Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

There hasn't been an animated movie released in like 2 months, so Home's # isn't that surprising.

HTTYD2 was the only animates film during Summer 2014, look what that did for it. Plus there is Cinderella which has kids appeal.

Do many people know Rihanna is in this? They might associate HOME more with Jlo ha ha.

Jim, Rihanna and JLO went all out with the promo. I think Jim Parsons could been a factor since Sheldon is a very popular TV character and Oh is basically Sheldon in animated alien form

• Like 1

Wow. Big win for DWA. Looking just at their recent history, I figured the ceiling for Home was $40M. Both openers had the right mix of strong marketing and star power. I honestly feel as if I saw more TV spots for Get Hard than for any other movie this year.

Now let's see if Furious 7 can best Mockingjay next weekend.

• Like 1

This really just happened: im at a local wing spot here downtown my gf, old roomie and his gf, and my old roomie, whos 20 going on 21, goes "yeah we were gonna see Home, but I forgot Duke is playing." I said "Home??" and he was like yep.

Im sure its ancedotal, but still interesting two 20 years old were gonna skip an R rated comedy for a PG kiddie animation.

This really happened: me and my gf were watching a Youtube video late last night and an unskipable Home promo came on. My gf, whos 21, said "oh I wanted to see that!", I said "that?.." And she said yep. Shes a big TBBT fan so its because of Sheldon? Idk I didnt ask her, but maybe this is having more adult appeal than we think?

Edited by Jandrew

I follow a lot of the animated movie runs, so I think I have enough experience to call out posters who simply use "no competition" as an "expected" result for Home.

Perhaps you don't intend to sound like you knew it all, but it certainly comes across as such, especially with illogical statements like those above. 

From How to Train Your Dragon 2 to Rise of the Guardians to Epic to etc. there has been no such basis to establish "no competition" as a reason a film does well or not. Expanding to all movies and seasons, you have months of disappointments, when that shouldn't be the case if all the previous weekends' failures were basically no competition.

Secondly, that discussion about Senators. You all really should know who is supposed to represent you. I don't care about what watching Get Hard makes you seem like; I personally thought the trailer was hilarious, but to pretend that one should not need to care about who their voice in government...well, hey, don't complain about anything else next time alright? From taxes to policies, to police and prices, to loans and jobs...because politics absolutely matters. Just because you don't give a shit doesn't mean what they decide in government will not affect you. That arrogant assumption is the most annoying of all people, of all ages. I mean, I think not more than 70% of people eligible in the US vote. That ignorance of the 30% cannot be ignored. It actually is really plain stupidity, living under a rock by choice. 

HTTYD2 was the only animates film during Summer 2014, look what that did for it. Plus there is Cinderella which has kids appeal.

Let's not pretend as if HTTYD 2 was some sort of massive flop. It was a disappointment, yes, but it still made money. Plus, it was a sequel, which can go either way. (sadly, it went in the diminishing returns direction) Plus, I think the darker tone wasn't really approachable to audiences. If Home, Inside Out and Minions all succeed, it'll follow the Lego Movie example in that bright, vivid colors and a happier tone really do help sell a family film.

At work today one of my coworkers was basically raving about Home, not because it's an animated film... but because "Rihanna! I just had to see it." Another coworker responded about it having "Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory", and that being a major factor. Add that into the lack of animated competition and you got at least an opening weekend success. 

I'm not sure about its legs, but I'm not surprised it broke out so huge. Maybe families are just really, really into seeing movies more than they were last year?

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 2

Let's not pretend as if HTTYD 2 was some sort of massive flop. It was a disappointment, yes, but it still made money. Plus, it was a sequel, which can go either way. (sadly, it went in the diminishing returns direction) Plus, I think the darker tone wasn't really approachable to audiences. If Home, Inside Out and Minions all succeed, it'll follow the Lego Movie example in that bright, vivid colors and a happier tone really do help sell a family film.

At work today one of my coworkers was basically raving about Home, not because it's an animated film... but because "Rihanna! I just had to see it." Another coworker responded about it having "Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory", and that being a major factor. Add that into the lack of animated competition and you got at least an opening weekend success.

I'm not sure about its legs, but I'm not surprised it broke out so huge. Maybe families are just really, really into seeing movies more than they were last year?

I didn't say it was a flop, but the lack of competition didn't do it any favors.

Rank* Title Friday

3/27

(Estimates)

Saturday

3/28

Sunday

3/29

Monday

3/30

1 HOME (2015)

Fox

$15,600,000

-- / $4,207

$15,600,000 / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A

2 GET HARD

Warner Bros.

$12,910,000

-- / $4,066

$12,910,000 / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A

3 THE DIVERGENT SERIES: INSURGENT

Lionsgate/Summit

$6,850,000

+167.7% / $1,768

$71,169,000 / 8

N/A

N/A

N/A

4 CINDERELLA (2015)

Buena Vista

$4,730,000

+111.3% / $1,240

$137,238,000 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A

5 IT FOLLOWS

Radius-TWC

$1,413,000

+3367.6% / $1,160

$2,147,000 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A

6 KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE

Fox

$840,000

+123.7% / $471

$117,214,000 / 43

N/A

N/A

N/A

7 DO YOU BELIEVE?

Pure Flix

$650,000

+117.1% / $479

$5,552,000 / 8

N/A

N/A

N/A

8 RUN ALL NIGHT

Warner Bros.

$630,000

+63.2% / $265

$22,248,000 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A

9 THE SECOND BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL

Fox Searchlight

$625,000

+58.5% / $417

$26,575,000 / 22

N/A

N/A

N/A

10 THE GUNMAN

Open Road Films

$575,000

+76% / $204

$7,340,000 / 8

N/A

N/A

N/A

-

-

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

To be fair, literally the only thing going against Get Hard was the reviews which never affect comedies anyway. If I had some more money, I'd definitely check it out, it looks funny enough and Hart+Ferrell can't be that bad.

Home looks bad IMO, but I will see that in a few weeks, just to keep my DWA streak going.

What a great weekend! Home will make 50M+, GH might touch 40M, Insurgent seems to be holding well and Cinderella, besides having way, way worse drops than Maleficent during the week, it also drops more during the weekend :lol: