Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

Mad Max as a "blockbuster" feels a little generous. And the perceived lack of forth coming awards attention only signifies a difference of opinion with critics circles (who probably won't award the movie anyway) more so than the audience at large.

I think the critics groups will still be all over Mad Max by the time awards season rolls around (and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them awarded Miller for Best Director), so at the very least it'll be in the conversation. Inside Out is much more Academy-friendly though.

• Like 6

The Academy would never go for Mad Max. It wouldn't even make it into a field of 25 BP noms with them.

Huh?

Bridge of Spies

The Martian 

The Walk

The Danish Girl 

Suffragette

Adam Jones

Inside Out

The Hateful Eight

The Revenant

Trumbo

In the Heart of the Sea 

Joy 

Dope 

Ricki and the Flash

Straight Outta Compton 

Steve Jobs

Demolition 

Genius

Sicario

Black Mass

There's 20. I can't think of 4 more this year that would get a BP nod before it. 

21st would be my guess. Unless Good Dinosaur, Spectre, Trainwreck and another fall release end up being phenomenal. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

I think Inside Out is going to score big at the academy.  If any animated film can win, it can. 

Categories it deserves a nom for

Best Picture

Best Director

Best Original Screenplay

Best Animated Feature

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Original Score

Best Original Song (Tripledent Gum)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

I think Inside Out is going to score big at the academy.  If any animated film can win, it can. 

Categories it deserves a nom for

Best Picture

Best Director

Best Original Screenplay

Best Animated Feature

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Original Score

Best Original Song (Tripledent Gum)

If Inside Out had been Pixar's November release and Disney gave this an epic Oscar push, I'd agree. But since this is a summer release, it'll take a beyond-epic Oscar push to make Best Picture or Best Director happen. Especially when Disney is likely only going to push Bridge of Spies this year. I could see a Best Picture nod if most of the Oscar bait underwhelms or if Bridge of Spies gets mixed reception. 

I do think both Sound categories, Score, Original Screenplay and BAF are locks. With wins for BAF and Score near-locks. Original Screenplay is also very possible if the Academy doesn't want to give Tarantino a 3rd Oscar yet or if O'Russell doesn't impress. 

Current Predictions:

BRIDGE OF SPIES - If it's even half as good as Lincoln, the Academy is going to savor it. The Coens writing the script certainly has to help, even if Unbroken felt like a case of too many cooks.

CAROL - Early reviews so far have been stellar, plus The Weinstein Company makes this already a sure thing. It's practically tailor made for the Academy. The real question is if mainstream audiences end up embracing it.

THE DANISH GIRL - Pretty typical Academy fare. Eddie Redmayne probably won't get a second Oscar so soon, though.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT - The Academy will likely want to recognize the final installment to Tarantino's period vengeance trilogy.

INSIDE OUT - I think this is ultimately going to be more academy friendly than The Good Dinosaur, and reviews are strong enough to match its ambitious concept. I think it's in good shape, even if The Good Dinosaur is just as strong. Ideally both films can get in, but I think at the moment, this is Pixar's safest bet.

JOY - DOR + JLaw is already a winning combination, but it may prove too similar to American Hustle in terms of style. Hopefully DOR knows what he is doing, but getting the co-writer of Bridesmaids may be a point in its favor.

THE REVENANT - Inarritu having just won won't mean a whole lot of love is inherently coming here, but it could be a very promising film, and another chance for Leo to get his Oscar.

STEVE JOBS - Boyle has been pretty successful here outside of Trance, while Sorkin and Fassbender always deliver. The presence of an earlier Jobs film may hurt it, but I think it is in the clear at the moment.

TRUMBO - A topic about movies, Bryan Cranston being a fantastic actor, and more powerful actors and actresses give this a lot going for it, but the relatively less exciting crew and the still meager size of Bleecker Street are signs of an uphill battle.

• Like 3

Current Predictions:

BRIDGE OF SPIES - If it's even half as good as Lincoln, the Academy is going to savor it. The Coens writing the script certainly has to help, even if Unbroken felt like a case of too many cooks.

CAROL - Early reviews so far have been stellar, plus The Weinstein Company makes this already a sure thing. It's practically tailor made for the Academy. The real question is if mainstream audiences end up embracing it.

