#ED

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | 532m overseas | 851m Worldwide

5 hours ago, snitch said:

I honestly don't remember such a good negative media campaign for another movie.

To be a campaign it would have to be a coordinated effort.  It wasn't.  Bad buzz built from internal leaks and rumors and that started with WB screenings and insider chatter to the press.

As far as negative buzz I don't think it comes close to John Carter which was a better reviewed movie but was pretty much DOA - maybe because of buzz, maybe because of marketing or maybe people just weren't interested and those that did see it weren't excited enough to tell others to see it.

FF4 (2015) had toxic buzz from before it even began filming and every photo and interview was met with more exponentially until the reviews buried it and Trank tranked himself on on twitter opening day.

Conversely, Titanic had a TON of bad buzz for months leading up to it's release and then it turned on a dime.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

To be a campaign it would have to be a coordinated effort.  It wasn't.  Bad buzz built from internal leaks and rumors and that started with WB screenings and insider chatter to the press.

As far as negative buzz I don't think it comes close to John Carter which was a better reviewed movie but was pretty much DOA - maybe because of buzz, maybe because of marketing or maybe people just weren't interested and those that did see it weren't excited enough to tell others to see it.

FF4 (2015) had toxic buzz from before it even began filming and every photo and interview was met with more exponentially until the reviews buried it and Trank tranked himself on on twitter opening day.

Conversely, Titanic had a TON of bad buzz for months leading up to it's release and then it turned on a dime.

+1

The problem with BvS is not negative media buzz but awful quality. I cannot remember a highly anticipated tent pole movie that pretty much failed in all ares of film making like BvS has done.

This movie opened big even with bad reviews. So that rules out the huge impact of bad reviews. What did BvS in was the terrible WOM.

OS it dropped 68% in the second weekend and 60% in the third weekend. That is just about as bad as I have seen for a big movie. No amount of laughable defense makes it any better. This may be the first big movie to probably end up with a less than 2 multiplier (Dom) or barely squeak past it.

These kind of drops are unheard of and it is not so because of some ridiculous conspiracy. Quality does matter, at least to some extent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

900m is a healthy total for a second film for DCU. Marvel would have loved a start like that. BvS will be soon forgotten. Quality films will be remembered. Expecting huge numbers for SS and solid base set for Batman and Wonderwoman. DCU is off to a great start.

"DCU is off to a great start"

:sadben:

$540 mln OS max. + $345-350 mln DOM = $885 mln WW.

This could finish under Spectre's final gross, and this movie with $245 mln budget (lower than BvS) wasn't in Top 15 hits of 2015 according to deadline (it's #16 with $98.4 mln WW rentals)! That's very, very, very bad for Warner Bros. They deserve it, because film is awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juby said:

$540 mln OS max. + $345-350 mln DOM = $885 mln WW.

This could finish under Spectre's final gross, and this movie with $245 mln budget (lower than BvS) wasn't in Top 15 hits of 2015 according to deadline (it's #16 with $98.4 mln WW rentals)! That's very, very, very bad for Warner Bros. They deserve it, because film is awful.

Yep because BvS merchandise is the same that Spectre...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jb007 said:

+1

The problem with BvS is not negative media buzz but awful quality. I cannot remember a highly anticipated tent pole movie that pretty much failed in all ares of film making like BvS has done.

This movie opened big even with bad reviews. So that rules out the huge impact of bad reviews. What did BvS in was the terrible WOM.

OS it dropped 68% in the second weekend and 60% in the third weekend. That is just about as bad as I have seen for a big movie. No amount of laughable defense makes it any better. This may be the first big movie to probably end up with a less than 2 multiplier (Dom) or barely squeak past it.

These kind of drops are unheard of and it is not so because of some ridiculous conspiracy. Quality does matter, at least to some extent. 

To open huge and fall quickly can happen when fans watch it at the first weekend and others are restrained from watching it because of its bad reviews. And are you sure that the movie is bad or is that only your (own) opinion? (Because there are people who liked it, me too ;))

Maybe some think it's bad because critics say it's bad (so they are movie-experts) or they really think it's bad and this movie divides. Nevertheless $850M is huge even if it's quite disappointing especially after its OW. They will make profit when all is over but less than expected. Some here seem to be exorbitant.

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

Yep because BvS merchandise is the same that Spectre...

That has nothing to do with the point he was making :)

BVS's box-office below Spectre's box-office points to a disappointing box-office performance and that fact won't change no matter how big merchandising is.

Just like Cars 2's dom was disappointing and merchandising was amazing.

Edited by a2knet

This took a 70% nosedive in it's third week in my country. Yikes. A barrage of hit local films does cause it to fall that hard tho, so there's that.

Heading for a 850m+ worldwide total is pretty decent, I think. Not a total disaster, just... kinda there. Pumped for SS and WW tho.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snitch said:

I honestly don't remember such a good negative media campaign for another movie.

