CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

We're specifically talking about the Oscars, which means you have to taking on a story that's got a bit more heft that just "fun" (there are exceptions, but that's rare). IMO, Bay doesn't yet demonstrate the sort of nuance to be able to deal with that sort of thing. When I said Spielberg had matured, I didn't necessarily mean that SCHINDLERS is better than JAWS or RAIDERS, but his craft and ability was not only pin-point, not only appropriate for the material, but also incredibly restrained (moreso than his other dramatic efforts).

It might help, for example, if his characters progressed into fully realized non-caricatures. Even the most entertaining people in his movies are painted with a really broad brush.

Your current signature has a Bay feel to it.

I wonder what Miller thinks of Bay.

• Like 1

Ok, yes, that makes more sense.  I understand what you mean.  If every character was more like Chip's son telling his mother that the salesman is on TV, then he will win an Oscar.  But my response to that is when Peter Jackson made Dead Alive, would anyone have thought that he would win an oscar?  When Clint Eastwood directed Heartbreak Ridge, did you ever think he would win an oscar?  Point is, all it takes is one good piece and anyone with a vision can win one.

Sure, but with Peter Jackson, HEAVENLY CREATURES showed real possibility. There's just no Bay film you can point to as a clear sign that he might make that transition or leap or whatever you want to call it. In fact, he seems to be content to be making the exact same sort of movie repeatedly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just isn't gonna push him toward any award recognition, given the sorts of movies he makes).

You're going to tell me that Sam Witwicky is not a great character... Come on.

Great? No, not particularly.

• Like 4

However the Oscars become irrelevant in years where they don't award popular films, like this year. 

What does popularity have to do with quality? For one example, do you honestly think Bieber deserved to win Best New Artist at the Grammys over Esperanza Spalding just because he was (at the time) more commercially successful?

BS! I watched Transformers yesterday and I cried when Bumblebee gets captured just like I do every damn time.

Are you 11?

• Like 3

What does popularity have to do with quality? For one example, do you honestly think Bieber deserved to win Best New Artist at the Grammys over Esperanza Spalding just because he was (at the time) more commercially successful?

Are you 11?

15, not that that matters

I don't feel like that's the same though. For starter Paul Walker is a reoccurring character where as the Joker was one film thing. Also I feel like there are probably people who went and saw this film and had never seen a F+F film before and will never see a F+F again just because of the massive hype surrounding this film. I could be wrong but I feel like this is the peak of the franchise.

Comparing Joker (character) to Paul Walker no disrespect to Walker but the Joker is on an iconic level that Walker hasn't reached. Well anyways both did great and its possible for Fast 8 to see an increase like TDKR did. And you don't think people saw TDK because of the circumstances and led to a bigger OW for TDKR. You really don't see the similarities?

But why do you think it'll be any different than the rest of his movies?

Mainly because it is a political drama more than an action pic. 

Even within Bay's filmography, can you really say that apart from Transformers, all his other movies are the same? Bad Boys, Armageddon, Pain and Gain and The Rock are all completely different from each other (despite a JFK assassination joke being used). 

• Like 1

BS! I watched Transformers yesterday and I cried when Bumblebee gets captured just like I do every damn time.

Are you 11?

Actually I think Ethan is like 15 so we have to excuse his bad taste and just laugh and nod.

• Like 2

I know this is not a pleasing subject, but does FF6's massive OW prove that TDK's OW benefitted a lot from Ledger's death?

No it doesn't. Would need way more actors to die in order to really see a correlation and even then it would be far from perfect.

Bay is immensely talented when it comes to making a dynamic shot. The problem is that he doesn't seem to care about literally anything else.

I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye on this subject.