baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

88) The Fault in our Stars (2014)

Josh Boone

When I first heard about this film, I thought no one would see it because of the depressing subject matter.  Then I kept reading things from posters like Ethan who kept telling all of us that this is one of the most loved books of his generation.  So I finally gave it a chance and bought the book.  I read it quickly and was instantly overcome with emotion.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-21-at-12.46.22-PM.pn

Then I saw the movie and the first time I did, I gave it an 8.5/10.  Then I saw it a second time and gave it a 9.5/10.  I then bought it on BR and now I have it as a 10 and the best film of 2014.  The only reason this isn't ranked much higher is because it's so new.  If I do this list again in a couple of years, I have no doubt it will rank higher.  To paraphrase the book and film, I've saved my ten for this experience.  Cancer is a bitch.  It doesn't discriminate and this is a film about young adults with cancer.  Shaileen Woodley gives what I think is one of the best performances of all time for an actress.  Yes, she is that good.  In this film, she is a cynical and angry young woman who didn't choose to have cancer and she's pissed off about it.  Then she meets Augustus Waters, the impossibly good looking boy who lost part of his leg to cancer and he instantly falls in love with her.  Problem is she will not allow that love to be reciprocated because, as she puts it, "she's a time bomb and when she goes off, she'll obliterate everything in her path."  To which his response is, "To don't get to say if you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you."  

This an emotionally draining film but is also one that will make you smile, make you sad and make you elated that you got to spend a couple hours in the world of Hazel and Gus.  But there's no denying that you should bring some tissue.  Young or old, male or female, this isn't an easy film to sit through without shedding a few.

photo_1.jpg

Shaileen wrote a very passionate letter to the director insisting that she would do anything to be in the movie.  While he initially didn't see someone like her as the main character, she ultimately won him over with her audition.

On the special edition BR commentary, John Boone says that his favourite scene in the film is the love scene between Shaileen and Ansel, and it made him cry.

Shaileen insisted that Ansel read the book before auditioning for the role.

It also has some quotes that will live on indelibly forever.  "I fell in love with him like you fall asleep.  A little at first and then all at once.."  

"Pain demands to be felt."

tumblr_musmbr9rpE1sev7vbo1_250.png

I just took a shit, which is only marginally worse than TFIOS. I thought the film ruined almost all of the emotional moments.

• Like 1

88) The Fault in our Stars (2014)

Josh Boone

When I first heard about this film, I thought no one would see it because of the depressing subject matter.  Then I kept reading things from posters like Ethan who kept telling all of us that this is one of the most loved books of his generation.  So I finally gave it a chance and bought the book.  I read it quickly and was instantly overcome with emotion.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-21-at-12.46.22-PM.pn

Then I saw the movie and the first time I did, I gave it an 8.5/10.  Then I saw it a second time and gave it a 9.5/10.  I then bought it on BR and now I have it as a 10 and the best film of 2014.  The only reason this isn't ranked much higher is because it's so new.  If I do this list again in a couple of years, I have no doubt it will rank higher.  To paraphrase the book and film, I've saved my ten for this experience.  Cancer is a bitch.  It doesn't discriminate and this is a film about young adults with cancer.  Shaileen Woodley gives what I think is one of the best performances of all time for an actress.  Yes, she is that good.  In this film, she is a cynical and angry young woman who didn't choose to have cancer and she's pissed off about it.  Then she meets Augustus Waters, the impossibly good looking boy who lost part of his leg to cancer and he instantly falls in love with her.  Problem is she will not allow that love to be reciprocated because, as she puts it, "she's a time bomb and when she goes off, she'll obliterate everything in her path."  To which his response is, "To don't get to say if you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you."  

This an emotionally draining film but is also one that will make you smile, make you sad and make you elated that you got to spend a couple hours in the world of Hazel and Gus.  But there's no denying that you should bring some tissue.  Young or old, male or female, this isn't an easy film to sit through without shedding a few.

photo_1.jpg

Shaileen wrote a very passionate letter to the director insisting that she would do anything to be in the movie.  While he initially didn't see someone like her as the main character, she ultimately won him over with her audition.

On the special edition BR commentary, John Boone says that his favourite scene in the film is the love scene between Shaileen and Ansel, and it made him cry.

Shaileen insisted that Ansel read the book before auditioning for the role.

It also has some quotes that will live on indelibly forever.  "I fell in love with him like you fall asleep.  A little at first and then all at once.."  

"Pain demands to be felt."

tumblr_musmbr9rpE1sev7vbo1_250.png

Now Ethan will be insufferable

• Like 5

87) Heat (1995)

Michael Mann

Heat is far more than just a standard 'cops and robbers' drama. Unbelievably shot in L.A (using not one sound stage), Heat shows exactly what life in L.A looks like for the characters in this film. The tinted blue, the dark, but beautiful nights of L.A. Michael Mann created one of the most perfect visual masterpieces I've ever seen.However, it isn't only the incredible look to the film, but the story and the all-star cast. There are no slackers here, not when you unite two of the best actors in cinematic history. Al Pacino is over-the-top, incredible, and in one of his finest roles to date. Robert de Niro is at his finest, playing the cool, quiet and lonely Neil. Both create some incredible scenes, both eerie and powerful. Even Val Kilmer doesn't look out of place here, and holds his own with the two screen giants.The script was perfect, layered with thousands of intricate details. At almost three hours, the movie is lengthy, however I would have wanted more. The amount of character development in this film is unprecedented, with Mann carefully showing the viewer exactly how the person would be in real life.

341563.jpgHeat is by far leagues ahead of any other cops vs. robbers movie made to date. Why? Because it doesn't get stuck in that mind frame. Instead, Mann sculpts the stories of many different people's lives, all unified by their drive to get what they want. Mann did a stand-out job.

Trivia:  In the director's commentary, Mann said that Pacino ad-libbed the now famous, "Cause she's got a great ass!" line and Hank Azaria's look of shock is 100% genuine.  

DeNiro and Pacino's first film together where they shared screen time.

Val Kilmer filmed this movie and Batman Forever at the same time.

58a77d6eeecaba042889fdc9676aa4e3.jpg

Yes :wub:

Great one, B.

Loved Al and DeNiro in this of course. That coffee scene was incredible.

Val Kilmer was great too. He's quite underrated as an actor IMO. I have enjoyed him in lots of movies, sometimes he's the most favorite one even.

• Like 3