Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

whiplash-2.jpg

43. WHIPLASH

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job."

Whiplash is one giant pointed finger that makes almost everyone (and rightfully so) feel guilty for not doing more with whatever talent they may have. Never before in my life have I ever seen a film that so strongly studies ambition, and the costs some people are willing to take in order to achieve their dreams. It's a fascinating psychological study on what drives us and how different each person is when it comes to fulfilling their life goals (sadly, most do not). The most important thing about the film is that it cautions you about the dangers of measuring yourself up to your mentor. I'm sure everyone here has someone somewhere in the world they really look up to, and that's a good thing to an extent. When you start imitating or trying to achieve what they have achieved, then you're basically becoming a cloned version of that person - which kills all your individuality. If there is one thing the world has taught us about people, it's that the men and women we remember most today never followed the rules. They created and cemented their own path. Yea, you're not doing so great in terms of what you can accomplish. Good. At least this film will make you more aware of it. 

JK Simmons is absolutely phenomenal, and Miles Teller is fantastic. Despite having a face worthy of a punch, he still deserved more recognition.

I don't think it's so much a cautionary tale of mimicking your mentor so much as it is about letting your ambition trump your humanity. We see through the time with his girlfriend and his family that Andrew is willing to throw them under the bus to keep working for his goal to the point where his drumming talent is quite literally the only thing he has left come the end of the movie. If you really have the talent, you may be able to make something out of it, but you still have limits. It's definitely persuading its audience to push itself hard in whatever its passionate about, but it understands that we have to make brutal sacrifices within our souls to achieve true greatness. In that regard, it's simultaneously brutal and tragic. Achieving greatness requires much effort, but it can also have more insidious side effects.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 3

Winter Soldier made me tear up, as well. That was near the end where Steve fell into the river. Apart from that, nothing else...

I thought the most emotional part was when he visited his old poon tang in the hospital bed.

• Like 1

I am still not sure about that Anne Frank scene in TFIOS... I do get the idea behind it but while being emotional at first it did leave me thinking whether the movie had really earned that scene.

I think we should discuss this somewhere else but my two cents is that it totally earned that scene.  Hazel had essentially given up on love.  She wouldn't let herself be loved because according to her, she was "a time bomb that would explode and destroy everything around her."  And then she goes to this house where this family had fought for their very lives and even after all of her family had lost their lives, Frank still said that you need to love.  You need to be able to love in order to get the most out of life.  This affected Hazel immensely and it was in this scene that she finally let go and allowed herself to feel that love and dive in head first.  It's a powerful scene and it got me to tear up.  

• Like 1