baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

They're not VOD first, they're electronic sell through. VOD is rental. Why that first?

Well, the margins are better I imagine that's why. They'd rather you buy it digitally.

I think you are right.

Without me.

What isn't do buy on disc (with preferable many extras, languages, subtitles...) I do not buy.

Many reasons incl. not liking giving anyone my 'prefered items buying pattern'....

When I was 13 I knew what a laserdisc was.

Stupid kids.

Technology is really going out of control, there s no turning back really.

I ve seen a documentary on South korea, the most connected country in the world with the fastest internet connections and Smamsung is already testing crazy Internet speed connections there, soon, you will be able to stream a movie with Snapshat live with a good quality ...

Technology is really going out of control, there s no turning back really.

I ve seen a documentary on South korea, the most connected country in the world with the fastest internet connections and Smamsung is already testing crazy Internet speed connections there, soon, you will be able to stream a movie with Snapshat live with a good quality ...

South Korea is way ahead of the curve.

I read they can stream 4k movies from the year 2028.

South Korea is way ahead of the curve.

I read they can stream 4k movies from the year 2028.

That documentary was fucking scary.

They are ALL glued to their smartphones, they barely look up in the streets or in the tube anymore.

And yeah they ve all already seen the 3 Avatar movies, it s all news to them.

Yep, looks like Frozen will be the last remnant of a dying era ...

While Frozen is very much on another level,  I wouldn't dismiss Despicable Me 2.  While DM2 stands at about 65% of what Frozen achieved, it still has generated double the sales of the 3rd and 4th movie (GotG and HG: CF)  since it was released...

This is bound to change as the 2015 movies will probably score better on HV compared to the 2014 movies. 

• Like 1

I know, but I think, see above, it got help a bit by F4 too = the buzz in the back of the mind/brain, seeing the DVD/Blu-Ray, remembering the buzz about cut out Rogue...  At that time F4 was just getting released, I am guessing the advertising for F4 hinted at X-Men too (I haven't seen it). I am also guessing the Rogue release was planed to be around F4s release

I also think some movies get a higher boosts based on if the earlier movie was for the general audience or more for genre fans.

If it was more for genre fans (or mostly known to genre fans at the time of release) it seems to get better DVD/Blu-Ray sells as sometimes even the probably even more successful in the cinema 2nd part, if that one got released to an aware of it audience.

As in, people who do not find someone to accompany them to the cinema will probably more likly buy later the DVD as one group of buyers and general audience who tried out the more buzzing / accepted 2nd part get curious about psrt 1 too.

Fox was doing a promotion with Best Buy - buy (a discounted) DOFP (Theatrical or Rogue) and get a free $8 ticket voucher to FF4.

• Like 1

The homevideo sales are in the absolute shitter. Interstellar made 30M with Bluray and DVD combined lmao. Kingsman just 24M. 

The home market is not particularly strong. The Age of Adaline is the biggest first-run release of the week, at least as far as physical releases are concerned. The Avengers: Age of Ultron is coming out on Video on Demand and it is bigger than all other releases combined.....

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/207760830-Home-Market-Releases-for-September-8th-2015

Don't forget that those numbers are neither DVD nor Blu-Ray sales...

I really hope someone gives them access to those details as well but I am afraid the distributors of digital sales will sit on the details very consistantly....

Fast & Furious 7 : the old titles were never great on HV, but this one was bigger than the previous movies.  Prediction : At least 115M$ in combined sales in its first year

It's time to look back at one of my predictions. 

Although the charts are not released yet, there was an article on IMDB mentioning that the last F&F movie generated about 55M$ in its first week, but that also includes digital sales.  HV sales are usually frontloaded with about 40-55% of  first year business crammed into the first week.  A 50M$ (guessing 5M$ digital) opening would put it on track to end up about 10M under  my prediction.  Although you never know if F&F will be featured during black Friday specials, but this should not make a huge difference (roughly 5M$). 

F&F should  pass Fifty Shades of Grey as the biggest 2015 theatrical movie on HV during its 2nd week.   Just a reminder that the last movie that reach 100M$ was GotG and the last movie to reach 200M and 300M was Frozen, while the last movie to reach 400M was Chronicles of Narnia back in 2006. 

• Like 1

I was looking at Furious 7 numbers...cause I read crowing about it breaking records and...

I honestly don't know what record it could've broken. It did well for...well, today. It did well. No doubt. But it still is...sign of the times. I mean even the second Narnia movie will have sold better than Furious 7 more than likely. And that's not the movies, that's just the market talking.

• Like 1

I think it broke Universal's best first week on HV (blu ray most likely), which was probably held by F&F 6 prior to that with either 35M$ or 1.7M units.

That only says to me either 1) someone is bullshitting or 2) Universal hasn't had a solid mega hit in over 15 years.

So...maybe?

• Like 1

That only says to me either 1) someone is bullshitting or 2) Universal hasn't had a solid mega hit in over 15 years.

So...maybe?

I think they meant only Blu Ray...maybe the article was BS also.  In the end, there is nothing groundbreaking about F&F 7's first week on HV...  It looks like it generated about 65% of what F&F 6 did on its first week.  I don't know if this was a Friday release while most DVD/BLu Rays are released on Tuesdays, which could explain the softer first week. 

• Like 1

From the 5 movies that earned more than 300M at the BO this year, F&F and Avengers will generate modest HV sales, while the two animated films and Jurassic World will rake significant $ in HV sales.  These 3 movies could all earn more than 200M$ in combined HV sales.  It's more than likely that JW wil get it,  Minions will get around 150M and Inside Out will get 175M. 

Don't expect Minions to reach the levels of DM1 and DM2, there's a very strong patterns in HV sales regarding sequels.  With very few exceptions,  the sequels usually don't outgross the original or the previous title.  Exceptions :  The Dark Knight,  Skyfall,  F&F 4, F&F 6, The Wolverine.

• Like 1