baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

Here's the list for just Blu-Ray sales.

Week Ended August 21, 2016

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top-sellers/top-20-selling-blu-ray-discs-week-ended-082116

Rank Previous Week Title Studio Index*
1 New The Angry Birds Movie Sony Pictures 100.00
2 1 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Warner 41.27
3 New God's Not Dead 2 Universal 28.10
4 2 Batman: The Killing Joke Warner 11.21
5 3 Zootopia Disney 10.98
6 6 Deadpool Fox 6.95
7 5 Allegiant Lionsgate/Summit 6.42
8 7 Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens Disney/Lucasfilm 5.63
9 4 The Boss Universal 5.00
10 10 Kung Fu Panda 3 Fox/DreamWorks 3.88
11 16 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi Paramount 3.74
12 New Gotham: The Complete Second Season Warner 3.72
13 14 Miracles From Heaven Sony Pictures 3.42
14 11 Criminal Lionsgate 3.24
15 13 Hardcore Henry Universal 3.10
16 15 The Bourne Classified Collection Universal 3.06
17 9 Mother's Day Universal 3.02
18 17 Gods of Egypt Lionsgate 2.70
19 New Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fifth Season Disney/ABC 2.47
20 12 Keanu Warner 2.45

Source: NPD VideoScan First Alert, powered by Nielsen (based on unit sales from reporting retailers)

Zootopia might see a huge bump in video sales during the Christmas season. Disney could try to play consumer confusion to its favor and push Zootopia's DVD and Blu-Ray while Universal is hawking Sing.

Plus, Moana has the tagline "From the makers of..."

New Published by the-numbers:

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales-chart/2016/06/19

United States DVD Sales Chart for Week Ending June 19, 2016

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Title Units this Week % Change Total Units Spending this Week Total Spending Weeks  
1 (1) Zootopia 353,342 -58% 1,184,982 $7,052,706 $23,652,241 2 Buy
2 (-) London Has Fallen 173,286   173,286 $2,689,399 $2,689,399 3 Buy
3 (4) Deadpool 81,240 +85% 1,262,421 $1,000,064 $18,662,356 8 Buy

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales-chart/2016/06/19

United States Combined DVD and Blu-ray Sales Chart for Week Ending June 19, 2016

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Rank Title Units this Week Total Units Spending this Week Total Spending Weeks  
1 Zootopia 701,498 2,794,708 $14,886,216 $56,691,920 2 Buy
2 London Has Fallen 399,222 399,222 $7,305,268 $7,305,268 3 Buy
3 Deadpool 234,422 3,900,828 $2,902,580 $69,962,312 8 Buy

Zootopia didn't quite match what I hoped for this week, but it's still pretty nice. It's now #3 on the yearly video chart, according to the-numbers.

The Holiday season is going to treat Zootopia well, for the reasons I said in my previous post.

Edited by cannastop

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the Numbers doesn't count digital sales I think and also doesn't count Walmart and some other places. I am not even sure if they count Amazon.  Most movies sales are underrepresented on The Numbers. 

It's based on NPD data, and Wal-Mart has agreed to share data with NPD.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/pr_120203/

In any case, I think they try to fill in the gaps of missing data.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

anyone know how well 4k Blu rays are selling?

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 08/21/16

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/top-sellers/top-20-sellers-week-ended-082116

4k Blu Ray is the UHD part.

Looks like a miniscule part of the market, with only a 3% share for most titles.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

With what I've learned about Disney's deal with netflix, and with the observation that Zootopia's DVD sales are sinking right now on amazon's rankings, I'm going to say that big packaged media sales are finished. People are already holding off purchases so that they can watch a movie on Netflix on September 20th. And it's going to be on Netflix for 18 months.

It's going to be the same for Disney's future movies as well. Disney's probably making money from this netflix deal, but the financial details aren't clear to outsiders.

Edited by cannastop

I'm glad Frozen was released before this Netflix deal, no way it would have sold as much if it had been on Netflix just 4 months after the video came out.

