed, there are a lot of hints for everything but not necessarily concrete answers for some of them which is why I'm really looking forward to Paradise. Its like saying 2001 is full of plot holes or doesn't make any sense. I haven't seen TDKR but from what I've read about that film it does seem to have some problems. I'll catch it on TV, I was never a Batman fan even though I really liked TDK, mostly for the Joker. Edited by Shpongle

The rest of the scientists were new age space scientists that were over confident and completely infatuated with their curiosity and sense of wonder(which made them do questionable things sometimes, Holloway shared this) that thought they were about to do anything from finding immortality, humanity's origins(and finally disproving the biggest crock of shit known as religion in the process), or discovering a profound Alien race and intelligence. Janek's character is the most human character, he was a direct and deliberate contrast to them.

These were the ones I had specifically in mind during my post. But even Shaw gives Holloway a great answer when he suggests she take off her cross, "Well then who created them"---the idea of A creator is still there. Just depends on how far back one has to drill down, thus not invalidating the concept of religion and how humanity interacts with it as part of our development.

They decided not to contact the ship despite the fact Janek could have told them precisely where to go (as he had a perfect 3-dimensional map in front of him) and despite the fact there was a storm coming. (BTW: the ship sure had some shitty sensors considering they didn't pick up a gigantic storm until it was practically on them) Now give me a single reason why they wouldn't ask for help. (remember, they were supposedly scared, meaning they'd probably want to get out as soon as possible) Also, the maze apparently wasn't so complex as to prevent Noomi & co. from leaving it immediately despite having much less time to figure out the way.

Lol what is this? They didn't call Janek because they thought they were going the right way out. Not until they realized they were walking around lost in the maze did they call them for help. Name a movie you like and I'll extremely over-analyze it for you. This isn't even critcism here, you're talking about a different and non-existant movie.

And nice analysis on ship sensors. Posted ImagePosted Image

The storm was miles and miles out when they detected it.

So the super healing agent immediately sealed up a severed abdomen which otherwise would prevent her from even moving out of the operating machine. Normally it takes many weeks for women to recover from such procedure and running around, pulling oneself up a rope, etc. would be out of question for months. So yeah I call bullshit on such "science" as it makes as much sense as Wolverine's regeneration. At least I would expect the filmmakers to explain how such thing is possible but no, here I'm just supposed to go along with it.

Posted Image

You're calling the healing agent bullshit because it didn't specify how long took to heal her up? It was obviously really fast because of the facts of the film I gave you(white scaring minutes after it happened along with the pills she takes before she suits up to go down to the enigineer), but not quite wolverine fast hurr with the staples holding her together. This is a science fiction movie that takes place about 100 years in the future, you're subjective opinion and nitpicking on the science here as a reason to knock the film is completely laughable.

Hey, why did the Nostromo have a cat on it? Did they have a problem with space mice? Posted Image

Edited by Shpongle

Lol what is this? They didn't call Janek because they thought they were going the right way out. Not until they realized they were walking around lost in the maze did they call them for help.

Janek could see their location at any given time. Why didn't he give them the heads up the moment they made a wrong turn?

Name a movie you like and I'll extremely over-analyze it for you.

All right. Alien. Or 2001. Whichever suits you better.

This isn't even critcism here, you're talking about a different and non-existant movie.

I wish I was.

And nice analysis on ship sensors. Posted ImagePosted Image

The storm was miles and miles out when they detected it.

And yet still not far enough for our 2 "scientists" to manage to haul their asses out in time. I imagine if the pyramid was 20 mins drive further from the ship they'd all be stranded there.

You're calling the healing agent bullshit because it didn't specify how long took to heal her up?

It healed her up immediately, otherwise she wouldn't be able to move out of the medpod. The entire stumbling around and all that act was only meant to mask the fact that you can't walk at all after a c-section. If humanity has developed a technique for rapid regeneration I expect at least a brief lip-service paid to that in order to make it plausible. That's good science-fiction. As it is, the filmmakers simply pulled stuff out of their asses and expect us to go along with it. That's lazy storytelling.

And just to clarify, this and things like interstellar travel, hypersleep, androids are different in that the latter are all established sci-fi tropes, so explaining them would be redundant. The magic gel isn't, it's something new or at least uncommon. You introduce a new element, you should justify it somehow, especially when it's something potentially as important. (if you can immediately heal broken muscles, that means you can immediately cure almost any wound, right?)

Oh and a little edit. Those tropes I mentioned, they're normally introduced to serve a specific purpose, to present us with certain themes, associated with sci-fi genre. We have some traces of that with David and his behaviour, which might be supposed to show us the possible interaction between a creation and creators and the implications of that. With magic gel, there's no such underlying theme. It's only used as a cheap way to drive the plot in desired direction. It's not mentioned anywhere in any capacity, it's removed from the remaining narrative. It's lazy and insulting.

but not quite wolverine fast hurr with the staples holding her together.

Since she could flail her legs right after the procedure, that means the gel or whatever sealed the incision more or less right off the bat, staples or no staples. Very much wolverine level. The entire scene was obviously set up solely as an attempt to shock the audience and best the Alien's chestburster. Only with blatant disregard to basic human anatomy and story continuity. (no one gives a shit about either bloodied Shaw or her "baby", including Vickers, whose surgical machine she used and left in not too hygienic state)

you're subjective opinion and nitpicking on the science here

Science? Where? Must have missed it.

Hey, why did the Nostromo have a cat on it? Did they have a problem with space mice? Posted Image

I have a cat despite not having a problem with mice. Problem?

Your attempts at being witty and ironic are what's truly laughable here and not in a way intended.

BTW: Seems like I finally know why you're so bent on defending this

and finally disproving the biggest crock of shit known as religion in the process

Because it's stroking your atheist dick.

Edited by Bitcher
  • Like 1