LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

It's a sprawling 3 hour crime epic.

Peter doesn't even show up for the first hour.

The climax is a gun battle on the streets that culminates with the robber shooting Uncle Ben.

LOLOLOL

I shouldn't laugh because I cry every time Uncle Ben dies. But just thinking about them re-hashing that in another re-boot made me chuckle.

• Like 3

I'm happy this weekend is turning out to be big, because Mortdecai, Strange Magic and The Boy Next Door are next weekend, don't think a single one of them will crack 15M opening.

TBND will open over 15M.

• Like 2

I'm happy this weekend is turning out to be big, because Mortdecai, Strange Magic and The Boy Next Door are next weekend, don't think a single one of them will crack 15M opening.

TBND will open over 15M.

It could, we'll see how much of a fanbase that JLO has because that shit looks terrible. 

• Like 1

By the way, with an estimated (and this is the floor at this point) $60M opening weekend, that would make American Sniper the sixth biggest launch ever for a Best Picture nominee (behind Toy Story 3, Avatar, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Up, and Inception). That is straight up bananas.

• Like 5

By the way, with an estimated (and this is the floor at this point) $60M opening weekend, that would make American Sniper the sixth biggest launch ever for a Best Picture nominee (behind Toy Story 3, Avatar, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Up, and Inception). That is straight up bananas.

If it gets 60M, it would outgross ALL the other movies nominated for Best Picture this year within its first 4 days.

• Like 2

I agree. I don't know how there's people still thinking $50-55 million OW. $5.3 million in previews would make this far too front-loaded for a BP nominee. $60-75 million is the range for the 3-day. Would love to see a monster opening like that to revive the BO a bit. It's extremely unpredictable at this point 

• Like 1

Before Rth provides any refined numbers: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/american-sniper-shooting-for-massive-60-million-plus-weekend-1201407375/

American Sniper” is hitting the target with U.S. moviegoers with early estimates showing that Clint Eastwood’s Iraq War drama could reach as high as $60 million in the Friday-Monday holiday weekend.

Moviegoers were flocking Friday to see “American Sniper” with an opening day of $20 million plus. It will easily eclipse the $29.5 million for 2008’s “Gran Torino” for the best opening of an Eastwood film and could reach the same territory as the $148 million domestic total.

“Paddington,” boosted by stellar reviews, was heading for about $6 million on Friday but should see a major boost Saturday to around $10 million at 3,003 theaters.

“The Wedding Ringer” grossed $800,000 at 2,354 locations on Thursday night and is on track for a healthy opening in the $28 million to $30 million range for the four-day opening weekend. 

Universal’s cyber-terrorist tale “Blackhat” is heading in the opposite direction. It opened modestly with $179,000 at late shows on Thursday in 1,755 theaters and appears heading for a quiet $7 million from 2,567 theaters over the four-day weekend.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3