baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

On 15. 10. 2015 at 4:23 PM, langer said:

Yep looks like I overestimated the HV market of 2015.  I thought 2014 (aside form Frozen) and first half of 2015 was bad because we didn't have any animated mega blockbuster in 2014 as well as any live action mega blockbuster, but seeing F&F and Pitch Perfect 2 underperforming really shows a pattern. 

While I don't think F&F7 will be at 50M in 5-6 weeks (more like 60M), thanksgiving and Christmas should push it to 70-75M and then no more boost until FF8 comes out. 

All our hope lies with JW, Minions and Inside Out for the rest of the year. 

So Furious 7 is at  50.7M and didn't even make Top20 in both blu/dvd sales in that week ending November 22.

But you guys realize all of these titles were available on theblack market about 2 weeks into their run.  Why would anyone pay 15 bucks for a BR with no features on it, when they can download it for free?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

But you guys realize all of these titles were available on theblack market about 2 weeks into their run.  Why would anyone pay 15 bucks for a BR with no features on it, when they can download it for free?

Yep, the Internet killed home video.

12 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

SW7's upcoming performance in HV really is going to show either there's still hope for it, or just put a death stamp on it.

I think SW will do well but not Frozen-well. 160-180M is my prediction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

I know it's rare in the POV of some... but some people never download movies ...

But

1. I buy the ones with extras (mostly)

2. I do get a problem to find additional walls for new shelfs = thinking again about transfering at least the TV-Series... into DJ-trunks (with the space saving vinyl covers)

I am not happy with the HV disc part development too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

I think we all knew the market has been in decline, but we were still hoping for a steady and slow decline, not the steep crash we are seeing now.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2015 at 8:00 AM, Cochofles said:

Hocus Pocus ??? Wow. It truly has become a Halloween tradition, hasn't it? I

I believe Disney has been pushing it.  They had a HP show at their Halloween party this year at WDW.  We bought a copy.

17 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

I do.

16 hours ago, bapi said:

I think SW will do well but not Frozen-well. 160-180M is my prediction.

SW will have the advantage of people that already have all the other DVDs and want to keep their collection complete even if they can stream it.

I can't believe how many copies of SWs I've bought in the different medias...

VHS original, VHS new, LaserDisk, DVD, Blu-Ray

• Like 2

The Numbers is about the resource we have for home video sale of unit but it's numbers are still dubious especially concerning the $ amount.

For some reason JW's first week of Blu Ray & DVD sales , BR were averaged at $28 even though they were selling for the same $19.99 per Blu ray at Amazon et al as most every other major release.  They did the same for Mad Max.

For the week of  Nov 29th they have Blu-Ray sales averaging $20+ for several films when the enormous jumps in sales were because of Black Friday sales where they were all under $10 with some even under $5.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales-chart/2015/11/29

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The Numbers is about the resource we have for home video sale of unit but it's numbers are still dubious especially concerning the $ amount.

For some reason JW's first week of Blu Ray & DVD sales , BR were averaged at $28 even though they were selling for the same $19.99 per Blu ray at Amazon et al as most every other major release.  They did the same for Mad Max.

For the week of  Nov 29th they have Blu-Ray sales averaging $20+ for several films when the enormous jumps in sales were because of Black Friday sales where they were all under $10 with some even under $5.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales-chart/2015/11/29

Hmm I haven't folloved HV for a while. One of the reasons is, if they release more or less new releases (new to us on their lists) it starts too often high and then gets repeatedly down over the next few months till it stabelizes.

Sometimes it needs 2 months till it reached via sales the old numbers.

Maybe they start with the 'official' price.... till they get more details?

• Like 1