Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not really seeing similarities with Pixar, tbh.

Also, way to represent Portland.

Thanks!

Obviously not a perfect comparison, but Pixar's style of storytelling, using abstract characters and ideas to teach real-life situations, can be found a lot in The Lion King. Obviously it's not the first time Disney has done this, but I think its enormous success showed Disney that it could have massive success outside of princess-and-prince stories.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Your Name was my favourite animated film last year, but I even liked Zootopia and Moana more than Kubo.

I didn't mind Kubo either, but other than maybe Coraline, I don't get the hype and appeal for Laika productions overall right.

I fully agree with this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Even though I liked this one a lot, Zootopia losing the Oscar to this would be a pretty big injustice.

No, it wouldn't. Honestly, an Oscar win would mean a lot more for this movie. Zootopia already has the mainstream backing and whatever happens tomorrow its place as an animated classic is already well-established. This movie bombed and needs the extra publicity and interest that comes with winning a lot more.

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

No, it wouldn't. Honestly, an Oscar win would mean a lot more for this movie. Zootopia already has the mainstream backing and whatever happens tomorrow its place as an animated classic is already well-established. This movie bombed and needs the extra publicity and interest that comes with winning a lot more.

Is it the better movie though?