Impact

Best Actress predictions-2015

I just hope Mara doesn't win. Didn't like the way she slandered the Elm Street remake (shit movie, I know) after Fincher gave her her big break. It came across as even more petty and ungrateful considering that she sucked in it.

I'm rooting for homegirl Vikander, even though her movie looks boring beyond belief.
Edited by The Stingray

I just hope Mara doesn't win. Didn't like the way she slandered the Elm Street remake (shit movie, I know) after Fincher gave her her big break. It came across as even more petty and ungrateful considering that she sucked in it.

I'm rooting for homegirl Vikander, even though her movie looks boring beyond belief.

I call her home girl Vikander too. I think it is between her and Mara for supporting.

What did she say about the Fincher? I've always liked her because she seems down to earth and doesn't really play the game. She is playing the game this year, but it doesn't seem smarmy and insincere.

That being sad, disagreeing with a director's vision I think is fine. Being a bitch about it isn't.

I call her home girl Vikander too. I think it is between her and Mara for supporting.

What did she say about the Fincher? I've always liked her because she seems down to earth and doesn't really play the game. She is playing the game this year, but it doesn't seem smarmy and insincere.

That being sad, disagreeing with a director's vision I think is fine. Being a bitch about it isn't.

I worded it poorly. What happened was, she dissed (in a smug way) the Elm Street movie which she starred and sucked in after she became a thing with The Social Network.

Trying not to be reactionary and a good Oscar predictor is someone who takes their personal preferences out of it.

After seeing Room I thought that Larson should surely be in contention for a nod, but A24 has a weak track record since they are a young and studio and don't have the fiscal means for large campaigns.

That being said, Larson is ALL over Twitter and doing the campaigning herself. Bless her heart, it is quite amusing.

That on top of the People's Choice Award at TIFF seem like a good start to a season and a nod. A24 should campaign this more than just a Best Actress though, it could be a moderate sized player.

I also think that Larson has the narrative and role to be a winner too. Is the Academy really ready to give Lawerence her 2nd Oscar especially since she should've won the year after her first? The only way Blanchett could make noice for a third is if she wins all the critic awards as a pairing of Truth and Carol and gets nommed for Truth. Besides that, nothing seems like a winner.

If Vikander and Mara are both in supporting, then between them (and Jennifer Jason Leigh, Winslet, HBC, Virginia Madsen and whoever else has a shot at a nom there) that category might end up being more interesting than this one. I don't even know the last time that was the case.

Then again, if that opens up a spot for Charlize Theron here, then I'm all for it. 

I'd love to see Nina Hoss nominated for The Phoenix but as a foreign film distributed by IFC but that's an extreme long shot dependent on buzz built from year end critics awards.

By a long shot, you actually mean impossible. ;)

But critic awards should be coming her way!!

Blanchet wont win-she just won 2 years ago and that was her 2nd Oscar, remember it takes a long time for them to give a 3rd Oscar (unless if you are Walter Brennen or in the case of Katherine Hepburn where she tied on her 3rd Oscar), such a case was brought up in 2000 with the famous Crowe vs. Hanks battle at the Oscars. It took Streep nearly 30 years to win her 3rd as well.

Blanchet wont win-she just won 2 years ago and that was her 2nd Oscar, remember it takes a long time for them to give a 3rd Oscar (unless if you are Walter Brennen or in the case of Katherine Hepburn where she tied on her 3rd Oscar), such a case was brought up in 2000 with the famous Crowe vs. Hanks battle at the Oscars. It took Streep nearly 30 years to win her 3rd as well.

You realize a voting body can't reasonably decide this boundaries yeah? The sample size of people who've won three Oscars is way too low to jump to these conclusions anyways.

That being said I was probably just being reactionary to Cate's masterclass performance in Truth and don't think she'll get nominated for that especially with about five detailed raves about her performance in Carol today.

What it comes down to seems to be Lawrence, Larson and Blanchett. The Academy "isn't ready to award" Blanchett or Lawerence again and I'm not sure I see a path for Larson. So, I really don't know.

You realize a voting body can't reasonably decide this boundaries yeah? The sample size of people who've won three Oscars is way too low to jump to these conclusions anyways.

Actually that has been the case A LOT of times for people getting nominated/winning again.

They seem to rarely give a 3rd Oscar for that reason as they just don't give it that soon again even if they did the greatest performance ever.

There have been tons of cases of it being one of the frontrunners as "they just won" (Hanks was an exception also and only the 2nd person to win 2 back to back best actor winners-amusing trivia-him and Spencer Tracy were the same age during both of there wins as well as there 2nd wins were the only years in Oscar history where 3 of the 4 acting wins were repeat winners)

Actually that has been the case A LOT of times for people getting nominated/winning again.

They seem to rarely give a 3rd Oscar for that reason as they just don't give it that soon again even if they did the greatest performance ever.

There have been tons of cases of it being one of the frontrunners as "they just won" (Hanks was an exception also and only the 2nd person to win 2 back to back best actor winners-amusing trivia-him and Spencer Tracy were the same age during both of there wins as well as there 2nd wins were the only years in Oscar history where 3 of the 4 acting wins were repeat winners)

It still isn't a reasonable sample size especially when you have to asterisk a whole bunch of performances. I don't know.

It still isn't a reasonable sample size especially when you have to asterisk a whole bunch of performances. I don't know.

I do agree and it is unfair but whatever its odd.

Anyway I have no clue what to predict-maybe Ronan.