baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/financial/lionsgate-vice-chairman-dvd-still-massive-business-us-38677

Lionsgate Vice Chairman: “The DVD business is going to be around a lot longer than people think. It’s still a massive business for us. It’s not going away.”

He's basing this statement on how well Warrior has done on video.

Warrior was huge in my country. It wasn't even released in cinemas but HV made it one of the most popular movies of last few years.

• Like 1

Zootopia picked up another 350K units and 8M$ (Blu Ray only) in its 2nd week which is in line with what The Lego Movie did 2 years ago.  Comparing week-to-week with Minions and Inside Out doesn't really work because the former was released two weeks before Christmas while the latter was released a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. 

SW - TFA is now only 200K units behind Avengers for 4th place all time on Blu Ray.  It is ranked 3rd in terms of dollars (not counting boxed sets).   

Deadpool is one week away from entering the top 30 All time on Blu Ray in terms of units. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, langer said:

Zootopia picked up another 350K units and 8M$ (Blu Ray only) in its 2nd week which is in line with what The Lego Movie did 2 years ago.  Comparing week-to-week with Minions and Inside Out doesn't really work because the former was released two weeks before Christmas while the latter was released a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. 

SW - TFA is now only 200K units behind Avengers for 4th place all time on Blu Ray.  It is ranked 3rd in terms of dollars (not counting boxed sets).   

Deadpool is one week away from entering the top 30 All time on Blu Ray in terms of units. 

The-Numbers seems to update on an inconsistent basis.

DVD sales are going to have to be around 400k to fall in line with my predictions, otherwise I just have no clue what they're doing. Might be my lack of sophistication, though.

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The-Numbers seems to update on an inconsistent basis.

DVD sales are going to have to be around 400k to fall in line with my predictions, otherwise I just have no clue what they're doing. Might be my lack of sophistication, though.

A 52% drop for Zoo would be very good. 

55 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/gfk-study-70-percent-never-bought-digital-videos-1201843250/

More Than Two Thirds of Consumers Have Never Bought a Digital Video

Actually surprises me. I think that that number is going to rise in the future, though. It's the newest format, so to speak.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Actually surprises me. I think that that number is going to rise in the future, though. It's the newest format, so to speak.

MOst people like to own tangible things they buy, not just license them especially if they're paying the same price for lesser quality.   If they're going to go digital they're more likely to use Netflix or Amazon to stream it under a monthly plan..

Similarly, ebooks after premature "print is dead" edicts are still a minority in the book marketplace (around 30%)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/gfk-study-70-percent-never-bought-digital-videos-1201843250/

That two-thirds figure is wrong. Contradicted by this detail in the article:

46 percent of consumers have ever bought or rented a digital movie or TV show, according to GfK’s recent Home Technology Monitor.

That means that it's actually 54% who have never bought a digital video.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That two-thirds figure is wrong. Contradicted by this detail in the article:

That means that it's actually 54% who have never bought a digital video.

It says "or rented" so a significant part of those have rented but do not buy digital.

Edited by TalismanRing

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It says "or rented" so a significant part of those have rented but do not buy digital.

And,,,well...rentals are nothing near a purchase.  You can't lump them together.  If 2 people rent my movie, and 1 buys digitally...yeah, I like the buyer much more than the two renters.

And no, I don't have a movie to buy or rent, stop asking.  But when it happens...please buy.

Edited by kowhite

18 hours ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Speaking as a parent, I buy the "kid stuff" digitally. No disc to damage. Seriously, that's the criteria. It's just way easier to pull up Apple TV and hit play on Pixar's latest. Now on the rare occasion when I buy for myself, yeah, Blu-ray all the way.

Not sure how many people are following that example, going by the stories of digital purchases being unpopular.

Edited by cannastop

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Not sure how many people are following that example, going by the stories of digital purchases being unpopular.

Its like anything, regular joes take awhile.

How many people in america use netflix? 29m. two years ago it was probably half that. There are 320m people in America. 

