Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Janek could see their location at any given time. Why didn't he give them the heads up the moment they made a wrong turn?

All right. Alien. Or 2001. Whichever suits you better.

I wish I was.

And yet still not far enough for our 2 "scientists" to manage to haul their asses out in time. I imagine if the pyramid was 20 mins drive further from the ship they'd all be stranded there.

It healed her up immediately, otherwise she wouldn't be able to move out of the medpod. The entire stumbling around and all that act was only meant to mask the fact that you can't walk at all after a c-section. If humanity has developed a technique for rapid regeneration I expect at least a brief lip-service paid to that in order to make it plausible. That's good science-fiction. As it is, the filmmakers simply pulled stuff out of their asses and expect us to go along with it. That's lazy storytelling.

And just to clarify, this and things like interstellar travel, hypersleep, androids are different in that the latter are all established sci-fi tropes, so explaining them would be redundant. The magic gel isn't, it's something new or at least uncommon. You introduce a new element, you should justify it somehow, especially when it's something potentially as important. (if you can immediately heal broken muscles, that means you can immediately cure almost any wound, right?)

Oh and a little edit. Those tropes I mentioned, they're normally introduced to serve a specific purpose, to present us with certain themes, associated with sci-fi genre. We have some traces of that with David and his behaviour, which might be supposed to show us the possible interaction between a creation and creators and the implications of that. With magic gel, there's no such underlying theme. It's only used as a cheap way to drive the plot in desired direction. It's not mentioned anywhere in any capacity, it's removed from the remaining narrative. It's lazy and insulting.

Since she could flail her legs right after the procedure, that means the gel or whatever sealed the incision more or less right off the bat, staples or no staples. Very much wolverine level. The entire scene was obviously set up solely as an attempt to shock the audience and best the Alien's chestburster. Only with blatant disregard to basic human anatomy and story continuity. (no one gives a shit about either bloodied Shaw or her "baby", including Vickers, whose surgical machine she used and left in not too hygienic state)

Science? Where? Must have missed it.

I have a cat despite not having a problem with mice. Problem?

Your attempts at being witty and ironic are what's truly laughable here and not in a way intended.

BTW: Seems like I finally know why you're so bent on defending this

Because it's stroking your atheist dick.

This is the most nerdiest post I've ever seen, congrats. You sound like a miserable person. The film shows that the healing agent immediately started rapidly healing her up in a matter of minutes and that she took additional regeneration drugs(in pill form) after she barely limped out of the med pod room before going down to the engineer.. 99% of films, science fiction or not, aren't meant for Science Professors. We even saw a deliberate shot of her stomach that showed white scarring on her stomach, indicating she was healed up. Your extreme techno-babble here is hysterical, it doesn't sound smart at all. I don't have anything further to discuss about this so if you wanna continue this conversation with yourself, then by all means.

And I'm a proud rational atheist, so choke on my dong. Posted Image

I suppose you also think Weylend being on the ship secretly was just dumb and pointless right? Weyland was extremely old and had only days to live. He didn't want to die while the mission was being prepared, so he was put into cryostasis and the public was told he had passed away.

Because Weyland had such limited time to live outside of cryo they waited until they had found the surviving Engineer before they woke him (to do otherwise would have been foolish). Had David(who was programmed by Weylend) not found anything of worth to him on that specific planet(Engineer, Fountain of Youth substance or whatever), Weyland would have been kept in cryo until they discovered another way to extend his life.

This information is all in the film or is easily inferred. This part wasn't even hard to figure out. This film definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it has done an excellent job of exposing just how clueless some people really are when it comes to analyzing this film.

The Redlettermedia video review was the worst of all because not a single thing he said had merit and I suspect thats where some people are getting they're info from because they're usually pretty good at reviewing films.

Edited by Shpongle

This is the most nerdiest post I've ever seen, congrats. You sound like a miserable person.

Your insults are as superfluous as half the Prometheus' characters. Please spare yourself the effort of typing them next time.

99% of films, science fiction or not, aren't meant for Science Professors.

I don't know what kind of movies professors want to watch. (one of mine former ones was actually a fan of early Ridley's movies but he wasn't really a strictly scientific type) What I do know though, is that it doesn't take a professor to point out the flaws in this scene. All it would take is a mother who's been through a c-section. (pretty common these days)

Your extreme techno-babble here is hysterical,

I just double-checked to be sure and there's no techno-babble in any of my posts here. I use clear terms as I'm not even qualified enough to use the more technical ones properly. In fact, I'm beginning to think you attach various words and expressions to your messages without ensuring they make sense in the context.

