Ezen Baklattan

Kubo & The Two Strings | 8/19/16 | LAIKA | Early Reviews are Very Positive

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no one time before, nightmare before christmas. stop motion work seems to get them going and i can see why.

I can see that, Nightmare before Christmas was really innovated for Stop Motion at the time.

Sad it probably won't Win. This has been kind of Jungle Books category from day one.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lots of people praise this movie for its complex mature perspective on death and dying, and how it imparts that wisdom to children.

There was already an animated feature that did that, and in a more coherent way. It's called The Lion King.

You have to admit though, the title is super cool.

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lots of people praise this movie for its complex mature perspective on death and dying, and how it imparts that wisdom to children.

There was already an animated feature that did that, and in a more coherent way. It's called The Lion King.

I love both the movies, but I think Kubo gets the edge for me.  If only because it didn't rip off Hamlet. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

When you love a movie, you just love it. Doesn't matter what other movies share its storyline.

TBH, The Lion King was my first movie obsession, and it caused me to research film-making in general.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i like the lion king but they come at it all from very different angles w/ different elements. i like how kubo is about the power of storytelling and legacy too, and not in a wanky way like some films do.

If you say so. I just didn't buy into Kubo's wonky plot.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i can see it. i'm not really a plot guy though. this has more artistry and heart than the other major animated pictures from last year (red turtle probs comes closest) so it gets the most points from me.

I actually love eye-candy, but my expectations were out of wack here.

You know, after I saw some snobs praise Kubo, I thought it would be something extraordinary.

8 minutes in, we get an obnoxious old lady as comic relief. WTF, I thought this movie was supposed to be different, snobs!

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

How did it compare to Warcraft?

I actually enjoyed both of them about the same.

I really enjoyed both of them but they weren't anything mind blowing. It probably helps that my little girl really liked both of them about the same.

Edited by Arlborn

The Lion King is a masterpiece and a true pioneer for what animated movies could convey. Probably the most Pixar-like of the Disney Renaissance movies in terms of the story they tried to tell and the way they went about doing it.

Hopefully, if this generation has any love for art, Kubo will eventually be considered a modern classic as well. Both are great.

And also, whoever tries to deny that Kubo didn't deserve a VFX nod (as a certain someone mentioned earlier) has clearly done no research into the process of stop-motion animation.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Eevin said:

The Lion King is a masterpiece and a true pioneer for what animated movies could convey. Probably the most Pixar-like of the Disney Renaissance movies in terms of the story they tried to tell and the way they went about doing it.

Not really seeing similarities with Pixar, tbh.

Also, way to represent Portland.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1