baumer

How HV sales used to turn big box office hits into massive box office GIANTS

2 hours ago, KingoftheWorld said:

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2016

The Force Awakens had now made $100+ million in domestic HV sales.

To put that in perspective among other big movies from last year, Jurassic World has made about $124m, Ultron $73m, Furious 7 has made $63m, Inside Out $105m, and Minions has made $107m.

We really need some entity to start tracking digital sales and rentals. 

• Like 2

Following up on some of the comments about older HV sales -- IIRC, BATMAN 89 was one of the first (if not the first) titles to be priced to sell (ie, $20-25 or so) for its initial HV video. It also hit the HV market sooner than was traditional -- the beginning of the theatrical window shrinking. Up to that point, VHS titles were priced at $90-120 or so during an intial (and lengthy) window that could be a year or more; only after that period were they priced lower.

The concept of the "collector's market" was fairly small early on and that's how laserdisc carved out its niche: better quality, priced to own, original aspect ratio, and with special features. (Though of course some SEs on laser could cost up to $125). But it was exceedingly hard to find stores that rented laserdiscs, especially if you weren't in a major metropolitan area.

• Like 4

The home video market was so big in the 90's Disney used to put out sequels of their hits on home video only.

Lion King had a home video sequel.

Toy Story was supposed to be a HV sequel but Lasseter said fuck no and saved the movie from being a disater and killing the toy story brand.

Do you see Disney doing this for Frozen or Zootopia today ?

Don't think so.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The home video market was so big in the 90's Disney used to put out sequels of their hits on home video only.

Toy Story was supposed to be a HV sequel but Lasseter said fuck no and saved the movie from being a disater and killing the toy story brand.

Do you see Disney doing this for Frozen or Zootopia today ?

Don't think so.

And they were of inferior quality.

Thank goodness we don't see that shit anymore.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

They made "LK2: Simba's Pride" on the cheap, with TV-level animation and sound, and yet it sold over 15 million copies and generated more than $450 million in HV rentals and sales. Profits must have been insane.  

But FWIW, LK2 was released theatrically in Europe and Latin America. 

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Disney still makes a lot of knock-off straight-to-video stuff. It's just not advertised or marketed heavily. 

Theres that Marvel shit, but Tinkerbell is dead so...not much really.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Yeah, but wasn't the last TINKER BELL last year or so? Feels like they had like 4 of them from the late 00s until recently. 

They were churning out those Tinkerbell movies one a year...I think there's 5 of them.  But that's over.  That studio is done with direct to video/VOD movies for now.  Granted, the last few Tinkerbell movies did go theatrical internationally.

• Like 2

There is nothing more useless when it comes to HV sales than an article that just mentions shares. I guess the fact that sales aren't anywhere near what they used to be has led to the people in charge prefering to just mention vague shares that really tell you nothing at all while very much sounding impressive.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

There is nothing more useless when it comes to HV sales than an article that just mentions shares. I guess the fact that sales aren't anywhere near what they used to be has led to the people in charge prefering to just mention vague shares that really tell you nothing at all while very much sounding impressive.

Physical video is a downward trending market, can't help the numbers are rarely that impressive.  Unless it's Frozen.  

Man the complete bottom line of the Lion King brand must be batshit crazy.

I really wonder how much money Disney made from that IP alone, it must be insane ...

It s probably the movie that allowed them to become the giant that we know today unless there was a mega fusion with another media conglomerate I don't know about.

I am still not sure how Disney acquired ABC & ESPN and others ...

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Man the complete bottom line of the Lion King brand must be batshit crazy.

I really wonder how much money Disney made from that IP alone, it must be insane ...

It s probably the movie that allowed them to become the giant that we know today unless there was a mega fusion with another media conglomerate I don't know about.

I am still not sure how Disney acquired ABC & ESPN and others ...

That was the Capital Cities deal in 1996. I guess The Lion King actually did provide some of the resources for the deal, but keep in mind that theme parks were most likely Disney's biggest business at the time.

• Like 2