The Stingray

Sicario | From Director Denis Villeneuve | Blunt, Brolin, Del Toro | September 18 (Limited); October 2 (Wide)

Sicario makes you feel what Kate feels, better than almost any film I've seen,  I can't think of one better right now but then again, Sicario is fresh in my mind.  But she is thrust into a world of confusion and she is way out of her element.  Del Toro is brilliant as always and Brolin gives without a doubt his best performance.  Even Jon Bernthal's time on screen is terrific.  Villeneuve is here to stay and he might win best director this year.  And for the love of cinema can someone just give Deakins his freakin Oscar now?

• Like 2

Trust me, the trailer shows you nothing.

You are right. I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Easily one of the best films of the year. Tense, suspenseful, beautifully shot, with three excellent performances. And with a lot of things to say about drug trafficing. Things that many people don't want to hear and movies usually don't want to show.

I completely agree with your review.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that one song from the soundtrack ("The Beast") is a plagiarism of the soundtrack of the Tripods in Spielbergs "War of the Worlds"?

You can find the song on Spotify.

Here is the sound of the tripods for comparison:

https://youtu.be/6m-rsgHEDLk

A great saying: "Good composers borrow, great composers steal." Listen to The Planets by Holst. Williams stole from that for Star Wars.
  • Like 1

A great saying: "Good composers borrow, great composers steal." Listen to The Planets by Holst. Williams stole from that for Star Wars.

Can you, please, be more specific. I don't want to be dragged through the whole symphony. Not tonight at least. I'm a bit drunk, and I am more in Village People mood. 

It isn't a symphony. It is a suite. ;)

Williams took a lot of inspiration from Mars I think.

Well the first few notes from "Darth Vader's Death" in ROTJ are essentially the same first notes from The Planets: Uranus

And the beginning of his Jaws theme steals the opening notes of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OBf8f55tU

But Zimmer's main action beat for Gladiator is essentially a remix of The Planets: Mars

Well the first few notes from "Darth Vader's Death" in ROTJ are essentially the same first notes from The Planets: Uranus

And the beginning of his Jaws theme steals the opening notes of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OBf8f55tU

But Zimmer's main action beat for Gladiator is essentially a remix of The Planets: Mars

Yes, used to bring out the theme of war during the first battle.

Very nice touch

I thought Sicario was excellent. I did think Emily Blunt's character got a bit lost in the shuffle in the last third of the film and some of the individual elements could have been a bit more compelling, but it had several incredibly masterful sequences and the acting was stellar across the board - Benicio and Brolin are at the top of their game. Also the sequence where they enter Juarez is one of the best shot scenes that I can remember recently. Deakin's work was really incredible in this. After watching Prisoners and Enemy, I think Denis Villeneuve is one of the most talented directors working today. 

• Like 3