I liked the movie more than most but I can't understand this thinking. The movie opened huge everywhere! end of story. Critics, industry buzz, a "negative" media campaign, those things would have mattered mostly on OW but they didn't (except if someone thought BvS should have beaten Star Wars and Jurassic World's WW OW). 

I liked BvS more than anything Snyder's done since Dawn of the Dead, and I thought it was more interesting than many "well-received" CBMs, but how you can deny that general audiences did not liked it at all is beyond me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aristis said:

To open huge and fall quickly can happen when fans watch it at the first weekend and others are restrained from watching it because of its bad reviews. And are you sure that the movie is bad or is that only your (own) opinion? (Because there are people who liked it, me too ;))

Maybe some think it's bad because critics say it's bad (so they are movie-experts) or they really think it's bad and this movie divides. Nevertheless $850M is huge even if it's quite disappointing especially after its OW. They will make profit when all is over but less than expected. Some here seem to be exorbitant.

After the first w/e the narrative by the press was "do critics matter".  Then after the plummet they went back to maybe they do - but at that point they didn't   Opening weekend it sold $420m+ worth of tickets - about 50 million tickets.  The WOM from 50 million people who saw the film >>>>> critics or any pre release press or even at that point marketing.  Some people liked it of course, hell some loved it but a lot of people disliked it, hated it or were indifferent to it otherwise they would have spread much better WOM and recommended to it all their friends and family.   A film does not plummet 70% it's 2nd w/e and then another 60% it's third because of press. 

• Like 5

On 2016/3/21 at 11:09 PM, Ash Skywalker said:

No offence, but you seriously are low balling the BvS multipliers. DOM or WW

On 2016/3/21 at 10:53 PM, Olive said:

Need 450M WW opening to assure 1B WW

On 2016/3/21 at 11:02 PM, efialtes76 said:

No.

On 2016/3/21 at 11:05 PM, Olive said:

You think this will be a leggy movies, MOS barely had 2x multiplier...

On 2016/3/21 at 11:09 PM, Ash Skywalker said:

No offence, but you seriously are low balling the BvS multipliers. DOM or WW

On 2016/3/21 at 11:13 PM, Ash Skywalker said:

So if MOS barely has 2x multiplier this will also have that?  NO. 

Look who's right.:ph34r:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

After the first w/e the narrative by the press was "do critics matter".  Then after the plummet they went back to maybe they do - but at that point they didn't   Opening weekend it sold $420m+ worth of tickets - about 50 million tickets.  The WOM from 50 million people who saw the film >>>>> critics or any pre release press or even at that point marketing.  Some people liked it of course, hell some loved it but a lot of people disliked it, hated it or were indifferent to it otherwise they would have spread much better WOM and recommended to it all their friends and family.   A film does not plummet 70% it's 2nd w/e and then another 60% it's third because of press. 

+1 

I could not have put it any better. :)

@Aristis, I thought BvS was a stinking pile of crap and yes, it is my personal opinion, which also seems to be the majority opinion world wide given the horrible drops worldwide.  

Edited by jb007

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

1. I still believe in my fans-on-first-weekend-theory B) (It partly explains the big drops)

2. Frontloadness isn't inevitably a sign for a bad movie - could also follow a big hype (But if drops are that big you could argue that it does not appeal) But that leads to 3.

3. I'm not a psychologist but maybe the bad ratings by critics have an bad influence on "normal" moviegoers (would not explain why sometimes movies that are worse rated appeal to the audience) Could be wrong expectations. If you watch Transformers you know what you get. Maybe many expected something else.

4. But maybe, because I don't understand why it is that disliked because I liked it, I try to find explanations to me that are - maybe - unrealistic.

But I think this movie can't be that bad that it explains the drops.

Edited by Aristis

On 4/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, ArmGunar said:

1st weekend:

Wed-Sun (23-27/03): $256.5M (OS)

Monday 28/03: $31M (OS) 

Tuesday 29/03: $20.7M (OS)

Wednesday 30/03: $20.9 (OS)

Thursday 31/03: $15.1M (OS)

2nd weekend (-66.7% from last WE)

Fri-Sun (01-03/04): $85.25M (OS) including $19.2M intl Friday (x4.44 multiplicater Fri to WE)

Monday 04/04: $11.1M (OS)

Tue 05 & Wed 06/04: $16M (OS) 

Thursday 07/04: $5.4M (OS)

3rd weekend (-60.1% from last WE):

Fri-Sun (08-10/04): $34M (OS) including $7.6M intl Friday (x4.47 multiplicater Fri to WE)

Just FYI WE #'s in international aren't 3 days its a mix of 2-5 days it all depends on how each territory reports for a weekend (ie Japan 2days, UK 3 days, Australia 4 days, France 5 days) so some of a wed/thu figure is also part of the weekend number. Most of the world has 4 day weekend BO

• Like 4