LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Movies about this war used to be totally box office poison. Good for hollywood w/ lone survivor and now this (And ZDT did quite well, though not at that level, with the same release strategy 2 years ago) they've finally figured out how to make cash off it.

• Like 1

If it stays above $30 million then even $100 million 4-day becomes a tiny possibility.

You're not wrong there.... 

$32 million

$30 million

$21 million ($83 million) 

$15 million ($98 million 4 day)

$35 million would make it skid across $100 million+ for the 4 day though. 

• Like 1

Movies about this war used to be totally box office poison. Good for hollywood w/ lone survivor and now this (And ZDT did quite well, though not at that level, with the same release strategy 2 years ago) they've finally figured out how to make cash off it.

The fact ththat ZDT was more of a procedars thriller with brutal torture sequences makes its performance even better, IMO. Edited by Spaghetti

Its big and it ain't going down :), about hour ago was thinking it could be as high as 30,see how goes into eve daytime is huge

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Yeah, I can see why Mann doesn't make movies regularly. He really over spends. I still can't believe Miami Vice cost 135m. What a waste of money.

Michael Mann movies are never a waste of money. :)

• Like 9

If last year didn't made it clear enough for studios, this year has without a doubt proved January is as good as any other time to open a movie.

I doubt we'll see huge blockbusters in January but any time of the year can produce huge box office OW if the movie is appealing enough. Lego Movie last year scored with $69m in February and both Lone Survivor and Ride Along had big weekends. 

I wonder if we'll see Hotel Transylvania's September record broken, it might happens with HT2 but I doubt it. The fact that September has no four day weekend like January or February does reduce potential for a huge breakout in that month.

Legendary have had mixed success with the films they finance so Blackhat's failure isn't a surprise, it's not going to get better when Seventh Son is finally released

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

You're not wrong there.... 

$32 million

$30 million

$21 million ($83 million) 

$15 million ($98 million 4 day)

$35 million would make it skid across $100 million+ for the 4 day though. 

98m 4 day would be higher than The Matrix Reloaded's 92m 3 day, which is the highest R-rated opening of all time.  I'm not getting my hopes up for that just yet though lol.

• Like 2

Wow so american sniper could be the highest grossinh war more of all time into states. Bradley Cooper is on a fucking role. Limitless, American sniper, hangover, wedding crashers, silver lining playbook and now this. He will have starred in the highest grossing war film and comedy of all time if this has legs.

Edited by jessie

I won't even put my expectations that high. 100M is just... Wow, can't even think about that right now. I am here for 70M over the 4 day weekend.

Hey Congrats C-John didn't know you were General Moderator now.

• Like 3

Taken 3 and Imitation Game are having absurdly huge OWs over here right now. I love the Awards season  B)

Bring the money Bradley, bring the motherfucking money. I am gonna be honest, I was seeing the live stream of the Oscar Nominations in a class, and I couldn't hold a bit of excitement when he was nominated. He is one of my favorite actors working right now.

He's not a favorite of mine, but I do always enjoy anything he does. And it's just disheartening to see the hate he's getting from all of the elitist film snobs because he keeps getting nominated for oscars. So what? 

• Like 1

WTH??? 30m OD for an R-rated war movie in January? I guess that can only happen in 2015, the year which is going to break records.

There's always an Oscah pic or two that explodes, Sniper gets the honor this year

• Like 2

If last year didn't made it clear enough for studios, this year has without a doubt proved January is as good as any other time to open a movie.

Last year proved that any time of the year is good to open a movie now. April had Cap, August had Guardians of the Galaxy, Nov had Hunger Games. Put out a movie the people want to see, and make the movie good, and the movie will do good. 

• Like 1

Last year proved that any time of the year is good to open a movie now. April had Cap, August had Guardians of the Galaxy, Nov had Hunger Games. Put out a movie the people want to see, and make the movie good, and the movie will do good

well*

It may well be the case that evening business grows, I am checking theaters near me and they are adding showtimes for AS even now. Hobbit, BH6 and Unbroken seem to be the ones losing the showtimes to accommodate Sniper (BH6 for Paddington probably).

It was originally going to be just me going, but now I have my uncle and aunt who want to go too.