baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I see that Minions has made more money than Inside Out. So much for original movies having the advantage.

They are basically neck and neck.  The Despicable Me franchise is also a beast on HV. 

1 minute ago, langer said:

They are basically neck and neck.  The Despicable Me franchise is also a beast on HV. 

Oh yeah. The original Despicable was original as fuck.

Animated movies are the only blockbusters that aren't based on previously released material, really.

55 minutes ago, Giesi said:

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

TFA debuts with almost 3mio Blurays sold.

3rd biggest first week, only behind Frozen and Avengers in terms of units, 2nd in $ behind Frozen!

According to >HomeMediaMagazine, TFA had a BR market share of 74%, so should have sold around 4M of phisical discs in first week of release. This confirm that Frozen (7,2M in first week, almost 20M now) have been the last great home video seller, at least in phisical.

It's pretty much guaranteed to end up #1 all time on Blu Ray by the end of the year.  Feels good to see a big opener like that on HV.  Question is: will it be the first movie to  reach 200M$ on Blu Ray?  I think so, but nothing is guaranteed with sequels coming up for both Frozen and Avatar. 

• Like 1

So TFA opened to 85M$ on HV (74M$ BR, 11M$ DVD). 

The rule of thumb is that a movie (that is released on a Tuesday) will gross roughly between 2X and 2,5X its first week during its first year on HV.  This means TFA should end up with 170M$ by that time next year.  The main difference with other movies is that TFA will most likely get a "sequel" bump next Christmas and next April when Rogue One gets both its theatrical and HV release while most movies tend to receive those bumps 2 to 3 years after hitting the home market.

My projection is that TFA will be just under 200M combined by that time next year and will become the first movie to reach 200M$ combined since Frozen and DM2 and the first live action movie since The Avengers and The Hunger Games. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, langer said:

So TFA opened to 85M$ on HV (74M$ BR, 11M$ DVD). 

The rule of thumb is that a movie (that is released on a Tuesday) will gross roughly between 2X and 2,5X its first week during its first year on HV.  This means TFA should end up with 170M$ by that time next year.  The main difference with other movies is that TFA will most likely get a "sequel" bump next Christmas and next April when Rogue One gets both its theatrical and HV release while most movies tend to receive those bumps 2 to 3 years after hitting the home market.

My projection is that TFA will be just under 200M combined by that time next year and will become the first movie to reach 200M$ combined since Frozen and DM2 and the first live action movie since The Avengers and The Hunger Games. 

Any infos about the digital release? Its On Demand sales must have cut off the HV sales, kinda depressing numbers, both DVD and Bluray.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giesi said:

Any infos about the digital release? Its On Demand sales must have cut off the HV sales, kinda depressing numbers, both DVD and Bluray.

I'm sure there are articles you can find online about digital sales.  The-Numbers doesn't track these though.  Depressing numbers if you look at past years, but certainly in line with the current market. 

20 million units sold (Bluray+DVD) seems to be the ceiling for home video releases nowadays. Frozen has hit 20 million units, while Avatar is at 19 million sold.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/star-wars-the-force-awakens-dvd-blu-ray.html

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

20 million units sold (Bluray+DVD) seems to be the ceiling for home video releases nowadays. Frozen has hit 20 million units, while Avatar is at 19 million sold.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/star-wars-the-force-awakens-dvd-blu-ray.html

Yep, only TDK and Cars seem to have sold more in the last 10 years. 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:22 AM, langer said:

- Spectre is at 32M at the moment and should also leave the top 30 with about 37-38M.  Will reach 40M in its first year, but most likely won't reach 50M unless it gets some special deals.

- The Good Dinosaur is at 44M at the moment and still selling strong.  50M is locked for this. 

Spectre was far more successful at the box office so looks like TGD is out-performing its theatrical gross a bit in home sales (not that this is saying much, LOL). So that will lessen the bath Disney/Pixar took on it, I guess.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 10:27 AM, narniadis said:

Or for those of us who followed HV Sales during DVD's heyday (2002-2008) I mean look at the sales for 2006 & 2007... Shows that Pirates really was a beast on HV even if the Theatrical (#3) fell substantially

Yes, FWIW, here are the total domestic video sales for the big 2007 movies:

1) Pirates ... At World's End ........ $318m

2) Transformers ....................... $302m

3) Shrek 3 .............................. $176m

4) Spiderman 3 ........................ $125m

IIRC, "Pirates" had the lowest DOM box office gross but sheesh look at those home video numbers (and at the time, Blu-Ray/HD-DVD were in their infancy so these numbers are almost entirely from DVD).

What we need are some accurate numbers on Digital/Streaming sales so we can compare current films to films of the past. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1