My mom got netflix 2 months ago, my dad a year ago. both regular people, with have never bought a movie online or rented online. besides me though Idk anyone in the family who doest have cable or satellite still. 

Its by no means unpopular, in fact every year its more popular and discs get less, its just changing of the times.

it took fucking how long for america to move on to widescreen TV'S? like 13 years after dvd it finally became the standard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I feel like I have done my good deed for the day when I disable Trumotion or motion smoothing on my relative and friends's TV.

Whenever I go to a hotel I set up their automatic-aspect ratio correctly, turn down sharpening, and turn off Trumotion. :lol: 

• Like 1

On 24 août 2016 at 3:04 AM, TalismanRing said:

They know tons of shit about codecs and MKVs etc

Speaking as a parent, I buy the "kid stuff" digitally. No disc to damage. Seriously, that's the criteria. It's just way easier to pull up Apple TV and hit play on Pixar's latest. Now on the rare occasion when I buy for myself, yeah, Blu-ray all the way.

Pretty much spot on. We're still using (mostly) DVD's, and just purchased our third "Frozen"-disc. One of the reasons I decided to buy some more Disney-shares [emoji4]

• Like 1

Disc sales for week ending August 21, 2016

source: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top-sellers/top-20-sellers-week-ended-082116

This Week's Rank Last Week's Rank Title Street Date Studio Genre Weeks on Chart  Box Office (millions) Blu-ray Share for Title Index* 3D%† UHD%††
1 New The Angry Birds Movie 8/16/16 Sony Pictures Animated 1 $107.45 57% 100.00 3%ˆ 3%ˆ
2 New God's Not Dead 2 8/16/16 Universal Drama 1 $20.77 39% 41.31 - -
3 1 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 7/19/16 Warner Action 5 $330.36 65% 36.22 7% 3%
4 3 Zootopia 6/7/16 Disney Animated 11 $341.27 46% 13.65 2% -
5 2 Batman: The Killing Joke 8/2/16 Warner Animated 3 $3.78 53% 11.99 - -
6 7 Miracles From Heaven 7/12/16 Sony Pictures Drama 6 $61.71 21% 9.30 - -
7 4 Deadpool 5/10/16 Fox Action 15 $363.07 43% 9.14 - 6%
8 8 Allegiant 7/12/16 Lionsgate/Summit Sci-Fi 6 $66.18 49% 7.54 - 4%
9 6 The Boss 7/26/16 Universal Comedy 4 $63.08 42% 6.88 - -
10 New God's Not Dead 1&2 8/16/16 Universal Drama 1 Re-release - 6.32 - -
11 New A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits 8/16/16 Warner Family 1 DTV - 5.95 - -
12 New Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fifth Season 8/16/16 Disney/ABC Fantasy 1 TV 24% 5.92   -
13 18 Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens 4/5/16 Disney/Lucasfilm Sci-Fi 20 $936.66 56% 5.76 - -
14 11 Paw Patrol: Sports Day 8/2/16 Paramount/Nickelodeon Animated 3 Cable - 5.62 - -
15 New Gotham: The Complete Second Season 8/16/16 Warner Drama 1 TV 39% 5.42 - -
16 9 Mother's Day 8/2/16 Universal Comedy 3 $32.49 32% 5.31 - -
17 16 Ghostbusters 3/14/06 Sony Pictures Comedy 11 Re-release 6% 5.00 - 2%
18 13 Kung Fu Panda 3 6/28/16 Fox/DreamWorks Animated 8 $143.53 45% 4.92 2%ˆˆ -
19 10 Keanu 8/2/16 Warner Comedy 3 $20.59 29% 4.81 - -
20 14 Barbershop: The Next Cut 7/26/16 Warner Comedy 4 $54.03 21% 4.76 - -

Source: NPD VideoScan First Alert, powered by Nielsen (based on unit sales from reporting retailers)

Does this mean that the movie night effect for BvS is gone? :P

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1