Netflix is killing the home video market.

Edited by Mojoguy

Looks like Zootopia is following The Lego Movie on the Blu Ray sales in terms of $, but it's currently 70% ahead in terms of units.  This means Lego Blu rays sold for 35 $ / unit while Zootopia is around 21 $ / unit.  On  the other hand, Lego's DVD were sold at 15 $ / unit while Zootopia are being sold at 20$ / unit on average according to The Numbers. 

While the sequel to TMNT has been very soft compared to the reboot, it has had an impact on the HV sales of the latter, pushing it from 95M$ in combined sales to 98M$ as of June 26th.  Should probably be enough to tip it over to 100M$ by the end of the year.   With 82M$ DOM in its theatrical release, a 3rd movie is unlikely though. 

19 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm glad Frozen was released before this Netflix deal, no way it would have sold as much if it had been on Netflix just 4 months after the video came out.

Netflix is killing the home video market.

Netflix isn't killing Disney, that's for sure, though.

Although this year will be the one where we really see how big of a dent Netflix makes.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

ZOO sales compared to 1st 2 weeks of Minions and IO:

ZOO after 2 weeks: 2.8 million copies (blu+dvd)

MINIONS after 2 weeks: 4 million copies sold (blu+dvd)

IO: 2.5 million copies sold (blu+dvd)

Source: THE NUMBERS

CC: @cannastop@Jason

Just note that Minions first two weeks were the last two weeks leading to Christmas.  It crashed 84-87% on its 4th week. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, langer said:

Just note that Minions first two weeks were the last two weeks leading to Christmas.  It crashed 84-87% on its 4th week. 

this - can't truly compare sales for a kiddie flick released right before Christmas on HV... lol

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

this - can't truly compare sales for a kiddie flick released right before Christmas on HV... lol

It is still the 2nd highest selling DVD of 2015. Holidays or not.

After Jurassic World.

Also most dvd sales crashed on Chrismtas week by 70-90%. Not just Minions.

Edited by MinaTakla

3 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

It is still the 2nd highest selling DVD of 2015. Holidays or not.

After Jurassic World.

Also most dvd sales crashed on Chrismtas week by 70-90%. Not just Minions.

Just saying that the week to week comparison will not work until the 4th week for Minions.  Inside Out also had Black Friday on its 4th week and Christmas boost on its 7th end 8th week.  Comparisons with these movies for total units after 10+ weeks makes sense while doing week-to-week will not show the true story because of the different release dates.  Chances are good that Zootopia will have a BF boost in November too, 5 months into its HV run.  I believe Zootopia will end up beating these two movies in terms of $. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, langer said:

Just saying that the week to week comparison will not work until the 4th week for Minions.  Inside Out also had Black Friday on its 4th week and Christmas boost on its 7th end 8th week.  Comparisons with these movies for total units after 10+ weeks makes sense while doing week-to-week will not show the true story because of the different release dates.  Chances are good that Zootopia will have a BF boost in November too, 5 months into its HV run.  I believe Zootopia will end up beating these two movies in terms of $. 

Even with Netflix streaming?

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Even with Netflix streaming?

I think so yeah, at least matching them.  Minions and IO are at 108-109M$ at the moment 6 months after their release, while Lego stands at 124M$, 2 years after its release.   Lego was at 105M$ 6 months into its release after both Black Friday and Christmas boosts.  Lego also received a BF boost in its 2nd year of release.  Zootopia is running slightly ahead of Lego on Blu Ray but has a 30%+ lead on DVD (64M$ combined for Zoo vs 57M$ for Lego after 3 weeks).  It should stay in the top 30 charts until BF and Christmas and I don't think competition (FD - SLOP) will hurt it too much.   Minions will receive a sequel boost next year with DM3.  Zootopia has to pass it before then. 

I believe Zootopia, IO and Minions will all be around 115M$ after Christmas. 

• Like 1