baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

Dismissing all Disney movies is borederline fascist IMO.

Joseph Goebbels probably agreed with Tele on Disney movies.

But this is Tele we're talking about here, so I don't think it was any surprise.

• Like 1

I already did TDK... it's down in the lower teens somewhere.

Well then... Pulp Fiction #2 and ....

1. Lawrence of Arabia 

640px-Lawrence_of_arabia_ver3_xxlg.jpg

The fault seems to lie, first in the concept of telling the story of this self-tortured man against a background of action that has the characteristic of a mammoth Western film. The nature of Lawrence cannot be captured in grand Super-Panavision shots of sunrise on the desert or in scenes of him arguing with a shrewd old British general in a massive Moorish hall.

The fault is also in the lengthy but surprisingly lusterless dialogue of Robert Bolt's over-written screenplay. Seldom has so little been said in so many words.

There are some great things in the picture—which runs, incidentally, for 3 hours and 40 minutes, not counting intermission. There is some magnificent scenery, barbaric fights, a mirage in the desert that is superb (the one episode in the picture that conveys a sense of mystery). And there are some impressive presentations of historic characters.

It is, in the last analysis, just a hugo, thundering camel-opera that tends to run down rather badly as it rolls on into its third hour and gets involved with sullen disillusion and political deceit.

-------------------

List done... I can now go have a beer or 3

Edited by AndyLL
  • Like 9

UP has one of the greatest 1st Acts of all time however it was pretty average after that.  However not sure it belongs in this list... not with films like Pulp Fiction and TDK left.

Pulp Fiction is alright. The Dark Knight is great and no one can claim otherwise (I'm going full Ethan on that one).

I actually found Up to be average from start to finish.

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

Runner-up:

Could it be PULP FICTION?

No. But close...

2. Inglourious Basterds

inglourious_basterds_ver14.jpg

Basically, Tarantino at his most self-indulgent. There are certainly a couple of scenes that are very well done (it is Tarantino, after all), but they're surrounded by a giant pile of shit. Smug, self-aware, preening, this is a giant mess of a movie, boosted to high recognition by the swarms of Tarantino devotees.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Well then... Pulp Fiction #2 and ....

1. Lawrence of Arabia 

640px-Lawrence_of_arabia_ver3_xxlg.jpg

The fault seems to lie, first in the concept of telling the story of this self-tortured man against a background of action that has the characteristic of a mammoth Western film. The nature of Lawrence cannot be captured in grand Super-Panavision shots of sunrise on the desert or in scenes of him arguing with a shrewd old British general in a massive Moorish hall.

The fault is also in the lengthy but surprisingly lusterless dialogue of Robert Bolt's over-written screenplay. Seldom has so little been said in so many words.

There are some great things in the picture—which runs, incidentally, for 3 hours and 40 minutes, not counting intermission. There is some magnificent scenery, barbaric fights, a mirage in the desert that is superb (the one episode in the picture that conveys a sense of mystery). And there are some impressive presentations of historic characters.

It is, in the last analysis, just a hugo, thundering camel-opera that tends to run down rather badly as it rolls on into its third hour and gets involved with sullen disillusion and political deceit.

-------------------

List done... I can now go have a beer or 3

tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

• Like 2

Which begs a terrifying question, what movies Tele liked growing up ???

Hard to say. I'm pretty sure the concept of movies hadn't even been invented yet in his childhood.

• Like 3

Runner-up:

Could it be PULP FICTION?

No. But close...

2. Inglourious Basterds

inglourious_basterds_ver14.jpg

Basically, Tarantino at his most self-indulgent. There are certainly a couple of scenes that are very well done (it is Tarantino, after all), but they're surrounded by a giant pile of shit. Smug, self-aware, preening, this is a giant mess of a movie, boosted to high recognition by the swarms of Tarantino devotees.

Oh, so you chickened out :P

• Like 1

Forrest Gump... Why do you do this to me Tele !?

But he's right. It is basically a love letter to Baby Boomers. The great parts of the film could probably be trimmed down enough that you could fit it into a half hour spot on TV... with commercial breaks.

It's actually a bit funny, but almost all Hanks films fall into these Boomer archetypes. You've got Gump, which waxes poetic about how wonderful things were when Boomers were growing up. And CastAway, which says pretty definitively that you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps no matter how bad the world seems. Or Saving Private Ryan, which is basically about Boomers saying how great their parents were.

• Like 1

disney movies are borderline fascist IMO

(i mean seriously, look at pinocchio!)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The fuck you talking about?

• Like 2

5. It's a Wonderful Life

17960.jpg

I tend to not like schmaltz, so maybe this isn't that big of a surprise. This one has so much syrupy corn you could get diabetes just watching it. Capra's much better when he's not trying to push a theme. As Samuel Goldwyn said, "Pictures were made to entertain. If you want to send a message, call Western Union." Give me IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT any day of the week.

Smartest choice

• Like 2