You remind me of Prometheus in that regard, come to think of it.

I don't have anything further to discuss about this so if you wanna continue this conversation with yourself, then by all means.

Seeing as you haven't brought anything new to the subject, elaborating on it further would indeed be pointless on my part. I stated my feelings on the whole magic gel thing and I stand by them.

And I'm a proud rational atheist, so choke on my dong. Posted Image

Nothing inherently rational about being an atheist. Just another set of beliefs, usually connected with frantically defiant approach to other perspectives, as evidenced by your case.

And I find particularly amusing that you'd already proceed towards a different topic even though I had no intention of bringing it up in the first place. Oh well, seeing as you've already put effort into typing all this, I'd feel rude to just ignore it.

I suppose you also think Weylend being on the ship secretly was just dumb and pointless right?

It was definitely pointless to keep it secret up until the very last moment. Why not reveal it at the briefing? Why not make the purpose of their expedition (seeking a way to live forever) more clear? Maybe then the crew would behave in a more focused manner?

Weyland was extremely old and had only days to live. He didn't want to die while the mission was being prepared, so he was put into cryostasis and the public was told he had passed away.

Why was the public told he passed away? Only justification I can find is by referring to Shaw's viral video. Or is there some other explanation?

Because Weyland had such limited time to live outside of cryo they waited until they had found the surviving Engineer before they woke him (to do otherwise would have been foolish).

What was foolish was bringing Weyland in front of the engineer without establishing prior contact with it as the characters found out the hard way. David couldn't possibly have known for sure he would be able to converse with him properly. Also for someone so paranoid about his safety, Weyland didn't seem to have any problems with meeting the alien face to face, even though there was absolute no need for him to do so.

This information is all in the film or is easily inferred. This part wasn't even hard to figure out.

Indeed it wasn't. In fact, there was absolutely no need for you to spell out most of that, at least as far as I'm concerned.

This film definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea,

Oh I agree with this.

but it has done an excellent job of exposing just how clueless some people really are when it comes to analyzing this film.

And with this too, but probably not in a way you'd want to.

The Redlettermedia video review was the worst of all because not a single thing he said had merit and I suspect thats where some people are getting they're info from because they're usually pretty good at reviewing films.

My opinion on Prom didn't change whatsoever after watching that episode. I walked out of the movie having mostly positive feelings for it but after I started trying to put together what I just saw it gradually dawned on me how many holes, fluff characters and plotlines and other flaws this movie had. Wheareas I can appreciate a few things it portrayed the script is downright amateurish and puts a huge dent on the overall experience.

I'd be up for James Cameron's Prometheuses if he ever gets out of Pandora.

Perfect P2 should be directed by Cameron. One more year of waiting won't be bad. Gives Scott more time to do Blade Runner.

Your insults are as superfluous as half the Prometheus' characters. Please spare yourself the effort of typing them next time.

I don't know what kind of movies professors want to watch. (one of mine former ones was actually a fan of early Ridley's movies but he wasn't really a strictly scientific type) What I do know though, is that it doesn't take a professor to point out the flaws in this scene. All it would take is a mother who's been through a c-section. (pretty common these days)

I just double-checked to be sure and there's no techno-babble in any of my posts here. I use clear terms as I'm not even qualified enough to use the more technical ones properly. In fact, I'm beginning to think you attach various words and expressions to your messages without ensuring they make sense in the context.

You remind me of Prometheus in that regard, come to think of it.

Seeing as you haven't brought anything new to the subject, elaborating on it further would indeed be pointless on my part. I stated my feelings on the whole magic gel thing and I stand by them.

Nothing inherently rational about being an atheist. Just another set of beliefs, usually connected with frantically defiant approach to other perspectives, as evidenced by your case.

And I find particularly amusing that you'd already proceed towards a different topic even though I had no intention of bringing it up in the first place. Oh well, seeing as you've already put effort into typing all this, I'd feel rude to just ignore it.

