Blankments

Blank's 14 Movies of 2014 That Would've Been Better Off Released As Blank Film Cartridges

Sorry Blanks, didn't see your reply above Kirk Cameron.

It's about a man who has visions and wants to protect his family. It's your choice whether to believe him or not, and how you judge the consequences. Whenever you encounter a film involving schizophrenia, you can draw religious connotations - but Take Shelter particularly reminded me of a man named Noah. I really don't think it's a coincidence that they chose to use a storm (flood) in the film.

I'd argue with you, but I have a certain list coming up soon where I'll get into my thoughts on Take Shelter :)

Speaking of which, next post will continue this show.

MPPGjyr.png

Ughhhh. I got such a headache watching this movie. Yes, I’m aware it’s a stylistic sci-fi movie but it just did not work for me at all. There’s little rhyme and reason to go with shot progression in this movie, and it seems as though it’s just made to look “cool.” That’s fine and dandy in student films, but in a movie like this, I’d prefer for it to be a bit more cohesive. Honestly, originally this was gonna be my #2 worst of the year, but I’ve cooled down on it since my initial watch, but I still can’t stand it at all. The thing makes it not so bad is that Eisenberg’s acting is pretty good, and more importantly, the central theme of the movie is strong, taking from Perks of Being of Wallflower’s “We accept the love we think we deserve.” Unfortunately, the direction of this movie is so obnoxious, along with a cutesy script that thinks it’s cleverer than it actually is. I also couldn’t stand Mia Wasichowski’s character in this. She’s the type of character that if she was in a big budget Hollywood movie, every blogger would be complaining about it but since it’s indie, they can get away with it. To be fair though, nearly every character in this movie is unlikable. Eisenberg is either an obnoxiously pathetic wimp or an asshole who crosses way too many boundaries. The waitress should’ve been fired years ago for being such an awful person to her customer. Wallace Shawn (it was nice to see him in a movie, I’ll admit) is annoyingly ignorant. Peter Russo’s mom, playing Eisenberg’s mom, is someone who you’re happy when she dies. The only person who isn’t annoying in this movie is Chris O’Dowd, who has maybe two lines. Everything about this movie is bad, bad, bad. The only reason it’s this low on my list is thanks to the theme of the movie ultimately hitting me in a positive manner a few days after seeing it. Still, avoid this movie like the plague.

• Like 3

I kind of want to see The Double. I like Jesse Eisenberg and love Ayoade, who is a brilliantly funny and intelligent guy, though I haven't seen any of his films yet.

The film seemed very limited and contained, it didn't appeal to me, so I didn't watch it. I had a feeling it might show up on this list, blanks. :)

• Like 1

Wel89JR.jpg

Why, Spaghetti, why? You may have ruined my life by making me watch this movie. Okay, maybe that’s a gross overstatement, but still. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about The Nut Job. It is a painfully mediocre film that gave me a massive headache and tried to figure out why, just why, it was made. The answer is money, dear boy, but how this got the money it made, I’ll have no idea. There’s nothing original about this movie. The character designs are blatantly stolen from either Over the Hedge or Ratatouille. The climax takes pieces from each separate Toy Story movie and smushes it together in an awful mishmash. There’s a bizarre subplot involving gangsters stealing nuts. There’s a fucking ridiculous amount of testicle jokes in an animated movie. Will Arnett’s character is grating and at the end, where it appears as though he dies, you wish he did die. I can’t even rant about this movie. The Nut Job’s main problem is that there’s nothing to comment on, there’s nothing funny about it, and there’s no point to the movie. If there was an entry for “aggressively mediocre” in the dictionary, The Nut Job would be right next to it.