THE DANISH GIRL - Pretty typical Academy fare. Eddie Redmayne probably won't get a second Oscar so soon, though.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT - The Academy will likely want to recognize the final installment to Tarantino's period vengeance trilogy.

INSIDE OUT - I think this is ultimately going to be more academy friendly than The Good Dinosaur, and reviews are strong enough to match its ambitious concept. I think it's in good shape, even if The Good Dinosaur is just as strong. Ideally both films can get in, but I think at the moment, this is Pixar's safest bet.

JOY - DOR + JLaw is already a winning combination, but it may prove too similar to American Hustle in terms of style. Hopefully DOR knows what he is doing, but getting the co-writer of Bridesmaids may be a point in its favor.

THE REVENANT - Inarritu having just won won't mean a whole lot of love is inherently coming here, but it could be a very promising film, and another chance for Leo to get his Oscar.

STEVE JOBS - Boyle has been pretty successful here outside of Trance, while Sorkin and Fassbender always deliver. The presence of an earlier Jobs film may hurt it, but I think it is in the clear at the moment.

TRUMBO - A topic about movies, Bryan Cranston being a fantastic actor, and more powerful actors and actresses give this a lot going for it, but the relatively less exciting crew and the still meager size of Bleecker Street are signs of an uphill battle.

I think the only possible contenders are Steve Jobs, Bridge of Spies and Hateful Eight.

Is IO part of Hollywood awards?

• Like 1

I think the only possible contenders are Steve Jobs, Bridge of Spies and Hateful Eight.

What do you mean part of Hollywood awards? it's a movie that was released in theaters in the us in 2015. so of course it is (well could be) also those Spaghetti predictions seem like fair bets to me. 

Yes. And if Good Dinosaur is Pixar's ode to John Ford like Jim Hill and a few others have hinted from a preview, it might make a run for BP, too. I'd love to see one of the two Pixar films nominated for BP (maybe both if the Oscar bait is just that bad this year...) 

Unlike Fury Road, Pixar is very Academy friendly, so any critically acclaimed film of theirs has a shot at Oscar gold (not so much BP, but Score, Song, Sound Mixing/Editing, Screenplay, BAF and possibly Art Design for Good Dinosaur due to the photorealistic backgrounds all seem possible. 

• Like 1

Huh?

Bridge of Spies

The Martian 

The Walk

The Danish Girl 

Suffragette

Adam Jones

Inside Out

The Hateful Eight

The Revenant

Trumbo

In the Heart of the Sea 

Joy 

Dope 

Ricki and the Flash

Straight Outta Compton 

Steve Jobs

Demolition 

Genius

Sicario

Black Mass

There's 20. I can't think of 4 more this year that would get a BP nod before it. 

21st would be my guess. Unless Good Dinosaur, Spectre, Trainwreck and another fall release end up being phenomenal.

Don't forget Southpaw and MacBeth. And...

The Force Awakens

• Like 1

I think the best picture should belong to a big budget movie, not low budgets like Birdman, Boyhood, Budapest Hotel and Whiplash.

You mean bland, merely 'decent' Oscar bait like Imitation Game/Theory of Everything, right? 

Because if so, I agree. GotG and LEGO were far more Oscar-worthy than either of those, or American Sniper (to show that I'm against bland blockbusters getting nods). The 4 you mentioned are inventive enough to where they definitely deserve their nominations, though. 

However, if Nightcrawler or Princess Kaguya had been nominated in place of Imitation Game/Theory, I wouldn't be upset. Just because something didn't make a ton of money doesn't make it bad. The same goes for blockbusters. 

It's not great Oscar bait getting nominated that upsets people. It's when by-the-numbers Oscar bait beats a more blockbustery, but brilliantly made film (American Beauty beating Toy Story 2/Matrix, Chariots of Fire beating Raiders, King's Speech beating TS3/Inception, Shakespeare beating SPR, Slumdog beating WALL-E/TDK, etc). 

But it also works in reverse (Gladiator beating Requiem/Amores Perros, Titanic beating L.A. Confidential/Ice Storm/Funny Games, Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction/Shawshank, Dances With Wolves beating Goodfellas, Rocky beating Network/Taxi Driver/All the President's Men, etc) 

Edited by mahnamahna