Posted Image

You think its ok to have faster than light travel and cryostasis in a science fiction film(both of which are in countless scifi epics and are completely impossible btw) yet you and some others in this thread think its not ok to have rapid regeneration healing drugs in a science fiction film because thats just not ok to you. Thats techno-babble. Notice how I only needed 1 sentence to completely debunk your long and stupid post? Your argument would have merit if she didn't take the drugs during the surgery. I get it, you're a fan of selective criticism and double standards. Sometimes its just hard to tell if people like you are deliberately dumb or just sincerely dumb. Posted Image

It was definitely pointless to keep it secret up until the very last moment. Why not reveal it at the briefing? Why not make the purpose of their expedition (seeking a way to live forever) more clear? Maybe then the crew would behave in a more focused manner?

Why was the public told he passed away? Only justification I can find is by referring to Shaw's viral video. Or is there some other explanation?

What was foolish was bringing Weyland in front of the engineer without establishing prior contact with it as the characters found out the hard way. David couldn't possibly have known for sure he would be able to converse with him properly. Also for someone so paranoid about his safety, Weyland didn't seem to have any problems with meeting the alien face to face, even though there was absolute no need for him to do so.

Indeed it wasn't. In fact, there was absolutely no need for you to spell out most of that, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Oh I agree with this.

And with this too, but probably not in a way you'd want to.

My opinion on Prom didn't change whatsoever after watching that episode. I walked out of the movie having mostly positive feelings for it but after I started trying to put together what I just saw it gradually dawned on me how many holes, fluff characters and plotlines and other flaws this movie had. Wheareas I can appreciate a few things it portrayed the script is downright amateurish and puts a huge dent on the overall experience.

Posted Image

Nothing here has merit as well. You're creative use of editing here by seperating everything in my post in a desperate attempt to get inside the state of mind/motivation of the characters and to break down the logic does nothing to help your case. And as for David FYI, he could figure out the alien language through all the texts he came across prior to meeting the Enigneer("I believe I can") because hes an Android hurrr. Wasn't that the point of the company having Android space science officers in Alien, because they were smarter? Ash was also secretly programmed to follow specific orders no matter what in Alien, just like David was in Prometheus. Was even this too much to melt your brain? Admit it, Game over man, game over!

Try not to embarass yourself by seperating my post this time because you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole every time you do it.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

You think its ok to have faster than light travel and cryostasis in a science fiction film(both of which are in countless scifi epics and are completely impossible btw) yet you and some others in this thread think its not ok to have rapid regeneration healing drugs in a science fiction film because thats just not ok to you.

That's one of the most ridiculous complaints about the movie.
  • Like 1

blah, blah...Thats techno-babble.

You don't even know what you don't know.

Notice how I only needed 1 sentence to completely debunk your long and stupid post?

All I noticed was your spectacular fail at reading comprehension.

Try not to embarass yourself

I feel embarrassed by actually believing at one point that I could have a worthwhile discussion here but everything I wrote just went right over your head. You should count yourself lucky your keyboard isn't sentient, otherwise it would surely rebel against being used for typing such mindless rubbish. You're getting the privilege of being the first one to end up on my ignore list. Feel free to consider yourself the victorious side on this "argument" (not that you'd be able to recognize defeat even if it hit you right in the face) and keep reveling in your superiority stemming from such profound understanding of the intellectual masterpiece known as Prometheus.Signing out.

You don't even know what you don't know.All I noticed was your spectacular fail at reading comprehension.I feel embarrassed by actually believing at one point that I could have a worthwhile discussion here but everything I wrote just went right over your head. You should count yourself lucky your keyboard isn't sentient, otherwise it would surely rebel against being used for typing such mindless rubbish. You're getting the privilege of being the first one to end up on my ignore list. Feel free to consider yourself the victorious side on this "argument" (not that you'd be able to recognize defeat even if it hit you right in the face) and keep reveling in your superiority stemming from such profound understanding of the intellectual masterpiece known as Prometheus.Signing out.

Thanks for for signing out and putting me on ignore, its about time. You faceplanted a long time ago.

Perfect P2 should be directed by Cameron. One more year of waiting won't be bad. Gives Scott more time to do Blade Runner.

As a side note, watching Blade Runner on Syfy right now and I think it's the original version because I just heard a voice over from Ford.Yep, he's doing it right now. Nice, this is actually my preferred version as it's the one I grew up with.

You think its ok to have faster than light travel and cryostasis in a science fiction film(both of which are in countless scifi epics and are completely impossible btw) yet you and some others in this thread think its not ok to have rapid regeneration healing drugs in a science fiction film because thats just not ok to you. Thats techno-babble. Notice how I only needed 1 sentence to completely debunk your long and stupid post? Your argument would have merit if she didn't take the drugs during the surgery. I get it, you're a fan of selective criticism and double standards.

You are the only one calling it that. Never did it get mentioned as such in the movie. When someone is in pain in a movie and they take drugs, it is to numb the pain, not be a cure-all rapid regeneration.

Even if that is what it is, which is certainly possible, that makes other things seem kinda silly.

Magic regeneration drug? Why is Peter spending a trillion dollars to fly across the galaxy to find everlasting life when he has rapid regeneration drugs in the med bay?

You keep trying to help out Lindeloff and Scott, but you are making it worse.

Thanks for for signing out and putting me on ignore, its about time. You faceplanted a long time ago.

You want to know why you can't tolerate dissenting opinions about this movie? It's that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that maybe all those people hating on it are right.Here's the bad news: they are.

You are the only one calling it that. Never did it get mentioned as such in the movie. When someone is in pain in a movie and they take drugs, it is to numb the pain, not be a cure-all rapid regeneration.

Even if that is what it is, which is certainly possible, that makes other things seem kinda silly.

So it has to to be explained with dialogue in the movie, not imagery? We see a deliberate shot of her stomach completely healed up after the surgery with white scars, how could that drug have been anything else? Ridley Scott gave us that scene for a specific reason. To think otherwise would mean one thinks she completely healed up naturally that quick, which quite frankly, is hilarious. I'm the one using facts the of the film here over and over again, you guys are the ones that keep making stuff up because of your failure to pay attention to details. And now that you bring up painkillers, it could have very well been a hybrid drug, but that doesn't really matter.

Magic regeneration drug? Why is Peter spending a trillion dollars to fly across the galaxy to find everlasting life when he has rapid regeneration drugs in the med bay?

Last time I checked the reasons of dying from old age and an injury(which the drugs were clearly for) are fundementally different.

You keep trying to help out Lindeloff and Scott, but you are making it worse.

Yeah, god forbid them having faith in the audience to pay attention to details and comprehend them.

You want to know why you can't tolerate dissenting opinions about this movie? It's that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that maybe all those people hating on it are right.

Here's the bad news: they are.

Some people are naturally gonna be uncomfortable and hate the use of ambiguity and open-endedness in a film. Heres a spoiler, I haven't mentioned those aspects of the film at all in this thread because its a waste of time for that reason. Its the same reason 2001 would be seen as a polarizing film if it were released today(and it still is), despite being a film made by Stanley Kubrick, arguably the greatest filmmaker of all time.

Its not that Prometheus can't be criticized, I just haven't seen anything concrete. You have to look at a film in what it intended to do, and in that regard, it succeeded and theres nothing wrong with it. If you look at this film just on its surface, of course you're going to hate it.

Edited by Shpongle

I'm an one of those people who enjoyed "Prometheus" very much and I cannot wait for the DVD edition. People were over-analyzing the flaws way to much and didn't enjoy the movie for what it was. I can't wait for the sequel, I hope it actually becomes a trilogy.

• Like 1

The movie was a giant improv.The deleted scenes, the photos from the art book, the gaping elipses, the dumbest characters you will ever meet in a "serious" sci fi flick, nobody was knowing what an aging man was doing ...Imagine the means of Prometheus given to a hungry 30 year old filmaker could have done ...

I'm an one of those people who enjoyed "Prometheus" very much and I cannot wait for the DVD edition. People were over-analyzing the flaws way to much and didn't enjoy the movie for what it was. I can't wait for the sequel, I hope it actually becomes a trilogy.

A demo reel for London-based special effects companies ?Very effective in deed.

http://www.slashfilm...ed-from-ending/

35 minutes of deleted scenes on the DVD, 15 minutes of which come from the third act.

Wtf? 35 minutes is a huge number.

And now wikipedia says there will actually be an extended cut of the film featuring an additional 20 minutes of footage with 30 minutes of deleted scenes. Lots of conflicting shit floating around.

Edited by Shpongle

Wtf? 35 minutes is a huge number.And now wikipedia says there will actually be an extended cut of the film featuring an additional 20 minutes of footage with 30 minutes of deleted scenes. Lots of conflicting shit floating around.

Deleted scenes and additional footage are different.