• Like 7

Wel89JR.jpg

Why, Spaghetti, why? You may have ruined my life by making me watch this movie. Okay, maybe that’s a gross overstatement, but still. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about The Nut Job. It is a painfully mediocre film that gave me a massive headache and tried to figure out why, just why, it was made. The answer is money, dear boy, but how this got the money it made, I’ll have no idea. There’s nothing original about this movie. The character designs are blatantly stolen from either Over the Hedge or Ratatouille. The climax takes pieces from each separate Toy Story movie and smushes it together in an awful mishmash. There’s a bizarre subplot involving gangsters stealing nuts. There’s a fucking ridiculous amount of testicle jokes in an animated movie. Will Arnett’s character is grating and at the end, where it appears as though he dies, you wish he did die. I can’t even rant about this movie. The Nut Job’s main problem is that there’s nothing to comment on, there’s nothing funny about it, and there’s no point to the movie. If there was an entry for “aggressively mediocre” in the dictionary, The Nut Job would be right next to it.

Another reason I hate this movie is because it strained our friendship. :(

• Like 1

Another reason I hate this movie is because it strained our friendship. :(

I'm just happy I ditched the Movie 43 watch, because based on what I've heard from that movie, it would've annihilated my friendship with Fancyarcher.

(Am I the only one picked a universally liked movie to riff in that club? LOL)

• Like 1

2QudWGS.png

This is the second Woody Allen movie after Blue Jasmine, which I actually enjoyed. However, with this movie I realized something about Allen. Most of his films are actually great play scripts. The issue comes with the film medium as his scripts are dialogue driven in a way that works in the theater but in a film is incredibly dull. I saw Magic in the Moonlight with a friend that actually threw popcorn at the screen in boredom, and honestly, I don’t blame him. The Firth/Stone romance is the definition of creepy and it’s hard to imagine anyone actually finding them cute together. But as already mentioned, this movie is incredibly boring. While watching it, I wondered what inspired Woody Allen to shoot the film. The dialogue is clever at points but absolutely nothing cinematic happens in this movie, and there’s no inspired direction at all. Firth is at least enjoyable simply because he’s Colin Firth but everything else in this movie serves simply as a lullaby to sleep. I guess sleeping can qualify as Magic in the Moonlight, right?

• Like 2

Wel89JR.jpg

This brings back painful memories.

Specifically animated PSY. *shudders*

• Like 1

2QudWGS.png

This is the second Woody Allen movie after Blue Jasmine, which I actually enjoyed. However, with this movie I realized something about Allen. Most of his films are actually great play scripts. The issue comes with the film medium as his scripts are dialogue driven in a way that works in the theater but in a film is incredibly dull. I saw Magic in the Moonlight with a friend that actually threw popcorn at the screen in boredom, and honestly, I don’t blame him. The Firth/Stone romance is the definition of creepy and it’s hard to imagine anyone actually finding them cute together. But as already mentioned, this movie is incredibly boring. While watching it, I wondered what inspired Woody Allen to shoot the film. The dialogue is clever at points but absolutely nothing cinematic happens in this movie, and there’s no inspired direction at all. Firth is at least enjoyable simply because he’s Colin Firth but everything else in this movie serves simply as a lullaby to sleep. I guess sleeping can qualify as Magic in the Moonlight, right?

Well, if you know Woody Allen s private life, the Firth /Stone couple is "normal" for him. Nothing creepy about it.

• Like 1

Wel89JR.jpg

The Nut Job has good animation for 1998. I could also probably think up better jokes on the top of my head then this film.Wat

Watching The Nut Job was definitely not a pleasant experience.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I'll split the difference. I thought Obvious Child was good but uneven. About a B- for me.

I liked the main character and thought the incipient romance was charming and believable when so few are in romantic movies or romantic comedies - EXCEPT - there's no way I'd ever be with anyone who trotted out very personal and intimate aspects of our relationship in a stand up routine - especially one that wasn't funny!  I really liked her relationship with her mother and I thought the handling of abortion was realistic, treated as a valid choice and medical procedure without being dismissed as easy.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

You've only see two Woody Allen movies?  There's much better out there than this and yes Blue Jasmine.

• Like 1

You've only see two Woody Allen movies?  There's much better out there than this and yes Blue Jasmine.

I've been meaning to get into more because I do like his scripts; it's just hard to find the time to devote a month to just Woody Allen

Top three will be posted today but in very odd chunks. First one in next post