baumer

Reservoir Dogs

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reservoir Dogs

Worst Tarantino film IMO.  Movie doesn't really have a point, long and boring dialogue, stacked with profanity in a juvenile way, and an artless torture seen for no other reason than shock value.This is all style and no substance.

Edited by Ozymandias

Impressive for a first feature, though telling, with the variety of shots and some poor cinematography.However, it is highly overrated. It might have been a test for Pulp Fiction or other films using cutbacks/flashbacks editing but it doesn't really pull it off here.Also, if I remember right the stand-off is a long shot and having to redo it again would be costly and time consuming but it doesn't make sense how Nice Guy Eddie shoots first and at such a close range to miss? He should have reshot it or at least have Mr Pink shoot Eddie. White getting off two shots is not that realistic plus Pink being the professional and opportunist would be totally in character.

Quentin Tarantino is all style and no substance. The only film's I like of his are the Kill Bill movies.

So the only films of his you like are the ones that are the most 'style and no substance'?Anyway, I love RD. It's lean, brutal and funny. A blistering debut that, despite the praise for Pulp Fiction, I don't think he bettered.

was looking forward to my first tarantino. but what the fuck was this? equal parts boring and unpleasant. boring because it's a totally uninteresting gangster movie with boring dialogue, boring photography, boring style and absolutely nothing to say, and unpleasant for obvious reasons. at a complete loss to see how anyone could derive entertainment from this.

D- (25)

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

A very solid directorial debut for Tarantino. Pretty fun and entertaining. Simple plot but very interesting characters, and good acting performances. It's not my favorite work of Tarantino, but I still enjoyed the movie a lot. 

A-

Captivating structure, excellent dialogue & soundtrack (obviously) and brilliant acting from everyone. Keitel and Roth's developing friendship is the beautiful heart beneath all the coolness on the surface. Mr. White's expression in the final shot is the kind of thing that gets burned into your brain from the moment you see it for the first time. 

Also makes a hell of a double feature with another 1992 film about a bunch of guys shouting at each other in an enclosed space (minus the actual violence), Glengarry Glen Ross.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

Movie doesn't really have a point, long and boring dialogue, stacked with profanity in a juvenile way, and an artless torture seen for no other reason than shock value

this.

I feel, especially in the unwatchable first half, that every scene was excessively long for no other reason than lack of money, that the characters kept regurgitating the same shit over and over again. 

40/100

Edited by Goffe Ascending

Ah, how I love Tarantino. And this is his first film.

For being his first independent film, it is great, yet, as a stand-alone film, it leaves a bit to be desired.

A) No real meaning or point to the plot

B) Pointlessly violent (All of his films are violent, but authentically. This film is trying too hard to be as violent as possible, which doesn't seem right.)

However, there is great plot value in the fact that it is riveting.

SPOILER ALERT

The ending scene in which Mr. White, The Boss (Can't really remember his name right now), and his son all shoot at each other was brilliantly suspenseful and well done.

7/10

B